Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to kill an octopus?

Default How to kill an octopus?

Ok, so I tell my son that the forum folks have me conviced I really need to eat the next octopus we catch in the shrimp pot.....and he says "so, uh, how do we kill an octopus, we could whack it but the head's kind of slimy and big, where's the brain? Or, do we stick a knife somewhere? Or, just start cutting it up?

And I say "sounds like a forum thread"....so how do you kill an octopus?

Default Worked for me

I had one wrapped up in a shrimp pot last season and after I lost patience trying to get him out I stuck a fillet knife in the top of his hood, he went limp as a noodle. I assume it would work again but others may have a better way. Good eating by the way!!

Default this is one way.

years ago when i used to dive monterey bay i would take an occasional octopus.. the traditional portugese method (or so i was told) is to bite them on the nerve center between the eyes. i recall one time i brought a small octo up and when i was at the surface got my buddy's attention and said "hey, watch this!" bit it and he nearly choked on his regulator... later when we were in the parking lot and our cooler of fish was open with the octo on top a nice family of tourists with 4 teen and pre-teen daughters came by .. "oooh... it's moving!!" "whoops, here... CHOMP!".."EEEEK!!!"
    priceless.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I imagine you could just wack it on the head with your fish bonker to kill it. I caught a little one while halibut fishing years ago, I cut off pieces of the legs and used it for bait, it worked pretty good

Default Thanks Dave.....

now we'll probably have to draw straws to see who gets the first bite

So, Hoose, did cutting the legs off work to kill it or work for halibut bait??

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    years ago when i used to dive monterey bay i would take an occasional octopus.. the traditional portugese method (or so i was told) is to bite them on the nerve center between the eyes. i recall one time i brought a small octo up and when i was at the surface got my buddy's attention and said "hey, watch this!" bit it and he nearly choked on his regulator... later when we were in the parking lot and our cooler of fish was open with the octo on top a nice family of tourists with 4 teen and pre-teen daughters came by .. "oooh... it's moving!!" "whoops, here... CHOMP!".."EEEEK!!!"
    priceless.
    That is so funny... and apparently true!
    How to kill an octopus.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default Wyo2AK

Great video, I gotta try that.....I guess the tentacles won't grab your face and not let go!

My friend from Hawaii just picked it up and bit it between the eyes. Dead as a door nail.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I turn the mantle inside out and pull and cut out the innards. they are a little bit of work but i really like eating them and am glad when i get one in a pot.

Default The pros cut the beak out...

Flip it over, cut the beak out with a sharp knife. Don't bonk it or stab it unless you want ink spooge all over.

Default Kids and octopus

If you have kids don't kill it right away. Place it into a cooler with a lid. Let it alone for 2-3 minutes and then peek in. "Usually" they will change color close to the color of the cooler. Then place a few colored objects in there that are darker. Repeat the process. The octopus should adjust his color to the surrounding conditions. Next pick it up and hold two legs apart spreading it out. New color, RED.

Which you might be too if someone had you held in the air with your legs spread apart.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default killing an octo

I used to do alot of long lining when we would catch a octopus we would gaf him in the head and cut all of his legs off that pretty much incapacitates him
    great halibut bait once you bait the octopus on you can catch up 4 or five halibut before you have to put on a new piece
    real tuff bait

Or just cut off 4 of the 8 legs. They will regenerate and it the octo lives on. Or if small and want the whole thing, put in a large ziplock. They just simply suffacate. Mostly I would just cut off 4 of the legs.

Carefull picking them up. They are mushy and I had one bite the the edge of my finger nail.

We caught one last year in a pot. It was so large it filled more then half of the pot. We ended up cutting off all the legs. They were squirming around for at least two hours, they were even tied up in a trash bag in a cooler. So I guess I'll try taking a bite out of them next time, lol.

No, cutting off the legs didn't kill it, actually the legs still moved after being cut off, this is why I think it worked so good as bait

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Great video, I gotta try that.....I guess the tentacles won't grab your face and not let go!
    When I read that all I could think of was the movie Alien, when the octopus like creatures would leap at your face.

We would make an incision 1 long in the butt area. The octopus will turn itself inside out rather quickly, so at that time you can clean its ink bag, lungs ect ect without all the mess. I would sell the rest to the black cod fleet for bait. Simple & easy without the bite.

Default Kiss of Death

You know for 21 years I thought my Grandfather had super powers. When we were out in the bay he caught an octopus in one of his pots. He brought it up, pulled it out and said he was going to give it a magical kiss Cool video and now it all makes sense. Thanks
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default turn the hood inside out

feel around the base of the hood and feel for the connecting points, kinda like the snaps on a snap on hood and pull over its self and then carfully cut out the exposed inards.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Or just cut off 4 of the 8 legs. They will regenerate and it the octo lives on. Or if small and want the whole thing, put in a large ziplock. They just simply suffacate. Mostly I would just cut off 4 of the legs.

Carefull picking them up. They are mushy and I had one bite the the edge of my finger nail.
    I think if you cut off half its legs it will bleed out and die anyway so you just wasted a good octopus. In my opinion either let'em go whole or keep it and eat it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast