Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ahtna Predator permit

Default Ahtna Predator permit

Just wondering if anyone was aware of the new cost of the Predator permit for Ahtna land. According to their website it is now $2500 (yes you read that right!!!). Now more power to them if they can actually get some lame brain to pay this when for that you can get a flight out to way better areas. Obviously they aren't to serious about reducing predator numbers anymore and they figure jacking the cost's to sky high prices is their way of doing this with still theoretically allowing people to hunt their land. If anyone knows why this cost inflation occured please fill me in. I know last year it was free as they were actually serious about predator management. Oh well if thats what they want to do that's there perogitive.

http://ahtna.lands.googlepages.com/permits

polarisblake

Probably putting my foot in my mouth for saying this in public, but it might have something to do with the fact that they lost their primary labor contract on the Pipeline a couple months ago. Maybe they figure this is how they're going to make up for the lost revenue?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Huh. That's really surprising to me. I recall that it was free last year as well, and I had considered contacting them before my spring bear trip(s) up on the Denali Highway. I don't generally hunt right near Ahtna lands, but I saw a bear on Ahtna lands from the road years ago and wanted to have the permit just in case. I guess I'll be going without. It's a pretty surprising move, as they are obviously beneficiaries of controlled bear numbers. Strange.

Seems to me someone might need a little education in supply & demand. There are PLENTY of places to hunt bears & wolves else where in the state, not on AHTNA land. I think they'd have a better shot at charging 1% of that price ($25) and get 100 people to sign up to hunt then getting one person to hunt that area. I have to agree polarisblake, I'd save my pennies for a float out sheep/caribou hunt in the brooks where you might be able to shoot a bear LONG before I'd shoot pay $2500 to shoot a bear on AHTNA land. I can see where people would pay the $1500 for the Bison hunt if one was to draw as its a once in a lifetime deal and they have a sweet corner of the market in the regard. Perhaps some should notify them that grizz either are $25 or free to hunt anywhere else in the state. They don't exactly have the same sweet corner of the market on this one.

Yeah I wondered that for a second too Joat, but I don't think they are seriously planning on making money on this deal. I guess this is a way to shut off hunters from hunting on their land completely while still legally being able to say "they allow predator hunting".

Speaking of Ahtna Lands, there are several easements for crossing their land which I don't seem to easily navigate too. Does anyone know where a person might find listed easements to access public lands through Ahtna Lands?

Alaska Lanche,

Thanks that was what I was looking for, I often wonder about Rivers and water access? I see there are several rivers which are not marked Easements, would one be correct in assuming that you can not use them if you stay below the high water mark. I thought you could if you stayed below the high water mark but perhaps not?

I think Athna is shooting itself in the foot, possibly, if pred control ceases in unit 13, they might find moose & populations dwindling again without individual bear hunters.

Default Fire-fight...

At the risk of starting a forum fire-fight....(Got to gear-up with body armor now...as I attempt to take our forum members to school.)

The guide-outfitters, the commercial services industry, will pay it to operate on remote, undisturbed areas. Nonresident client-hunters pay for hunts. Guide-outfitters pay for the priviledge to conduct hunts on native organization owner land.

The trespass fees have been very low for the last 20 years. The fees were so low that contracting guide-outfitters would instruct their guide crew to keep quiet about trespass fees...as in keep 'em dumb and happy. But as a result of how the guide-outfitter community has been explosively divided because of the upcoming DNR Guide Concession Area plan (PropectusGate), which is spearheared by the big-headed APHA (big fish wanting to eat little fish), many guides have contacted the native ogranizations asking about leases and trespass permits.....and prices are skyrocketing for everyone throughout Alaska as the native landowners have now been educated as to the true value of their land.

(incoming....get-down!.)

Don't shoot the messinger....

Dennis
    AK TAGS

I hear where you are coming from Dennis. However MOST of AHTNA's land isn't exactly known for large bear. Meaning few people looking to have a guided grizz hunt are going to want to pay an additional $2500 to hunt on the average smaller grizz when they could hunt other areas just as big or bigger bears and still hire a guide and not have to pay the additional $2500. Espeically considering the current economy, I seriously doubt they are expecting many people actually pay to shoot a bear for $2500. And to me what is even more absurd who is going to purchase $2500 on the off chance you see a wolf?? Not even guides participate in targeting specifically wolves.

Default I'm kinda amazed

There is no way Ahtna could be charging this much for a predator control permit. The last two years they have given out predator control permits to non-share holders for free. I see the price on their website but can't believe it for some reason. I know they recognize that bear populations are way up around Glennallen as we've seen more bears and had more encounters then we've had in years. (much like the rest of the state) If they were to raise any price that the have the "corner market" on it would be the Cooper River Bison permit where they own almost all the land the bison travel. You really don't have a choice but to pay them if you draw the permit. But to raise the price of predator control... there has to be a mistake.

If it truly is a $2500 permit, my advice would be to stay away from hunting on Ahtna lands under the high water mark umbrella. Even though it's the 100 year high water level that is considered state land, Ahtna is more then happy to go to court over it. I know someone who has been to court twice over where he harvested game. It was clearly in the banks of a river, but Ahtna still took him to court. The case was dropped but he still went through the hassle of dealing with it.

Good thinkin', AHTNA. Maybe this might be another reason this coporation is bottom of the barrel compared to its peers....

Default Not sure on

Ahtna is at the bottom of the barrel compared to other corporations. I guess all us non-shareholders can be pissed about this but bottom line, this is their land and they can do with it what they like. I was surprised at this, but surely not going to lose sleep over it and not going to bad mouth them over this.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Speaking of Ahtna Lands, there are several easements for crossing their land which I don't seem to easily navigate too. Does anyone know where a person might find listed easements to access public lands through Ahtna Lands?
    State DNR website has maps showing all 17b easements in Alaska.

Default Guess I won't be helping predator control this year!!!

Well I guess I am glad that my buddies and I took two bears out of there last year (Maybe we met their quota). I wasn't planning on going there this year but do like the option if I had some time. Lanche, you are right that there are no big bears or very very few in the area. I will tell you from my personal experience though that there are several predators still in the area (in three days we saw 2 wolves and probably 12 bears).

Has anyone actually contacted Ahtna about the price. There is an outside chance that they made a typo and the real price is 25.00

Default tpyos

Gude piont - thres losta tpyos in the inner net.

Default I don't think

it is a typo. They are charging.

Default Contacted AHTNA

Ok, well was trying to get a hold of them for a while and finally did. So it's actually $1000 for commercial and personal hunting permit. However if you obtain a "Predator Control Permit" from the state then it is free to get the permit. The lady told me that she was unaware of the $2500 fee on their website but that it was probably put there because that was what some of the Board members wanted to charge. I inquired about the reasoning behind charging a fee and was told that it was due to the fact that and I quote, "people were starting to make a lot of money off our predators". So I guess I just need to figure out how to make a "lot of money" off my bear I shot last year!!!

polarisblake

Polarisblake,

The only person making lots of money off of the AHTNA predators that I know of is Tundra Taxidermy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast