Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Knik River PUA Cleanup

Default Spring Knik River PUA Cleanup

Spring Jim Creek Cleanup
    at the Knik River Public Use Area (otherwise known as Jim Creek)
    May 16, 2009 - 10AM until 4 PM
    Sign in at the Pavilion Parking Lot (10.5 miles north on the Old Glenn Hwy/Knik River Rd from the New Glenn Hwy turnoff, turn east (right) on Sullivan Ave (toward Raceway Park) 1.25 miles, parking area on the right)

Help clean up the favorite, largest, most accessible ATV riding area in Alaska.

Make a day of it with friends and family - work a little, play a little, meet new people and old friends and enjoy a fun and rewarding day! We supply the bags and trash disposal; you bring your gloves, your family and friends, sense of humor and favorite way to get around the area! Everyone who collects a bag of trash will be entered in the Door Prize Drawing and gets a plate at the BBQ!

Cleanup starts at 10 AM, the BBQ starts at 2:00 PM with the Door Prize Drawing at 3 PM.

Last year 425 volunteers collected 9.5 tons of trash at the Spring Jim Creek Cleanup. This year we are looking for 500 people to come out and help. This Cleanup has in the last 6 years collected almost 70 tons of trash from this area. The great part is that the first year 50 of us collected over 14 tons and every year we have more people helping, and are collecting less trash. We are making a difference, a huge difference! The first year we worked with rakes and shovels, last year some people had to really scramble to fill a trash bag! People are noticing that ATVers are the ones spending their time and working at making it a better place.

Let your friends that ride know when the Cleanup is this year, tell a few who haven't been yet and we will all have more fun that last year!
    Mike

Posted in the main to let the folks who don't normally follow the Jim Creek thread a chance to hear about it.
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Last year someone used a magnet system to pick-up all the nails left from people burning pallets. I was there last week and noticed several "burn-areas" some with partial pallets in them. So when you are driving around the parking area be careful of these as you will get a nail in your ATV or tow vehicle or trailer. I hope the guy with the tow around magnet will return again this year. If anyone knows who he is, try to contact him and get him out there.

Default sweep

The Pavilion will be swept (by magnet) on May 9 this year. If you are going to be out there please follow the directions of the helpers to park in an area that has been swept.

Alaska ATV Club

Thought DNR had their new rules in place , and everything was under control, so why do we still need a cleanup.

Unhappy rules

Why do we still need police and jails if we have laws?

Quote Originally Posted by aaalaska View Post
    Thought DNR had their new rules in place , and everything was under control, so why do we still need a cleanup.
    Are you trying to make a funny? If so you fail....

On another note... Mark, eeeeerrrr I mean Palmer, since you are so elightened with the KRPUA issue how about you show up for the cleanup. An actual visit every once in awhile might boost your rhetoric.

Question multiple user names per person

Seems like more and more often I see statements and questions about people that might have multiple IDs on this forum. Is it time to devote a separate and new thread in the GD area to this topic?

I'll have the family out there camping the entire weekend again this year. We had a blast last year. I got to meet many forum members face to face. Come out and have some fun while improving a great piece of public land!!

I always got some extra beverages if anyone wants to stop by my camp site.

My whole family and I will be there. Looking forward to it since I have been laid up for the past couple of months with shoulder surgery.

Al

Default Two Mudd-Ox's

We should have two of our Mudd-Ox's out there. We can throw whatever fits in the Plaschem Fat Rat and Pac Rat trailers. Here is a pic of them last weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ADUKHNT View Post
    I'll have the family out there camping the entire weekend again this year. We had a blast last year. I got to meet many forum members face to face. Come out and have some fun while improving a great piece of public land!!

I always got some extra beverages if anyone wants to stop by my camp site.
    ADUKHNT,

Still not sure if I am going to take my 5th wheel out there again this year but I think I will. If I do, I will try to camp in the same spot as last year. Let me know and I will save you the same spot you had last year. Either way, I will be out there for the clean-up at least!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default This coming Saturday!

mark your calendars folks!
    Actually its so close now you could write a reminder on the back of your hand!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

Default Final Preparations

The final preparations are all coming together. So much to do, so little time. It's tough to concentrate on this when it's so sunny out!
    See all of you out there Saturday morning.

Hooking up the 5th wheel in a few minutes and headed out for the cleanup...its raining out here in Palmer but should be gone by midnight. That will keep the dust down tomorrow. See you folks out there! It's going to be a great weekend!!!!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Default Tomorrow is the day

See you there Muddy. Try to save a spot for the tent in the usual area, it's been reported by Mike to be 30' x 30'. Close up to the trees is fine. We will be trickling in around 7am. What kind of rig do you have, It's no problem to rudely bang on the side and wake you up!

I'm glad to see some rain before the big day. I already have enough Knik silt clogging up my veins and lungs.

Default Snort, Snort, Spit, Spit....

I know what you mean! I'll take a little drizzle over a dust bowl anyday!
    I would suggest to everybody to bring your Helly Hansen raingear just in case the "predictions" are wrong. Prediction = glass ball. Doesn't really matter, some of the best cleanups were done in the rain. It's more important to get the job done and have a good time while you do it and to feel good about it at the end of the day. At least with this, it's hard to bad mouth the organized motorized crowds for trying to do something good. Although I know somebody will find fault, we really are trying to make it better!

Quote Originally Posted by RockHound View Post
    See you there Muddy. Try to save a spot for the tent in the usual area, it's been reported by Mike to be 30' x 30'. Close up to the trees is fine. We will be trickling in around 7am. What kind of rig do you have, It's no problem to rudely bang on the side and wake you up!
    RockHound, sorry I missed your post...I had the big Keystone Raptor 5th wheel and the red Yamaha Rhino. We had a great time and loved seeing all the folks that came out to help. Looked like everyone we saw was having a blast!!!! Glad to say my family finally joined the ATV club!!! Looking to meet, greet, and ride with some new folks...

as for waking me up at 7am...you might wake the wife up but I am usually up between 4am and 6am. If you ever see me out on the trail flag me down...the Rhino is not hard to recognize...

2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Default 2009 Cleanup is in the books!

First of all I want to thank everyone who came out to help, and the companies that helped us put it on. It seemed to me that everyone was having fun and we bagged a lot of trash for an enjoyable day.
    We had 375 people sign in, 50 less than last year, and picked up 9.5 tons of trash, about the same as last year. I seriously didn't think there was that much trash out there but you found it and brought it in. Post up what you thought of the "pickings", getting harder, going farther, new trash or old stuff.... I'm curious where you are finding it.
    Again, thanks to everyone who came out and everyone who helped us out.
    Without you folks, this wouldn't happen at all!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

Mike I couldn't make it up there this year, but I was wondering if you ever thought of doing the cleanup at Sutton; like maybe next year.

BTW thanks to those that made it happen I will make it next year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast