Thread: Aftermarket reel handles on saltwater reels

Default Aftermarket reel handles on saltwater reels

Is anybody running one of the aftermarket handles on their reels? I have a pair of shimano tld 20II's on my jigging rods, and on one of them the factory plastic handle broke. So I turned one up from aluminum on the lathe and pressed it in place. I found when cranking up lings I'd get an occasional twinge in the nerves in my arm, not a good thing. So I've been debating going to aftermarket handles. I'm leaning towards the tiburon t-bar light, but also see power handles as an option. Just wanted to get feedback on the various options and pros/cons.

Paul,

I have a dozen saltwater reels of various size that I use mostly on tuna trips and Baja trips......I have developed arthritis in my hands and have converted all my reels with after market cranks.....Two Tiagra 50s have the the Tiburon handle and it is strong and comfortable but their model I tried for TLD 20 was not much improvement as the knob is still too small.

Some of the new TLD reels [A series I think] have a very nice crank and I have upgraded to that on a couple reels.....I also like the Reel Colors handles that have a Hypalon swivel knob.....the quality cranks are not cheap.

Check with that reel repair guy on Arctic and see if one of the new Shimano handles will fit your reel....

IMO, the greatest improvement in big game reels lately has been in the crank......I seldom ever use low gear or buy two speed reels anymore.....just get a longer crank with a bit more leverage.....Let me know if I can help......

Vern

Vern,

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to avoid nerve damage, and after the twangs I felt last year I figure I should upgrade the cranks on these reels. I also have a tld 20 single speed, and I've found that factory handle which is both smallar and shorter is more comfortable.

THIS IS JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH......JIGGING HAS COME A LONG WAY...THE TLDS ARE WAY TO HEAVY TO JIG WITH...SHIMMANO HAS THE OCEA JIGGER 4000 THAT HAS THE CUSTOM HANDLES AND FULL CRANKING POWER AND A SPOOL LOCK THAT YOU CAN USE IF YOU GET HUNG ON THE ROCKS WITHOUT LOOSING A BUNCH OF LINE.....I USE ALL ACCURATES AND PRO GEAR REELS.SUPER LIGHT AND POWERFUL DRAGS....CHECK OUT WWW.ANGLERS-PROSHOP.COM I HOPE THIS HELPS.....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

google "alantani"

He has access to some nice, ergonomic replacement handles (made by a Kolekar fellow, I think).

Default like this

I was thinking more along the line of this

Quote Originally Posted by paul h View Post
    i was thinking more along the line of this
    looks good did you make it?