Thread: truck barking

Default truck barking

I have a 2 year old female chocolate. She really likes to ride in the truck but is becoming difficult to ride with (in the cab). She wines and barks - I have tried a multitude of things...sitting before entering and then making her sit and calm down before I get in. Shock collar useage. Barking collar (worked about the best). Using her kennel in the back of the truck...

This dog is spoiled spoiled - and I would like for her to ride in the cab (backseat) but she gets so excited she can't handle it -

Anything that anyone has tried to control this behavior? I think that it is just the way she is....she likes to "GO"!

Default only place?

Is it the only place she has a noise issue?

Default mostly

That is mostly when she gets barky/whiney. She had a big noise issue when we got her at 7 weeks old we kept her in the bathroom and she would wine all day long when we were working. It took some time, but she got over that after we spent some time with her...then she would bark when put in her pen - to the point that we used the barking collar and that fixed it - but she knows when she has it on - and it doesn't seem to bother her as much now that she is bigger and older.

Usually she is only noisy when she gets excited - like if you tell her "get the bird" - or get a gun out she gets very excited - after a couple minutes in the field though she is fine.

My blm used to be like this also. What finally flipped the switch for him was a long road trip. My husband was working out on the Denali hwy and i only took him and we took a trip. We drove all day exploring, spent the night out there, drove the highway from Cantwell to Paxson. By the time we got home it was nothing to spend some time in the truck. Even when we train hes chill until we actually get to the field and he knows what going on the whole time. Recognizes the gear and such.

Default need a bit more info

When she makes unwanted noise, anywhere, what is your response? Do you use corrections or are you passive about it? Do you correct every time, or do you let some noises slip?

In the truck what i did was ignore him all together, act very calm, like there was no reason to get excited/nervous. He always picked up on my excitement/tension levels. Training i correct because i'm trying to get to a standard and keep him there. At home i really don't have any noise issues with him.

Default inconsistent

In the truck we correct probably 98% of the time. I tried not correcting and it didn't seem to matter to her. The one thing that seemed to help initially was to sit her before enter (which I always do) then load her up with a calm 'load up'...then make her sit and then lie and pet her calmly and make her stay lied down....I should probably go back to that....but she gets so excited that she gets right back up.

Most of the time she thinks that we are going to the park or hunting or fishing - even if it is just a trip to work....that she gets right back into the whining and barking.

We are probably inconsistent - Cedar is a 2 person dog - my wife and I both give commands so I am sure that there are some inconsistencies - we try not to be inconsistent - but it does happen.

Overall she (dog, not wife) is very obedient and well behaved - more so than 90% of the dogs that we have hunted with and probably 99.9% more than most people's dogs...the wife OTOH - well - let's just say that if I am not obedient enough I wear the shock collar! LOL.

The vehicle itself is the "switch" you were talking about. In the past it has meant exciting things and done so with free will and no correction. Now you are trying to calm her down about it.

You start first outside of the vehicle. Bring her out of your home on leash up to the vehicle. Any excitedness you need to correct right away. Maybe even walk away if needed and then bring them back up again. The idea is to get the dog to a calm state of mind before entering the vehicle. Jumping in with an excited state of mind only feeds itself with all the stimulation of things passing by. Making the dog more excited or remaining excited. Correcting a dog at this heightened level is very difficult because the dog is so intertwined and focused on what is making it excited. It's like trying to take candy away from a child.
    Once inside the vehicle you will have to have someone else drive for you as a training buddy. Do this so you can correct the dog and leave the driving to your friend. Sit in the back seat or along side. Correct the dog for any increase in excitement. Make enough emphasis in your correction that the dog is focused on what you want and not what else is going on. A correction can be a tug with the leash or just a nudge with your hand on the neck. If no response, up your level of correction until you get a response. You want to break the concentration level and direct the dog back to a calm state.
    Consistency and patience is what dog training is all about.
    Good Luck

Default This worked for me

My dog used to whine a lot in the back of my truck as well. I just figured that there was something about the truck he didn't like, so I ended up turning the truck bed into his "front yard". Kennel went into the back of the truck and Evinrude just stayed in the back of the truck while I putzed around in the garage, worked on the house, etc, and that's where he slept at night. He got so used to being in the bed of the truck the wining and barking eventually stopped. Of course he sleeps in the house now but when we take him to the store or wherever, he's good about keeping quiet. Worked for me at any rate.
    Good luck

Default thanks

Thanks Wetland - I will give that a try. I was halfheartedly doing similiar to what you mention....by making her sit before she got to load up...

Default maybe we should try.....

Maybe a second dog in the cab(a little yellow one) would keep her busy on the way to the park.

I will try these tips too. My beagle is to the point with this problem that no one wants to ride with us out to the hunting spot. Getting into the truck is a big mess. Often my pointer comes along and he attacks her until I get them both in the truck. Not hard but growls and bites at her. Hes worked up from southside of anchorage to downtown, then calms down sporadicly untill about eklutna when I guess he can start to smell the flats wich is where we hunt alot.

Or if we pass that he calms down again, but as soon as you hit a dirt road its on again.

My problem with correction is that there seems to be no way to convince him that he is being corrected. Nothing hurts this dog. He will bark through a bark collar till the thing shuts off(built in safety feature). There is no tugging on his leash, twisting of an ear, Nothing gets through his head.

For your beagle try blocking him from his food bowl. Do so with out saying a word. Block with your legs and simply push him away. Some dogs you may need a leash to grab for more leverage. But don't give in. When your dog sighs or sits then you have established your dominance.

As far as the nipping the other dog and not accepting correction. Dogs will get so excited that they are fixated on it. Just wired. In an unstable mind set. For some dogs it may trigger an attack response. On other dogs or even the owner. Allowing a dog to get to this "Zone" and then trying to bring it out of it is very difficult. They idea is stop the behavior before it starts. Stop and correct it at the first signs of excitement instead of allowing it to escalate into the "Zone" state. Some dogs go from level 1 to level 5 really quick so reading your dog for trigger responses is all about timing of your correction. The dog food drill is a good way to establish your role as pack leader before trying to correct other dog related problems.