Thread: Russian River parking 12 hours - overnight?

Default Russian River parking 12 hours - overnight?

Planning a Sat eve through Monday morning trip to the russian river in late June, but the campground only had Sunday night available. If I arrive Saturday evening around 6pm and pay $11 for day parking, do they allow me to park my car for 12 hours until Sunday at 6 am or do I have to leave before midnight? (I'd like to fish a few hours, sleep a few in the van and fish the early morning.)

Otherwise, what's the cost of parking in the overflow lot and do they allow overnight parking there?

Thanks!

12 hour parking is 12 hours, regardless of the time of day. You can fish from 6pm to 6am, however you may not keep two limits of fish unless you first take Saturday's fish somewhere to be frozen. You're allowed 3 fish/day, but you may only have 3 in possession. They're considered to be in possession until they're eaten, frozen, canned, smoked, etc. Fillets in the cooler are still in possession. There are local establishments in Cooper Landing that will freeze your fish if you're interested in keeping more than one daily limit.

Default Bad info

All year last year I would catch my limit on Friday put them in the truck then catch my Saturday limit with out freezing them. I asked a fish and game officer down there to make confirm and he told me that was ok. I hope I was legal. Thanks for the info I know a lot of people who do the same thing all the time and thought they were legal.

Default Nope

Not legal - the regs are clear.

What is the name of the places that freeze fish and how much do they charge? We will fillet them and have them vac packed already.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post

What is the name of the places that freeze fish and how much do they charge? We will fillet them and have them vac packed already.
    http://www.kenaicache.com/customfishservices.html

They are a 2 minute drive from the highway entrance to the Russian...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I show up there at 1 or 2 am and take a nap than fish till one or two all the time
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Overflow lot - cost and time limit?

How about the overflow parking? Is it the same $11 cost and is there a time limit?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I show up there at 1 or 2 am and take a nap than fish till one or two all the time
    Short nap, I'd say!

I try to get up at 4, the difference between 3 hours and none makes the drive home not suicidal

Quote Originally Posted by FishingFever View Post
    How about the overflow parking? Is it the same $11 cost and is there a time limit?
    When I biked the cooper lake to russian trail we left the rig in the overflow parking for about 30 hours not sure we paid for it either. There is a lot just across the bridge for the res pass trail (I think) that's a good place to park if you have a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post

Never fished the Kenai, but a trick to freeze your fish in the field is to get a big CO2 tank or extingusher and blast your fillets w/ it. It will freeze them quickly. Wear gloves though....the tank will get cold enough to give ya frostbite!
    Nice Marmot.

I contacted the folks at the link provided. $.89 cents a pound to freeze for a week. It's a flat rate - you get a week of storage regardless of how long you leave the catch in their freezer. I guess if a guy was fishing for the entire week, it may be worth it but that can get expensive fast if you have a family of 5 fishing for a week.

Haven't checked the cost of liquid oxygen but that stuff will go to an instant preservation. Better than Co2.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired2017 View Post
    Haven't checked the cost of liquid oxygen but that stuff will go to an instant preservation. Better than Co2.
    Make sure you vac-pac 'em first if you use liquid O2...unless you want instant freezerburn!
    Nice Marmot.