Thread: Denali Highway Bear and Trail report

67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson

Default Denali Highway Bear and Trail report

Just an update from last weekends activities. We took a load of supplies into the lodge, and spent some time looking for bears. We scouted up Windy Creek, Valdez Creek, down by the Big Su and Clearwaters. There has been no movement of bears as of yet, even though the temps have been in the 40's during the day. I expect any day those critters are going to break out of thier dens, and start looking for breakfast! The snow is holding on well, and the ride in from Cantwell was excellent! The DOT has already plowed in 7 to 10 miles and they have large area plowed to park at that point. They told me last week they will start opening the highway up starting on April 15th. I don't know how far they will get by the weekend, but I can't wait to be able to drive supplies in! Hauling all the supplies in 63 miles on sleds is arduous to say the least! If anyone is out and about up there, I would sure like an update on the plowing and how far they get by Friday.

Snow is holding on well, and the riding is great in from Cantwell to 68. I expect it to be rideable until mid May, depending on how the temps go of course.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Experience Real Alaska!

Eagle River,AK

The last two years the State has gotten to Brushkana by end of the second day. You should be good to go to there by the Sat morning. Thanks for the report!

Eagle River (Home!)

How good is the riding up (South of the Road) Brushkana Creek, looks like it is flat for awhile. Suppose the snow is soft and sugary, don't need another weekend like last one.

Next time you go past the homestead up behind the Susitna Lodge, could you take a photo....? Thanks.
    "The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."