Thread: Sheenjek/Coleen

Default Sheenjek/Coleen

Im heading northeast of Coldfoot with my party this year. Probably as far as the upper reaches of the Sheenjek, maybe The Coleen (Northern 25A). Our target is Moose and Bou. It will be Sept 7th through the 16th. Ive been trolling through this sight and looks like Bou are sort of hit and miss up there in early Sept. My pilot seems sure they will be there but what ive read is enough to get me slightly concerned. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Personal experience? Also this is a drop hunt. Not a float. Thanks.

A friend and I floated the Colleen last Sept - shot 2 nice moose, but probably saw 8-12 caribou total in 10 days floating - uppermost river. A drop-off for 'bou during our time there would have been a complete goose-egg - everybody said the caribou were farther east than normal. I thinnk best bet is talk to the air-taxis and be flexible to change your plans right to the last minute - we changed from sheenjek to Colleen just before we flew due to reports of numerous hunters on the sheenjek - we only saw one other party in 10 days on the colleen!

Wink

Drop camps for Moose can work out pretty good, but for Caribou, it is a hit and miss on both of these rivers, because they are on the move at that time. I would choose the Sheenjek and I would have some means of mobility. Best to go with boat.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

What ever you do........be very careful on the Colleen.......Heimo Korth could pop out of the bushes and karate chop you in the neck.

The Porc caribou herd has mostly been in Canada by the time August has rolled around the last couple of years. Some of the air taxis have pretty much given up on booking caribou hunters in 25A.

Default bummer

Thats what I was afraid of. My pilot wont put us on the north side of the Brooks where I really wanted to go. To late in the year. Doesn't seem that late to me but I guess winter comes on pretty fast that high north. Looks like everyone in my party better get a moose tag for this trip. Thanks for the info.

Been hunting ANWR since '93 every year for sheep and have been up and down the Sheenjek on foot more than once. I don't know any air taxi operators that will fly to the north side of the Brooks in ANWR after 30 Aug. I have seen some huge bou up the headwaters of the Sheenjek...once. Usually don't see many bou. I have never seen a live moose where I hunt but have found lots of winter kill antlers and in fact in one 5 mile drainage found prob 30 - 35+ pairs of drops...approx 8 miles from the nearest possible river bar strip. There are much better places for moose and bou. If you should try for moose I would float - most people float from the Divide Mountain strip down the Sheenjek but watch out for ice since there can still be areas of the river covered with ice and overflow ice on the shore up to some 6' high! Had an acquaintance and his father get sucked under the ice while floating in ANWR one summer and almost didn't live to tell about it! I don't know anything about the Colleen. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    My pilot wont put us on the north side of the Brooks where I really wanted to go. To late in the year.
    That is pretty standard with most of the air taxis I have worked with up there - no north slope after the end of August.

Im heading northeast of Coldfoot with my party this year. Probably as far as the upper reaches of the Sheenjek, maybe The Coleen (Northern 25A). Our target is Moose and Bou. It will be Sept 7th through the 16th. Ive been trolling through this sight and looks like Bou are sort of hit and miss up there in early Sept. My pilot seems sure they will be there but what ive read is enough to get me slightly concerned. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Personal experience? Also this is a drop hunt. Not a float. Thanks.
    Early in the season (August) usually a few groups (usually bulls) in the very headwaters, most often gone by late August. Larger herds sometimes present but really "hit and miss". Usually moose start showing up, north of Double Mountain between the 5th and 10th of September.
    Joe (Ak)

Default Another question

What if we were to go to the upper reaches of the East Fork Chandalar (North of Arctic Village) ? Wouldn't we be into the Central Arctic herd?

What if we were to go to the upper reaches of the East Fork Chandalar (North of Arctic Village) ? Wouldn't we be into the Central Arctic herd?
    Not nearly as good as the upper Sheenjek R. for moose and chances for caribou (at least north of Red Sheep) certainly less. On some years caribou will travel the upper Westfork and drop into the East Fork, however most of the time they go down the Sheenjek.
    Always considered the caribou in the area to be part of the western arctic herd.
    Please e-mail me if I can be of help.
    Good luck
    Joe (Ak)