Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Airlines questions

Default Alaska Airlines questions

I've heard from a few people that I won't be able to take my camping stove or empty fuel bottles (MSR simmerlite) as checked baggage on Alaska Airlines. I checked the airline's website, and it does not mention this policy. Are you able to take a stove and bottle as long as it is cleaned and has no gas smell?

Also, it looks like you can take up to 3 checked bags for inter alaska flights for no charge (Anchorage to Adak). Am I reading that correctly?

Actually, it looks like Alaska airlines says you can carry a stove as long as it has no fuel residue. I wonder where the rumour saying you couldn't came from?

Default Fuel

The stove isn't the problem ! Compressed fuels aren't allowed on comercial passenger airlines, even as checked baggage. Contact AA for conformation but I'm pretty sure this is correct. Liquid fueled stoves will be a little different but I don't think you can carry fuel.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Checked baggage I doubt it. No matter how well you clean them, there will always be residue in the bottles. If you try and smuggle them through, TSA will probably catch them and you will land in Adak with no camp stove and a little note from the TSA in your bag. They have a habit of not telling you if they confiscate stuff from your luggage.

You will probably have to ship them cargo as hazmat. It will cost you some $$ for the hazmat fees and such, but the fines for trying to smuggle them undeclared are much higher. Ship them in advance to ensure they get there in time. If you try and ship as cargo the day of the flight it will not make it and you will be stuck in Adak for three days with no camp stove or fuel.

I used to work cargo for Alaska Airlines for over 12 years and have seen many times what happens when guys try and smuggle camp fuel and ammo undeclared. We have had cargo containers catch on fire due to hidden hazmat. Luckily they have all been on the ground, but it has happened. We also had a few flights turn back due to gas fumes leaking from undeclared hazmat. Nothing will ruin your hunt faster than having the flight return to Anchorage and you having to explain why you did not declare the hazmat in your shipment.

Ammo, camp fuel, matches, bear spray, flares, and the like are all hazmat as far as airlines go and have to be declared.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Default New

I don't know what hazmat fees are but (as an alternative) you might look into buying a new stove to take. It won't have any fuel residue.

As to fuel, we usually buy it at our destination. Pricey?? Yes but cheaper than a new hunt.

Default Ammo??

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    Checked baggage I doubt it. No matter how well you clean them, there will always be residue in the bottles. If you try and smuggle them through, TSA will probably catch them and you will land in Adak with no camp stove and a little note from the TSA in your bag. They have a habit of not telling you if they confiscate stuff from your luggage.

You will probably have to ship them cargo as hazmat. It will cost you some $$ for the hazmat fees and such, but the fines for trying to smuggle them undeclared are much higher. Ship them in advance to ensure they get there in time. If you try and ship as cargo the day of the flight it will not make it and you will be stuck in Adak for three days with no camp stove or fuel.

I used to work cargo for Alaska Airlines for over 12 years and have seen many times what happens when guys try and smuggle camp fuel and ammo undeclared. We have had cargo containers catch on fire due to hidden hazmat. Luckily they have all been on the ground, but it has happened. We also had a few flights turn back due to gas fumes leaking from undeclared hazmat. Nothing will ruin your hunt faster than having the flight return to Anchorage and you having to explain why you did not declare the hazmat in your shipment.

Ammo, camp fuel, matches, bear spray, flares, and the like are all hazmat as far as airlines go and have to be declared.
    You can carry ammo in your checked bags. The only thing you have to declare is your gun.
    You cant carry fuel.
    I am still am not sure about the stove. The last one I flew with had not been used.

So it sounds like it is legal, but there are sometimes issues with people not getting all the residue out. I've flown more times than I can count with a stove, but I've always been pretty thourough about cleaning it and never had an issue with it being confiscated.

Is there any reason that I would have more of an issue with Alaska Airlines than others such as NorthWest? By the way, I'm just talking about a stove and not fuel. I'm wondering because I've heard a lot of stories about confiscated stoves on Alaska, but not many in other areas.

Bilder is right. Used to work for an air cargo co. in ANC for 14 years. It is not even worth trying to slip it by. On a passenger a/c you can't ship your stove & fuel bottles "unless" they are new & never had fuel in them.

If you choose to ship your current items it will have to be through an air cargo co. You still will have to make sure they are dry, empty, & pay a HAZ-MAT fee to ship them. You can also ship your fuel, but it has to be in a spec container. Rules change every year so you are better off contacting the air cargo co. & seeing what they have to say. The thing w/ the HAZ-MAT fee is it cost the same to ship 1 or 500 pieces. So ship your ammo, fuel, stove, lanterns, propane, & etc. If you are not sure if it is HAZ-MAT ask them.

You will be better off trying Everts Air Cargo or Northern Air Cargo. They are a "CARGO ARICRAFT" carrier only & willl have even less restrictions as AK Airlines. Good luck.

