Thread: Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers

Default Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers

I have always and forever used CCI pistol primers however there are none to be found in these parts. The only thing available was the Remington 1 1/2 stuff so I bought 5 boxes of 100. I don't know if you ever tried reading the writing on the side of one of those tiny little boxes but my eyes won't do it. What it says in lettering so small the only a dog pecker gnat could read is....warning do not use in high intensity cartridges like the 357, 357 Sig and the 40 S&W. Nice... I had already seated all 500 of them in 357 brass to shoot in one of my carry guns.

My question is.....I am only planning on loading 125gr jhp's on top of 5.5 grains of Red Dot. Do I need to worry about piercing primers or "Blowing up my gun or injurying the shooter or bystanders" as the warning indicates may happen??

I tried to call Remingtons hotline but they must have sold to many lemons this month as I was on the phone for a half hour and never got past press one for english!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have always and forever used CCI pistol primers however there are none to be found in these parts. The only thing available was the Remington 1 1/2 stuff so I bought 5 boxes of 100. I don't know if you ever tried reading the writing on the side of one of those tiny little boxes but my eyes won't do it. What it says in lettering so small the only a dog pecker gnat could read is....warning do not use in high intensity cartridges like the 357, 357 Sig and the 40 S&W. Nice... I had already seated all 500 of them in 357 brass to shoot in one of my carry guns.

My question is.....I am only planning on loading 125gr jhp's on top of 5.5 grains of Red Dot. Do I need to worry about piercing primers or "Blowing up my gun or injurying the shooter or bystanders" as the warning indicates may happen??

I tried to call Remingtons hotline but they must have sold to many lemons this month as I was on the phone for a half hour and never got past press one for english!

Remington 1 1/2 primers are probably the lightest primers available in terms of heat produced. I'm thinking the warning has more to do with large capacity cases and heavy doses of slower powders not properly igniting and causing problems than worries about the primer cup being weak and blowing up.

Default I would be more concerned

I would be more concerned with poor ignition and possible squib loads ! I dont know for sure and havent used any Rem primers except some 6 1/2 small rifle ! I prefer winchester ! Please let us know what Remington says !! Kevin
    Little bullets might expand ! But big bullets never shrink !
    When you swim with big fish try not to act like bait !

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    That cracks me up, EKC

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.