Thread: Drop camp footwear?

Default Drop camp footwear?

Well I've done a couple of float hunts and decisions on footwear wasn't too difficult but this fall I'll be doing a moose hunt from a drop camp on a lake and will have some sort of boat. Having a little trouble deciding what to take. What combination have worked for you in the past? Any additional insight would be appreciated.

After a lot of trial and error, I will never do another moose hunt without roll-down, gore-tex, stocking foot waders. I wear a pair of drainable hiking boots over them.

Sims are good but expensive. I have used a pair of Cabela's on my last three moose hunts, and they have still never leaked. Orvis waders are garbage.

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon.com

At least a good pair of hip boots with lug soles, a pair of hiking boots and something to wear around the camp in the evening to let your feet relax and boots to dry out.

My personal experience only, Good luck!

LaCrosse Big Chief waders or knee high X-Tra Tuffs should work well for your drop hunt.

LaCrosse Big Chief With Air-Bob soles or the Burley with Air-Bob soles.

Thumbs up La Crosse Ankle Fit Hippers

Can't go wrong with them, that's why there seems to be so many of us that wear them. Sometimes I wish they would make the big chiefs with about 800 grams of insulation instead of 600 With that said, a small felt insole has helped keep my feet a little warmer, along with the thorlos mountaineering socks (heavy wool blend).

Thumbs up Boots and Crocs

I use LaCross rubber boots, I've also used hip boots. My only issue with the hip boots is I can't get a pair that fits my fat legs very good!

I always have pair of Rics or Crocs for around camp.