Default Fuel Bottles

Based on my own experience on a recent trip from Shishmaref, you can take fuel bottles (the MSR multi fuel type) in your checked luggage as long as they are clean. I had TSA in Nome pull my bottle out and had me wash it out before he placed it back in the luggage becasue it had an "odor" to it. It is hard to get the fuel smell out of the bottle once you have used it. You can probably do it if you use the right kind of dish soap. I had only used water and it did still smell of fuel.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
    You can carry ammo in your checked bags. The only thing you have to declare is your gun.
    You cant carry fuel.
    I am still am not sure about the stove. The last one I flew with had not been used.
    Yes, ammo can go in checked luggage.

It is one of those wierd regulations. You can take ammo and most aerosol cans in your checked bag with no problem, but once you try and ship it cargo, it is considered hazmat.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Yes, ammo can go in checked luggage.

It is one of those wierd regulations. You can take ammo and most aerosol cans in your checked bag with no problem, but once you try and ship it cargo, it is considered hazmat.

He's right, the wife and I take ammo on our checked bags anytime we fly Outside and back(NW and AKAir). Max of 11.5 pounds tho and they have to be in an original ammo carton/reloading ammo box.

Be sure to declare it!!!!!

Air that sucker out a few weeks ahead of time and make sure your stove is open on both ends so it can't trap any smelly vapor. Do not worry about hazmat shipping...I have traveled ten or more times with an msr bottle that had been completely dried and aired out....and never had a problem. If you plan ahead, you will be fine.

Default Thermocell

Has anyone traveled with their Thermocell? It contains the small butane cartridges. I want to take mine on my caribou hunt this year but am wondering how to get it there. I'll be flying from Fairbanks to Bettles.

Default Burn it out

I've traveled enough around her via AK airlines and what we do is take our bottles, empty um, let them air, and then tip them down and light a lighter. Burns out that residual stuff. Air for a bit and good. We do this, and have never had a problem. Same w/stove. Just light near tubes that carry gas, and then let air.

If they smell it, they will confiscate it!

Default Stoves, fuel, and Ammo

I have traveled to many locations in this great state and only had a problem one time. ERA refused to let a friend have his stove in his checked luggage since it smelled like fuel.

I run my stoves until they are out of fuel and then I let them and the extra fuel bottles air out for a few days before the trip. For white gas you just buy it when you get to Kodiak or Bethel ...etc. For propane or the solid fuel stoves you will need to buy it when you arrive or ship it hazmat. Talk to your airtaxi as they often have extra fuel left from previous hunters. I know Seahawk air in Kodiak is glad to give away extra fuel.

Ammo usually goes in the gun case with the gun but check every airline you will be flying with. As long as the primers are covered and they are in a container made for ammo you are probably ok with the ammo in checked baggage.

Sounds good, thanks for the help, I've never had a problem with the stove before, but I've heard a few stories about Alaska airlines so I thought I'd check. I usually wash the bottle with hot soapy water then store with the cap off till I'm ready to leave.

FWIW, I'm 6'5" weigh 250# and I love Alaska Airlines, I always have enough leg room and a good flight with them, I've brought my guns my dog, it doesn't matter they've always done me right! I don't even want to get started on the awful flight I had with one of their competitors.
    Steve

you can check three bags for free on inter-alaska flights on AK Air. if they weigh more than 50#, it's $25. if they weigh more than 75, I think it's $50. They can't weigh more than 100#. seems like you got plenty of answers on the fuel. good luck!

First of all TSA NEVER confiscates ANYTHING!! The airlines are the one to take it out of you bag and not let you take HAZ-MAT and not let you know.

Second you can take your stove and fuel bottles if you empty and no smell/vapors present. If you rinse your stove and bottles with some deisel and let air dry and wash/ rinse with soap and water that will work. Never travel with lids on as it keeps vapors locked in and when smelled they are strong. The problem is there are some coils inside stove that are impossible to truely empty. I also put some vix vapor rub or other smell on the threads after washing out to make sure no fuel smell can be detected.

Buy fuel in ADAK.

3 checked bags for in state travel in alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by WIsam View Post

Is there any reason that I would have more of an issue with Alaska Airlines than others such as NorthWest? By the way, I'm just talking about a stove and not fuel. I'm wondering because I've heard a lot of stories about confiscated stoves on Alaska, but not many in other areas.
    You have nothing to worry about. Take a clean stove with clean and empty fuel bottles. Rinse with WATER and let air dry. Leave the caps off and put them in a zip lock bag, rubber band that bag to the neck of the bottle. Buy fuel when you get to the destination. White gas is best bet. Alaska Air is great. My favorite airline in fact. We drive from NC to Wash, DC to fly Alaska Air to/from Alaska. I have been treated well time after time by Alaska Air. But TSA will confiscate items. Lost several items from their searches. Firestarter mostly. I like the "Wet Fire" blocks, but TSA does not. Over 50 lbs, you will get an overweight charge unless in state weight limit is different than out of state. I am not certain but check on that before taking two 70 lb bags. Careful packing and allocation of gear at home should prevent this.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast