Thread: Grumman ?'s

Default Grumman ?'s

I recently (last fall) got a Grumman canoe and have a few questions I hope you all can help me figure out. It is (if I measured correctly) 20ft. long and is a double ender.

It has had a couple of the braces that run across it removed, should they be replaced?

I had it out a couple times last fall and it seems to take on a little water. No holes that I could see and I suspect it might be some of the rivits as I think this is a pretty old canoe. What is the best (and least expensive) way to fix this? Does that glove it stuff work?

Is there a bracket available to mount a small outboard on this and what hp. would you recommend?

How do you tell what year it was made?

Sorry to ask all these questions at once but I could sure use your help. I'm new to canoes (since boy scouts anyway) and could use all the help I could get. Thanks in advance!

I too have a Grumman (17') and by no means an expert so look out! I would look into the removed parts and the water leak issue. Ours has two Thwarts, one that is right behind the front seat and the other is just forward of the rear seat. These are part of the canoes structure and should be there. Maybe this is part of the reason for the leaks?
    As for the motor mounts, yes there are motor mounts for canoes. I have one that I doubt I'll be using so if your interested let me know.. These clamp to the side of the canoe and can accept light weight motors.

Grumman made a side mount that worked great.
    Tim

Goose,

The length is measured in a straight line.....not over any curves.....

Yes, the thwarts should be replaced as they are an integral part of the canoe.

Most leaks can be stopped by bucking the rivets....place a heavy steel object against one rivet head and tap the other end of the rivet smartly with a hammer....you may have to do a lot of them and a buddy comes in handy here.

Thanks for the replies! I really appreiciate the help.

Vern:
    Where would I find replacement parts? Or is making them fairly simple? I haven't bucked rivits for quite awhile but think I could borrow a gun and get help. It will cost me a little in beer but sounds like a good idea.

Mit:
    Where would I find a grumman made mount? Sounds like it's worth looking into.

dgrant09:
    I think you may be on to something about the leaks and missing parts. Do you have a link or pictures of the side mount you have? I'd love to see them.

Goose,

You will have a difficult time finding any new thwarts....make some from conduit or light aluminum pipe etc....

Thumbs up parts ....

Go to the Marathon Boat Group/Grumman web site. They have had parts for the Grumman canoes on the E-store. I bought all new thwarts for my 19'er from them 2 years ago. Unbolt the old ones, and bolt in the new ones. Easy. Cost about $55 including shipping They are using the same patterns for their new production canoes as the old ones Grumman made. They fit.

Rick,
    Thanks for the heads-up. That sounds like a pretty good way to go, I'll check them out.

Vern,
    If I can't find any, I think your suggestion would work well. Thanks again.

Anyone know how to figure out the age of one of these Grummans?

Goose,
    Here are a couple of snaps of the mount.. The mount is in storage and it took a day to get out there..
    The mount was in need of repair when I received it last year. About the only part of the repair that I would have liked to of re-done (again) is the wood, other then that it turned out pretty good.. It will work fine as it is now.. I was a little sloppy on the cut..
    Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dgrant09; 04-18-2009 at 20:10. Reason: Spelling

Dan,
    Thanks for the pictures! What hp. could be used with that mount?

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticGoose View Post
    Dan,
    I am not sure on what size. I would imagine some of the local canoe stores or folks here could provide a pretty good idea.. I was planning on a smaller outboard or a trolling motor..

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticGoose View Post
    Dan,
    I have used a 4HP with that mount.
    Tim

Tim,
    Thanks, that's good to know. How did it work on your canoe?

I have used it in the Tanana from the chena pump landing to Salchaket and back it is a bit scary going up river. I don't think I would do it again. Works ok in the Chena I went up to the dam from nordale once.
    works fine on lakes. I used it with two kids in a 17ft grumman. Boy that was a long time ago those kids are 25 and 21 now
    Tim