I mentioned a while ago that I was planning on hunting Adak. Looks like I have a string of days off in May and was thinking of going to see if I can't do a quick meat hunt. A few more questiones come to mind.
1. First,is there any rental cars on the airport? I would be kind of surprised if there was, but being able to drive to the end of finger bay road and park would make the haul a bit shorter.
2. Do most people just hike strait from the airport to the field to hunt? If so, I suppose I could toss my gun case off to the side of the road out of sight once I got out of town and hope it's still there when I get back. Is there a better way than this? If any one has done this trip before, what did you do with the gun case when you got there?
3. How full is this flight typically? Since I work for an airline, I'll try to go standby as I can get there for free. If I get bumped off, it's not the end of the world as I can always go next month or get someone to cover for me till I get back.
4. Is there any cell phone coverage in town?
5. If I picked an area 8 miles south of the airport to hunt, how long would you think it would take to make the hike with a load of meat?