Thread: Anyone in Yakutat

Default Anyone in Yakutat

I am going up to Yakutat next week. I would like to know if anyone is up there and how things are, if there are fish, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by BillBob View Post
    I am going up to Yakutat next week. I would like to know if anyone is up there and how things are, if there are fish, etc?
    I was just in YAK yesterday and had time to head down to nine-mile bridge during my lunch break....things looked real slow! I talked to a few fisherman leaving the river and they said it was pretty slow also!

Normally at this time of year, you should see a slew of steelhead just hanging out below the bridge, but yesterday we didn't even see one!

Snow-pack is still pretty deep and temps are quite cool for this time of year. However, things should be picking up in the next week or two...

Quote Originally Posted by NickofTime View Post
    I was just in YAK yesterday and had time to head down to nine-mile bridge during my lunch break....things looked real slow! I talked to a few fisherman leaving the river and they said it was pretty slow also!

Normally at this time of year, you should see a slew of steelhead just hanging out below the bridge, but yesterday we didn't even see one!

Snow-pack is still pretty deep and temps are quite cool for this time of year. However, things should be picking up in the next week or two...
    Thanks for the update...hopefully the fish will be there soon. 27 more days...it will never come soon enough.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I talked to a couple people that live up there. They are seeing more and more fish come in with each tide. The flow is still low, but improving every day. I am thinking my trip next week will work out well.

BillBob
    I'm going up at the end of next week, I think things are shaping up nicely for a good trip. Water temps are in the right range to keep fish moving into the river, tides are on the high side, and the moon is perefect!!!

Do I feel a Yak-attack coming on .

Thanks, I have been talking to people too. Where are you staying? I am scheduled to stay the first few days in the forest service cabin. Since flow levels are so low right now, fish haven't moved up beyond the bottom couple miles of the Situk. So as of right now there aren't fish at the cabins. We are hoping for rains today and tomorrow to bring the flow up and fish up the river. If no rains come we are considering staying in town and driving to the river. I am sure Bob at the fly shop is getting thoroughly annoyed at me right now with all my questions.

Bill

BillBob

We will be staying at the Mooring Lodge and yes the upper river looks pretty sparse. I'm sure you can find room at GBL or Lenards. The bottom end of the river will be best early this year. I have a bad foot so walking is out of the question and have booked Bob Fraker for the week and plan a couple of days on the ocean with Gary Klashkin (got to bring back some meat to keep my wife happy).

As of yesterday......

Drop-back fish are still absent. 3' of snow is still on the ground. Saturday saw rain and Sunday was warm and sunny so the river is up a little. Fish numbers are building and the majority are in the lower half. Fishing will be spotty at the FS cabins but it will change every day. The number of guys on the river is down. The upper road is in great shape, the lower road is muddy and soft but not a problem. Pulling drift boats at the bottom involves dragging the boat up with a long rope to avoid driving on soft sand and gravel. Walking the trails is tough, especially in the afternoon when the snow gets softer. Snowshoes aren't a bad idea. That'll remain true at 9 mile for a while! For now there aren't any fish there but any day......