Thread: Fnaws MIA

Default Fnaws MIA

What ever happened to the Alaska chapter, joined up, paid my dues, spent some money at the kenai banquet and have never got a card, a flier, a newsletter, website is a dud.

Sounds like the management practices of the old FNAWS board have carried over to the new "reform" board. FNAWS in Alaska has been a pretty disfunctional and ineffective group for quite some time now. Prior to the new "leadership" I had been an annual member for many years and was considering throwing in the $500 for life membership. That was right before the misuse of funds was exposed.

Lightbulb Misuse?

I do believe they had tax issues in the late 90's, possible up towards 2005, but I had not heard of any other misuse of funds. Does misuse mean "inappropriate use or expendatures" ? Did sombody steal money?

I enjoyed AK FNAWS, back when it was essentially an Anchorage organization. Quarterly meetings were fun. Board of Director meetings "in person" were fun. Fun 20 years ago.

But the "new direction", making it more of an Alaskan organization never caught on. At least not with me. I'm not a teleconference-type-guy. New Pres Wayne H tried a new approach and I do believe he put tremoundous energy into it. But I do not believe it has worked well in Alaska. Running that organization takes a strong leader, and it quickly become like a full time job. Volunteer work is seldom appreciated, especially if it is done incorrectly.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    I do believe they had tax issues in the late 90's, possible up towards 2005, but I had not heard of any other misuse of funds. Does misuse mean "inappropriate use or expendatures" ? Did sombody steal money?
    Something about poor accounting for monies taken in from the auction of Governor's sheep permits and perhaps the former president contracting a family member to provide services for FNAWS. Details are sketchy, but it didn't sound right. There was some discussion on here about it a few years ago.