Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly reels with lifetime warranties

Default Fly reels with lifetime warranties

As the title states, I am hoping to get some responses in regards to 8wt. fly reels with lifetime warranties. I am especially interested in the fly reels that are $100-$200 such as a Redington, which there are likely few of.

Thanks,
    Chad

You can have one of the very best, a Ross Momentum, for $225. They are on sale at Cabelas (normally $445). Comes in gold, black, and blue.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=cat21430&rid=

Some reels I have and are very fond of are Ross Evolution and Lamson Velocity. The Lamson is on sale for $179 (from $256). Both are great reels that should provide years of good service. Check, but both have lifetime warranties I think.

http://www.waterworks-lamson.com/closeouts.html

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/2...y-Reel-V3.html

Generally speaking, I value the lifetime warranty on rods more than the reels. Not much to go wrong on a quality reel if you take proper care of it. Keep it clean and in a case and such when not in use. A lightly oiled rag here and there on the exterior surface. Occasional bath in the sink with some warm water. You get the jist. However, I will not buy a rod without a lifetime warranty. Murphy's Law and all

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default lifetime reels...

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    You can have one of the very best, a Ross Momentum, for $225. They are on sale at Cabelas (normally $445).

Some reels I have and are very fond of are Ross Evolution and Lamson Velocity. The Lamson is on sale for $179 (from $256).
    Both great choices! In fact, if I wasn't recently married, I'd go buy one - or at least the Momentum! For an extra 25 bucks more than your budget, you get a reel that should work forever. BEFORE I was married, I would amortize the budget overage for what I assumed to be the rest of my life, which (in this case) would work out to be less that a buck a year. Today, and in full disclosure, I'm not sure this strategy would hold a whole lot of water my better-half.

On a side note, I see that they have discontinued the Ross Canyon - which is a shame as far as I'm concerned. I'd add it to the "great reels" list...I wonder if you could buy one on Ebay for what your looking to pay?

Default Thanks for the responses. Others?

Thanks for the responses suggesting the Ross and Lamson fly reels. They are great reels, but a little out of my price range for now. I mentioned that I was looking for fly reels between $100 and $200, but I believe I can get the Redington for closer to $125. The Redington is silky smooth and has a lifetime warranty, which is why I am considering it, but I wanted to see if there are any other fly reels with lifetime guarantees that are comparable in price. Any other suggestions?

Chad

If you want a good 8 weight reel that won't break the bank, look on e-bay for the older Scientific Anglers system II 78 reels that were made in England. These are Hardy marqui reels that were made for SA. You can get used ones for $50-60 if your patient. No lifetime warranty, but they are very good reels for the $.

Default reels

pflugger trion

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered the Scientific Angler, but have been contemplating the Pflueger Trion (though no lifetime warranty).

I don't think there is a lifetime warrenty but I use Okuma reels and have been pleased with them. I have a magnitude and an SVL which both cost less than $100.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Elkhorn

Check out the Elkhorn T-series reels. The T-3 (7/8 wt.) is $189. These reels are smooth as can be and have a great warranty. I have a T-2 and love it.

http://www.elkhornflyrodandreel.com/home.cfm

Here's a direct link to the T-series.

http://www.elkhornflyrodandreel.com/reels/t_series.cfm

Sounds like you are pretty set on the reddington. I have not personally used their reels, but I'd imagine it would work good. I know that you can't go wrong with the american made ROSS though.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by chadakin View Post

have been contemplating the Pflueger Trion

They are decent reels for the money. A bit heavy for my taste, but made well from what I have seen. I have some on a 4wt. Later got some Orvis Battenkill for the 4 wt that I like much better. Like most things, you get what you pay for. But you could do much worse than the Trion for sure. I have some Redington reels too. Got them for my 8 wt but later got Ross Evolutions. Below I will rank the reels spoke of here in my opinion. They all get the job done of course. If money is an issue, I suggest considering less money in the reel and more in the rod.

Best to worst...(to me)

Ross Evolution
    Lamson Velocity
    Orvis Battenkill
    Plueger Trion
    Reddington
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

well, the orvis midarbor battenkill and the redington CD are almost identical in the spool and drag construction, so much so that the spools interchange - if memory serves. I too like the orvis better.

I have an orvis midarbor for a 5wt. Seems to have alot of drag and drag range (too much, as it almost freespools in the lightest setting).

I wouldn't be as concerned about warranty as with keeping these reels out of salt entirely, or at least giving them a good soak and/or rinse with freshwater after each and every day of use in salt or brackish water. The other option (fishing with corroded/fouled drag and reel parts) is not pleasant, and only resolvable by sending back to the manufacturer for repair, if even possible..

Picked up a Ross Rhythm 3 months ago for $155.00.Ross has a new model out so I got a good deal..It's the 3rd one I have ,,good reel...

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Man View Post
    Picked up a Ross Rhythm 3 months ago for $155.00.Ross has a new model out so I got a good deal..It's the 3rd one I have ,,good reel...
    The Ross rep at the Mt. View booth at the Sportsman's show talked me into buying the replacement for the Rhythm. It seems like a pretty good reel.

Default Look up Islander Reels

Well, for the money you should really consider Islander Reels. They are made to take the salt, to handle guiding, and come with a finish like no other. www.islander.com is the place to go to drool. They are made on Vancouver Island and are rediculously durable. Plus they are beautiful. Expensive? Yes. Worth every penny? Yes. They will outfish any offshore made stuff any day of the year, especially in those weight classes you are talking (7-9?). These sizes of reels you tend to use the drag to help land fish, and these reels stand up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarp man View Post

these reels stand up.

For $400+ I would hope so

Default My 2 cents

For over a decade I've used Lamson-- LP2 (5 wt Sage), LP3 (7 wt G Loomis) & LP4 (10 wt Sage). No problems and they have worked great! Right now, which I'm taking advantage of is you can trade in your Lamsons for the new Waterworks-Lamson for 50% off.

I'll be getting Litespeed Hard Alox and ULA Force 3X Lt. My brother has also fished these reels for over a decade and has been extremely happy. By the way, with my TU lifetime membership-I'm getting another Lamson 1.5 Guru reel with a 5 wt Winston.

Gotta cast--I see them rising!

Fly shop closeouts has the Lamson Velocity 3.5 reel(8-9wt.) for 202$...they even throw in free fly line and backing spooled on the reel for you. Sweet deal.
    http://www.flyshopcloseouts.com

Default why the warranty?

When buying a reel, you should ask why they have the warranty. Is it because it is very cheap, so replacement or repair cost is negligible, or is it because it is so well made that it will need very little maintenance or repair in its lifetime?

There are 3 US manufacturers I'd recommend that machine their reels from bar stock aluminum, have terrific, low maintenance drag systems, and have a series that falls into the $175-$250 price range. Galvan, Lamson-Waterworks, and Ross. There are others, like Billy Pate, Abel and Old Florida, but they all put you over $300.

The Redington CDL is a machined reel, which makes it nice. It is a reel that performs well, but I'm not completely sold on the needle bearing drag system. There are a ton of reels now being made overseas which use that drag, but I just see it reacting badly to glacial silt. I prefer to buy US made when possible, if the price is comparable.

So that brings you back to US made, machined reels. Skip dinner and a movie and you've made up the difference in price between the Redington and the Ross, and you'll have a lifetime reel with the latest drag technology. The CLA is the current introductory priced reel from Ross, and regular price is $230-$250 for the size you're looking for. No oil is necessary in the reel- in fact if you use grease or oil, it will destroy the drag. 2 days turnaround is guaranteed at the factory if you send it in for warranty or just general maintenance. Those are key factors in buying a reel for Alaska- I'd rather fish than strip down and regrease reels all the time.

Galvan and Lamson both have similar policies, just not written in stone as to turnaround time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast