Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brown Bear Charge Question

Question Brown Bear Charge Question

Just got done watching a Moose/Brown Bear hunt on the outdoor channel, DVR is the best thing invented, but they took a brown bear out of Cardova, well 2 out of there. Crew and guide stalked a boar and took a shot about about 50 yards. The bear jumped and turned and walked away and then they shot again. Just as the second shot rang you could see a sow and her cubs crest a little grassy mound and they spotted the crew and shooter. The sow with cubs started to charge. The guide jumped up started to yell to scare them away but she kept coming, he lowered the gun, allowed her to get within 8 yards and shot. The guide seemed very upset and said it was unfortunate but just wonding how much you scan the area for other bears when you shoot. The film showed him come over the grassy mound and then prepare to shoot. I am sure they looked around before but just didn't know how common this was for all of them to be together. At the end of the show there was a note to say that it was investigated by Fish and Game and was deamed to be a DLP (Defense of Life and Property) and they were cleared.

Found it intresting to watch but just didn't know how common it was.

Exclamation

I have seen this show and i think he did the right thing,that bear was coming like an express train right at him,and i think he said something like this about the charge "there were no question about the bears intentions".It was a kill or be killed situation.I think he did the right thing ,fish and game also did..

"How good do I scan the area before shooting a bear?"

The best I can!

This year I had to shoot a DLP bear. If I could have done it any other way I would have! But apparently this bear was not viewable from my glassing point which is almost always the case when glassing a mountain and I didn't know it was there until it charged me from the brush!

- Clint

Default no-brainer

it's not even up for debate, the bear had to die.

I'm always watching for bear, and especially bear sign, simply to try to stay one jump ahead of what's going on around me.

Haven't seen the show (I refuse to watch the OC), but your description and the official findings make it sound like a credible DLP.

Each bear is different, and in my experience very few "charges" are the real thing and justify shooting. I've been charged several time, but never felt the situation justified a shot.

Two examples from this season: I startled a 4- or 5-year old in broken country, and it ran from me like a scalded cat--- almost over the top of my wife and our hunting companion. It was coming at them like 90, but veered and went on over the hill. From their viewpoint it was a charge, but that poor little guy only wanted out of there.

A second "charge" actually was a charge, sort of. A couple of young-of-year cubs appeared suddenly about 50 yards from me, with mom right behind. Her head came up when she saw me and she made three big stiff legged hops toward me, woofing each time her feet hit the ground. She stopped about 30 yards out (remember, I said they were big hops) and stood broadside to me. I slowly started backing up and she ran back to her cubs and chased them into the bushes.

Was she charging? Yup. Did she mean to hurt me? Nope. She was just being a good mom. I was startled, but wouldn't have felt justified in shooting her unless she started again after stopping. In fact, I didn't even raise my gun.

Each situation is different, and more often than not you simply can't see the bear beforehand.

You can go to Cabela's online and watch the video. It was a bummer deal but that bear was NOT going to stop and the guide did every thing he could to prevent the mishap, including waiting till the bear was at 8 feet! on a dead run before he shot. IMO he waited a little to long , but none the less he did everthing he could. Great video and codos to the guide for keeping a cool head.

On my DLP bear, I was stalking a black bear and was within' 100 yards of where I had last seen it. I was approaching a clump of alders when I heard movement coming toward me. When the brown bear appeared it was approx 25 yards. The second it saw me it drop it's head and charged. I made a mental note of a small bush just in front of me,(approx 8 yards) as soon as the bear crossed that line I hit it in the head with my .300 Wtby. It dropped and rolled about 5 feet from me. I jacked another shell in as it flew by and hit it in the shoulder.... It happened FAST!

My Brother-in-law was right behind me and didn't even see or know what was happening until it was almost over. He said that all he saw was a blur of fur going by! It was very close!!!

I too have been bluff charged before and I knew as soon as this bear looked at me that it meant to harm me! I hope I never have to shoot another DLP bear again... I don't mind being charged if it's the bear that I want though. I kinda like the whole danger thing....

- Clint

Its really up to you to judge the situation and decide what is best.In this perticular charge i think he did the right thing...He maked sure before he took the shot to try to scare of the bear,thats the right way to go i think.Shouthing first then take the shoot but only if your life is in danger.

Default Bear

First off the bear was at 8 yards not 8 feet (huge difference). I've watched the video on tv a couple of times. It looks to me that she is pulling up just as the guide shoots. Would have been able to tell for sure if the camera guy had the nads to stay where he was in the first place. Not saying I would have let her come any closer. It all happens real fast and I would probably have shot her too.

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    it's not even up for debate, the bear had to die.
    no question it was a needed shot, but just wondered for those that have been charged if a warning shot would be enough to send the message to a bear (if you have room to chamber another round) or once the bear starts its path, nothing will stop it.

I've never had a warning shot do any good at all- whether a 270 grain 375 H&H bullet between the ears at close range or into the water/mud in front of a bear. Cracker shells have worked for me, but only with the provision that they stop and explode between you and the bear rather than go off behind the bear. Shoot them into the ground or pay the price. Oh my!

