Thread: April Fishing

Default April Fishing

Well, the Sportsman Show has came and went, what to do now?

Like everyone else, I've had the bug since last fall and looking at all the open water is starting to really get to me. Long story short, I moved to Eagle River from Michigan last summer and am wondering if there are any streams, rivers, or creeks I could hit for some bows or dollies. I can do my best with the regs, but wow... that is some piece of literature.

I understand the Kenai is open but was hoping to find something within an hour or so of Anchorage. Does anyone have any opinions on Campbell Creek? I hear they're not stocking it anymore, but maybe there's still fish? What about the Valley?

Sure, maybe it's early... But I don't need the fishing to be great, just fishing. Seriously, I spent the last hour casting into the snow on Lower Fire Lake.

YES I have a powerful hunger for some fishing. in kodiak we have had about 30 inches or so of snow in the past month so I feel that nature is laughing at me, at all of us. I am getting some serious cabin fever here and end up drinking too much beer and usually end up tying some weird flies that only a mother could love.

Pickings are pretty slim untill may when the lakes are ice free... You might try fishing Eagle River its self the dollies should start migrating soonish. There might be some fish in ship creek as well.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Campbell is in my back yard and is still frozen over. I haven't heard the plans to stop stocking it, if they do I imagine it would be because the native fish population is capable of sustaining itself. They sell a lot of licenses to people that fish that stream.

Kenai is open in cooper landing. It's a couple hours but would probably best fulfill your urge to get your line wet. Sadly that's about all it will accomplish, as most folks I've talked to have been getting skunked. Closer to the end of this month, right before it closes, fishing should be good to great based on the water levels.

Welcome to Alaska! You're getting a crash course on what REAL cabin fever is like. They joke about it in the lower 48, up here with the long winter it's really almost enough to make you go crazy. haha!

Cambell Creek is not getting stocked untill they A.) get the new hatchery on line, B.) there has been Whirrling disease found at the hatchery and they can not stock open systems with the fish untill that is cleard up. That said, there are some open leads forming and productive rainbow fishing in the creek. It is closed to retention since it is not being stocked. Also chester creek is closed to retention by EO. Chester is mostly flowing, but right now it looks like chocolate milk. Once the water clears up a bit you might catch some dollies and rainbows there too.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

I seen some people fishing here in wasilla in the creek that flows out of wasilla lake where it crosses seward meridian. ive seen fish there early

Well I did my weekly recon today and campbell is starting to open up. If you're looking to wet a line, there is room. Still plenty of ice though, so I wouldn't come down expecting to catch anything. Water is low and clear, my casting arm started twitching while I was down there!

Are there no tailwaters around? I guess from my reading I sure don't remember any.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnPhil View Post
    Are there no tailwaters around?
    like from behind a dam?
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    like from behind a dam?
    Yes, usually those stay pretty ice free, especially if the outlet water is coming off the bottom of the lake. But I guess it depends on the releases, elevation, etc.

Are there no tailwaters around? I guess from my reading I sure don't remember any.
    Yes there are but the dams all suck at releasing right/the dams are at the bottom of the creek

tailwaters in the anchorage area:
    Cambell Creek (below cambell lake)
    Ship Creek (has like 4 dams)
    Eklutna River
    Chester Creek (below WC lagoon)
    Fire Creek (Below Lower Fire Lake)
    Eklutna Tailrace
    and a little farther south, cooper creek

If the Devils Canyon dam ever gets built it has the potential to be an awesome tailwater, which would be the silver lining in a project like that.

Then there are the beaver dams....

You are correct by definition there are no tailwaters. Dams yes, but none that meet the criteria defining them as tailwaters such as the Missouri, Bighorn, Lees Ferry. It is perhaps just a matter of days or as much as two weeks and the fishing will improve and quickly escalate to your demise. And when I use the word demise, I mean good luck in getting any honey dues done. For the time being, enjoy in the pursuit and be careful for what you wish for, the fish will arrive they always do.

Default Eagle River

Well, I still haven't thown out a line, but I have tied a couple boxes of flies over the last week.

My wife and I walked down to Eagle River under the Glenn and I'm pretty sure we saw some fish-related swells. There is a bit of a pool under the nortern side of the north-bound bridge and it looked like something was up to something. The water was pretty murky, so I don't know what it might have been. I'm thinking might wander down with a rod sometime this week.

My understanding is that trout/dolly fishing is allowed on that part of the river?

yup

trout and dollie fishing is allowed, there are sea run dollies which should be moving and eating smolt around now, lots of humpy fry in that river.

In that case, what would be the preferred fly? I'm thinking:

http://www.akflyfishers.com/fom_martin_river_smolt.html

its worth a shot, I always used salmon eggs as a kid, I've only ever caught them on flies in the fall behind chums. I'd try a flesh fly as well