Thread: two conoes bound together with a frame

Default two conoes bound together with a frame

does anyone have any pictures of two conoes tied in with a frame. how well does this work been looking around for a good raft. Heard some one mention that two conoes conected is a really nice set up. when you are in upper reaches of a tributary you can seperate the conoes for easy travel when river gets more water can combine both conoes for a nice raft. been kicking the idea around anyone have any experience whith this setup. Would like to see some pics thanx.

Lightbulb

Slayer,
    The catacanoe is a fairly common, reoccurring topic. Works great, lasts a long time.

As always (when it comes to floating stuff), talk to Tracy at AK Raft & Kayak in Anchorage, because he pioneered the concept.
    Mike S. on the forum here also is knowledgable of the cataraft-made-from-canoes deal.

And I really dislike saying this to you......but within the archives there is/are several great threads on this deal in the last three years.

OK, Ill add a question that Tracy or Mike should know the answere to......What works best with a 9.9 motor...an 18' AIRE Leopard or an AIRE Traveler-Catacanoe?

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default Cata-canoe

Fish Slayer,

I agree with Dennis, Tracey Harmon and Mike Strahan have answered a couple hundred of my questions about the cata-canoe configuration. They both have a wealth of knowledge and are very willing to share with others. I purchased a pair of Aire Travelers earlier this year that I'll be using in the fall as a cata-canoe based on the exact reason you mentioned. Some of the other benefits included dual-purpose use for family outings, portability from a size and weight stance (54.3 lbs each) and extreme carrying capacity. They're definately not cheap but the shallow water capability and flexibility, in my opinion has some advantages over round boats and catarafts in shallow narrow waterways. Of course, this is based on the information of reliable sources and a lot of research. Tracey has a lot of pics of this configuration in use. Something you should be aware of is that this is also one of the most expensive rafting configuration you can buy as well, but that's just like me to always pick those. Good luck and if I can be of any help feel free to reach out.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by fish slayer View Post
    does anyone have any pictures of two conoes tied in with a frame. how well does this work been looking around for a good raft. Heard some one mention that two conoes conected is a really nice set up. when you are in upper reaches of a tributary you can seperate the conoes for easy travel when river gets more water can combine both conoes for a nice raft. been kicking the idea around anyone have any experience whith this setup. Would like to see some pics thanx.

Default Cata-Canoe

I have a photo of one in the TIPS SECTION of my other website. Check it out.

The Cata-Canoe came about years ago. It was the original conception of myself and a guy named Paul Jobe, the former owner of Wild Alaska Rivers Company. We were looking for a low-profile boat with large capacity and a pair of AIRE Travelers rigged as a cataraft seemed the ideal way to accomplish it.

But we never got around to actually testing the idea. The credit for that goes to a man named Kim Tatman, as far as I understand the history. Kim is a friend of Tracey Harmon and myself. Since then, Tracey has built several frames for Traveler Cata-Canoes and you'll do well to speak with him about how to rig them and so forth.

Any canoes will work, as will a pair of inflatable kayaks, for that matter. It's fairly important that whatever boats you use are close to the same length and tube diameter though.

I agree that this is an expensive way to wind up with a cataraft, however the Cata-Canoe is two canoes, PLUS a cataraft when you want it to be. It's still cheaper than purchasing the canoes and then getting a cat later....

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I don't claim to have invented anything, but several years ago we were camping below the canyon on the Gulkana. Several canoes & people floated by (some may have heard the story of the Boy Scouts from Ohio).

To make a long story short, this group had portaged the canyon, but was hopelessly over matched by the remaining section of river. We ended up hacking down some alders and lashing together a cata-canoe with a pair of mismatched hardshell canoes.

WOW !!! Difference was night & day. DRAMATICALLY improved the stability, allowed dedicated paddlers/bailers between the 4 man crew, and allowed entire boats to alternate between bailing & paddling.

Not sure that I would reccomend the alternative in all situations, but definately added the idea to my bag of tricks should I need it again in the future.

Default cata-whatevers

Saw similar in early 90's in sierras, Hobie cat once made a hardshell sit-on-top tandem hull configure craft, not comfortable for all day paddling but was pretty bad-a@% on big whitewater.
    Sure they did not discovery this idea either. Some crazy Russians probably started paddling tandem tractor intertubes in the 50's or something.

Ive used 2" PVC cut to length and them use large Hose clamps like that used for Cast-Iron pipe to secure to canoe cross-members. Makes for strong and flexible connection that is inexpensive, easy to setup-break down, adds huge stability for standing/fishing or paddling like mad.

We did this for a float on the upper yukon. The only problem we had was waves were amplified between the 2 boats, so when we got into a little bit of waves bailing was required to prevent swamping.

Default canoes

Just a couple of thoughts- If they are not self-bailing or decked - sounds like trouble to me!! Unless your on a lake with no wind!!
    In the mid 80's i did some paddling in central siberia where the soviets took 2 home made cat tubes and tied small trees together to make a frame and 4 of us with paddles on each corner. worked great in class IV water-- but 2 canoes full of water sounds a bit SPOOKY!!
    good luck

Default Two Canoes

Well one year we thought a trip up Placer would be fun. Had a 3hp in the back and u-bolted these together. Loaded up even took a bail of hay to pitch the tent on, steaks, beer, chairs & two coolers. Was very stable.
    Saw bear and a wolf but the going up there in early spring that year was F#%*ed
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 09-23-2009 at 17:09.

Default Catacanoe

Not to bust anyone's bubble; but my family has used this idea for years in the '70's down in the lower 48. We started doing it on float trips in Missouri and called them war canoes because its immpossible to tip them over(nearly). Very stable and with an outbord; WOW! It's a great idea for the reasons mentioned and is pretty safe and not too bad to maneuver. Really good idea when the river narrows; take then apart and go like h...
    Good Luck and be safe

In 1991, I saw one of these. Two grumman freightors built together with a frame, and a mast up the center with a blue tarp as a sail. It was anchored up in the Kasilof river at the upper boat launch. I would liked to have seen it in action.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

did this a few years ago for the red green regatta here in FBKS. on the Chena.

2 16-17 footers.

10 foot wide deck/ ply wood

used 2x12 frames with jail house stainless steel toilets mounted for seats with our feet over the water.

carried 3 wifes and 9 kids on the deck with 4 rowers on each side.

and one floater dragging the rear. ( guy in float tube)

we all worked for plumbing Co...

total weight was several hundred lbs...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here