I'll save my bullets for the real job, but always till the last possible moment and aimed precisely so it's a one shot argument if at all possible. In the experience of friends who work on fish wiers around lots of bears, a high pitched scream works better than a warning shot, but my mouth has always been too dry to try it. Sure my vocal cords have been stretched tight enough for a silent dog whistle, but there ain't much air moving around.

Default Where can we see it?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    You can go to Cabela's online and watch the video. It was a bummer deal but that bear was NOT going to stop and the guide did every thing he could to prevent the mishap, including waiting till the bear was at 8 feet! on a dead run before he shot. IMO he waited a little to long , but none the less he did everthing he could. Great video and codos to the guide for keeping a cool head.
    Sled Dog, Where can we see the video online on Cabela's? I've checked all over and can't seem to find it-

I saw the video also. It was on the tsiu river closer to Yakutat I believe. I think what ever you do,you will be critized after by some. Some like to think they would have done something different. I myself think it was justifiable DLP. She had a cub with her and that kicks in some strong instincts. Twenty four feet and coming is waiting long enough for me as well as for the ADFG.
    goldbelt

Here is the link for those that havent seen it.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...equestid=64709

Click on the moose and brown bear hunt

Would have been a dead sow for sure if it were me. She got way too close to wait any longer.

Default Done all he could have

In my opinion the guide did all he could have to save the life of the sow. That sow came running at the sound of the shots, like the island bears do, and putting a shell in the dirt would have made little difference other than send her into an all out rage at a higher gear. I have looked close at the video and it appears that there may have been four bears in the area, but they did not show up until after the first shot and the bore was down. It could be that the fourth bear was the wounded bore moving over the sand hill in the background. This is just observation and not bring any questions into play. I have to also give credit to the assistant guide for not putting a slug into her a lot sooner, and to the hunter for not shooting the guide in the back.

This was a great guide doing what had to be done at the last possible moment.... Great Video!

Default Not sure

Not sure what was on that sow's mind. I don't blame them for killing her. You shouldn't have to wait til someone gets mauled to shoot.

The only thing I can think of was she either heard the shots and came to see what was up then saw the guys trying to wave her off and yelling and that put her in a panic for her cub. Orrrr she was used to gunshots meaning there was some food around and she got aggressive. But I think she saw the boar go down and roll around. Hard to tell from the angle of the camera. I'm thinking she was just being protective. Bears don't have the best eyesight I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by winkhink View Post
    no question it was a needed shot, but just wondered for those that have been charged if a warning shot would be enough to send the message to a bear (if you have room to chamber another round) or once the bear starts its path, nothing will stop it.
    I think it depends on the situation and the distance you are from the bear!

The only reason I was able to get another shot off before she was on top of me was I had killed her with the first shot. Had I of missed I WOULD NOT be writing this! It was 5 feet from me and rolling by down mountain when I hit it the second time. It was so close I pointed (didn't aim) my rifle and hit it where I was pointing! In my situation there is no way I would have shot a warning shot......

- Clint

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    First off the bear was at 8 yards not 8 feet (huge difference). I've watched the video on tv a couple of times. It looks to me that she is pulling up just as the guide shoots. Would have been able to tell for sure if the camera guy had the nads to stay where he was in the first place. Not saying I would have let her come any closer. It all happens real fast and I would probably have shot her too.
    Yeah ok 8ft, 24ft, still way TO CLOSE, PERIOD! Looks real close on the video. In that situation timing is crutial, had he missed that shot or hit a bad shot that bear was going to mess one of them if not all up real bad. I've been bluffed before and it is not a "THRILLING MOMMENT" that I would wish on any one. The way that bear was coming it would of never made it to 8yrds. My own opinion.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmnt View Post

That sow came running at the sound of the shots, like the island bears do,
    Where do people keep getting this idea from?

If bears, Island bears in particular just came to the sound of a shot, why do so many hunters spend so many hours glassing for bears? All they would have to do is sit on the beach, fire a shot and every bear in hearing distance would be in their lap for them to have their choice of bears. But heck, once you shot the bear of your choice, how would you get rid of all the rest of the bears that came into the sound of the shot. The shot used to kill the bear of your choice would just bring them in closer.

I spent 12 years hunting the Islands of SE Alaska and have never had a bear come in too the sound of the shot when I shot a deer or goat. I guess they didn't like the sound of my 243, 280 remington, 45-70, 357 Magnum, 7.7 Japanese or whatever else I was using at the time. Can somebody please tell me what the favorite caliber gunshot sound is for bears so I can quit doing so much spotting and stalking?

Talking

I keep hearing about the bears coming to a shot thing but I've never actually met someone that it's happened to. I have never been talking to someone about their hunting trip and had them say, "well I'll never go to XXX island again... everytime we shot a deer we had to kill 2 or 3 bears that heard the shot... You know how they come runnin" when they hear the shot............"

But I think this is a fun Urban Legend to keep going, at least all of the sissy's won't be on the island's hunting deer. Maybe we can step it up a little by sending out fake e-mailed pics of 14' brown bears that "came to the shot!" and will be put on display at the airport to remind visitors of the real danger of bears coming to the shot.............

- Clint

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast