Thread: Off Season Fishing - August 2007

Default Off Season Fishing - August 2007

I recieved some excellent advice from AlaskanAuthor for three days of fishing on the Kenai at the beginning of August this year - Thank you very much! I am hoping for some additional help for next year.

I am planning a trip next August and am looking for comments/suggestions about doing it at the beginning of the value season- specifically around the third week in August when the rates appear to drop. My reasearch - mainly the AK Dept of Fish and Game indicates that Silvers would be readily available at that time on the Kenai and other places. It does not look like Reds would be likely though and Pinks are in the off year anyway. I am planning a nine day minimum trip and am also planning at least two ocean charters.

My questions would be

Am I correct about the species?

Has anybody had luck with Silvers in Resurrection Bay around that time?

I am renting an RV but am interested in recommendation on B&B's on the Kenai for a couple of nights of "non-camping"

I have Milepost for planning but are their specific campgrounds that anyone would recommend.

Default August fishing

I think you will find good success fishing for Silvers in Seward, and Homer. Valdez is another good area to book a charter. I hired a guide to fish Kenai River in late August, and did not enjoy the trip. It's hit and miss, and I don't like sitting on anchor all day waiting for a bite. Not my cup of tea. I think you would have more fun bank fishing Deep Creek or the Anchor River.

Default Don't forget your Kodiak option...

If you want off the mainland and wish to defray the crowds, consider the Emerald Isle.

Meet your silvers there September 15th and beyond. The silver fishery can be quite outstanding and is relatively easy.

Your charters at sea will get you there in less than 45 minutes, a big advantage as compared to the mainland in general conveyance.

Rates are reasonable in Kodiak, but you must check around.

Kodiak planning for next fall takes place now, with reservations to be made in the next couple of months.

Thanks for the compliment...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Options

Bass47,

Glad you had a great trip and I am glad AA hooked you up. If you are renting an RV and wishing to chase Reds you have the option of hitting the Gulkana in August 2nd Run. It is not to far from Valdez if you find your-self heading in that direction to hunt for Silvers from the bank.

Fishing the Kenai in August can be a wonderful time. Don't forget about the excellent Dolly Fishing not to mention Rainbows.

If your sticking to the Kenai: Trout, Dolly's and Silvers with left over Reds boucning around in the upper depending on how late you plan on starting your trip. If you fish ealry you will find some Red fishing :-)

Best Wishes & Tight Lines.

Drake's on the Kenai will be opne in 2007 might find a good deal there. It has two docks, on 4 acres on the funny river road side.

Bass47,
    Sockeye this year where awesome on the Kenai River in August. I am a guide and we ran sockeye trips until the end of August and could have kept catching. Silvers where excellant as well. When 90 percent of the guides where fishing silvers we were bringing clients home with hundred pound loads of sockeye and silver fillets. We fished below bings landing, but above swift water park. No crouds beautiful stretch of river.

[quote=bass47;34683]
    My questions would be
    Am I correct about the species?

Has anybody had luck with Silvers in Resurrection Bay around that time?

I am renting an RV but am interested in recommendation on B&B's on the Kenai for a couple of nights of "non-camping"

I have Milepost for planning but are their specific campgrounds that anyone would recommend. .[/quote]

1. Yes, but don't forget about trout, Dollies and Halibut. Silvers on the russian though is only one. Down futher on the kanai past the ferry is two silvers.

2.The Silver Salmon Derby should be going on during then. But you might need to take a boat to catch them.

3.Allot of B&B will drop lower there price right around then. Wish I could give you a recomendation here.

4.The Russain river is one. And if you make it to Homer camp on the spit.Seward you have camping spots there right infrot of the water. Up north you have montana camp ground good silver fishing
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Ak Gary Should You Be The One Giving This Guy Advice After Your Last Season Fishing Performance, If You Disagree Check Your Freezer And Your Photo Album,

You Need To Step It Up Next Year

Don't Worry You'll Bounce Back Budddy!!!

Seal

Go Seahawks