Thread: Second steering station

Default Second steering station

My "new" 04' 26-Alaskan Hewescraft is a dual outboard, no kicker. (I don't even know if there would be room for one). How hard or expensive would it be to put a rear steering station on the boat? (it has Hydraulic steering).
    I think I will need this because I'll be trolling and sometimes drifting trying to keep the lines straight and stuff.

I imagine it'll be at least as much as a dedicated kicker, likely much more if you have someone do it. It's akin to having a mudroom added to a house, if they add it while they build it, not much more work. If you add one to an existing house, alot of work for a seemingly simple job.

The helm unit should be aprox 350-400 bucks add some hoses and a steering wheel and your done. Mounting them is quite easy but hooking up the hoses tends to make a mess with hydro oil but a bag of oil diapers soaks it all up.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Helm unit

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    The helm unit should be aprox 350-400 bucks add some hoses and a steering wheel and your done. Mounting them is quite easy but hooking up the hoses tends to make a mess with hydro oil but a bag of oil diapers soaks it all up.
    Sounds affordable PB, but any idea where to get them? I called West Marine and they said they did not stock them.

Default ANother option...

Another option would be to hook up an autopilot and use a wireless remote. The Garmin TR1 is a good option for this. Either the regular one, or if you decide you want the kicker you could get the gold version (for kickers). The only problem I would see is you would have to pick one of your motors to hook it up to and this one would have more hours.

Just another option to consider.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Sounds affordable PB, but any idea where to get them? I called West Marine and they said they did not stock them.
    Just call Fisheries Supply in Seattle and they will have everthing you need.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Just call Fisheries Supply in Seattle and they will have everthing you need.
    Will do, Thanks!

Default What?

Another option would be to hook up an autopilot and use a wireless remote. The Garmin TR1 is a good option for this. Either the regular one, or if you decide you want the kicker you could get the gold version (for kickers). The only problem I would see is you would have to pick one of your motors to hook it up to and this one would have more hours.

Aren't twin motors tied together to begin with??? They are on my boat. If you hook up an auto pilot to one, it should work on both, or am I missing something???

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post

Aren't twin motors tied together to begin with??? They are on my boat. If you hook up an auto pilot to one, it should work on both, or am I missing something???
    He's saying if you troll--you only run one motor trolling so that one would have higher hours that it's twin.
    The things is that there are times I will be going in forward and reverse to keep the lines straight down, for example fishing in 2000 feet of water for black cod, or drifting for halibut sometimes I use reverse.