Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What caliber did the Navy Seals use?

Default What caliber did the Navy Seals use?

I thought i'd put it up since it might seem interesting to analyze. I'll take a guess that is was a personal choice of caliber by each sniper who took out the Pirates. Something in a .30 caliber cartridge.

My guess is .308 or .223.

Either way, they did a great job. I hope they get to do it again real soon. From the morning news, it appears they will. Another US boat was attacked by machine gun fire and grenades.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I wondered about that too. I assumed (I have no knowledge) that it was at least a .308. I would not want to be shooting through a window at 70 yds trying to headshoot someone standing next ot a hostage with a .223.

308 win, 168gr Sierra's

+1 on .308
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Default "Representative list"...

One of these? List at:

http://www.navyseals.com/weapons-demo

Default one of these three

From Navyseals.com

Sniper Rifles
    M14 Sniper Rifle (7.62mm)
    MK11 Mod 0 Sniper Weapon System (7.62mm)
    M82A1 Heavy Sniper Rifle (.50 cal)

Mod 700 SA, Bull Barrel 22", A4 Mc Stock, Fast Loc Pin, Unertl Scope!

Default 308

great job by those boys, but cant help but wonder. 4 bad guys 3 dead, did one of the seals miss?? cant see them leaving one bad guy alive? still great job, sounds like they might be busy over there for awhile

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    great job by those boys, but cant help but wonder. 4 bad guys 3 dead, did one of the seals miss?? cant see them leaving one bad guy alive? still great job, sounds like they might be busy over there for awhile
    As I understand it #4 was on another boat "negotiating" at the time.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    #4 was on the same boat as the Seals. He had boarded purportedly to negotiate, but instead, he used it as an excuse to surrender and not have his head shot at by Seal snipers with .308s.

The seals simultaneously made three head shots on the only three pirates remaining in custody of the U.S. merchant captain. Two of the priates stuck their heads out of a hatch for air. Then, when the third guy, pointing his AK47 at the U.S. captain, came into the Seals' view through the lifeboat's front window, "bang" --x3.

Not bad for a bunch of squids. Just kidding.

Since the range had been greatly reduced by towing them closer and closer, almost an rifle in their inventory would have worked. Those guys have access to pretty much anything they want. You can also pretty much bet that there were more than three guys shooting or ready to shoot. Usually two shooters per target in a hostage situation. When all targets are in the open the count down starts and everyone fires where the zero should be.
    Then the clearing team goes down the tow line while the rescue team goes into the water.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by aknome View Post
    From Navyseals.com

Sniper Rifles
    M14 Sniper Rifle (7.62mm)
    MK11 Mod 0 Sniper Weapon System (7.62mm)
    M82A1 Heavy Sniper Rifle (.50 cal)
    According to the report they used the MK 11 .308 rifles made my knights armament. Probably suppressed but it didnt say in the report.

Regardless, its a bunch of incredible shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Since the range had been greatly reduced by towing them closer and closer, almost an rifle in their inventory would have worked. Those guys have access to pretty much anything they want. You can also pretty much bet that there were more than three guys shooting or ready to shoot. Usually two shooters per target in a hostage situation. When all targets are in the open the count down starts and everyone fires where the zero should be.
    Then the clearing team goes down the tow line while the rescue team goes into the water.

Interesting.

I'm just glad it turned out the way it did. Americans have become such wimps about this type of thing Im glad people are supporting the military for the way they handled it.

I have seen a hard case issued to seal teams that holds an M11 and an M82A1 and all the equipment for both rifles when the company I worked for was biding to make them for the Navy. That was about 10 years back now but I bet they still use them in the field today, and I know they still use the same rifles.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    #4 surrendered himself for medical attention for his hand which had been stabbed with an ice pick by one of the Alabama's crew.

Could they have used a fifty cal?

Point of impact would have been an awesome sight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Could they have used a fifty cal?

Point of impact would have been an awesome sight.
    Great picture, from all the brass he is well rehearsed for the job. Love the 50BMG, but I will pass on the aftermath of it if I can. Seen enough death and blood, it just gets harder to handle as I age.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Smile Mark 12 5.56x45mm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._Purpose_Rifle

This is the rifle Marcus Luttrel packed in his great book "Lone Survivor". He was the Navy SEAL that survived an intense firefight with the Taliban in Afghanistan that killed the rest of his four man team and a whole helicopter of SEAL's and Army "Night Stalkers" that were coming to help them. The mission was to kill a militia leader by silently moving in on the mountain above the village the leader was in and take him out by a single well placed shot and silently getting out of there. Well, that never happened. They ran into trouble before that could take place. Marcus and another SEAL, Mathew "Axe" Axelson were the shooters and they packed Mark 12's. I don't know if this is what the SEAL's used on the pirate's, but I do know they are fond of this rifle, so it's a good possibility.

It is more likely to be the Mk 11, being more fond of the 7.62x51 system and the Mk11, Knight/Stoner rifle has served well for almost 20 years. The civilian out take of this one was the SR-25 though much more tame than the Mk11. The shots were also at short range so little precision was needed, likely could have been made bobbing in the water or from the Zodiac. The moron pirates had no idea their days were numbered from the time they accepted the tow to calm waters. This was the way it was supposed to work, sometimes a plan just comes together well. Justice is served. Hooyah!!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast