Thread: Is a sat phone a good idea...

Default Is a sat phone a good idea...

Hey all On the 1st of May I will be driving up to Anchorage from MN just wondering if I should rent a sat phone for the trip? I believe I can rent one for about $75. Also, anyone that has driven the AlCan any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be driving up in a 2006 Chev 3/4 ton 4x4. Not really sure what to expect. I have bought the Milepost and that does a pretty good job with marking stops out. Thanks in advance Mike

Default driving

Hi, we drove up from Tx in June so not really sure of the conditions in early may. when we drove we used our cell phones and did just fine,had recepsion most of the time. Did lose it in some of the mountains as we drove thru them. The roads from Dawson City to the Alaska border under alot of construstion then and lots of gravel so expect a crack in your windshield..lol.. Exchange money at the border before you cross because when you pay while in Canada they dont give correct change ecevolent to U.S. money so you end up paying lots more. So what brings you to Alaska?

Default AlCan

I would say bring about a 10 gal gas or two can full, and dont leave a town without a full tank. You may see some bumpy road due to the Frost heave so if you pull a trailer it would be good to slow down a little.
    Canada is marked in KMH not MPH for speed. Dont forget your camera and good luck.
    Steve

Thanks for the info so far! Work is bringing me up there plan on being up there for at least a year...

The Trac phone even worked sometimes through the ALCAN in 2006. I think if you vehicle is running good I would not worry about a Sat Phone on the ALCAN.