Thread: k-bay (no) bear report

Default k-bay (no) bear report

been some tracks spotted on the bench, my buddy flew to the head of the bay yesterday and landed for some scouting. no tracks, no green-up yet, but it won't be long now....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

So the 2nd most ethical person on this forum is now using info gained from flights? And even worse...........dispersing that info on this forum! OMG!. You too may soon be on an "ignore" list, Dave!!!!!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Wink aw gee, mike

so you are gonna ignore me so as not to inadvertently glean any unfair advantage by knowing no bears are up in an area that can only be reached by plane?... just in case you fly all the way down here just to "do your part" by shooting all the bears you can?
    guess that makes you the 1st most ethical person on the forum.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I thought backcountry hunters have a strict rule against airborne scouting??? Maybe I'm wrong....

Question "strict rules"? nobody sent me a rule book....

i don't do well with "strict rules", but thats likely why i live where i do ....
    but there is a BIG difference between flying around the day before you hunt and then hunting what you saw the next day, and a friend flying a month before you plan to hunt in an area you won't be hunting....
    and i wasn't even in the darn plane! i just thought that with all the talk of bears coming out that this was interesting information for folks who are paying attention to when and where the blackies are getting up.

Homer Dave,
    Never mind these silly comments. You where just sharing information on the topic at hand. I appreciate you letting us know what things are like down that way.
    I don't think the other guys should be aloud to have computers, reading these forums on bear movements give them an unfair advantage. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Get a life people, Homer Dave did nothing moral or ethically wrong.

+1 to Bryan. Some people need to get outside or get a woman, or both.

Thumbs up homerdave

I appreciate your reports. Checking your posts last year allowed me to assist a couple of young hunters almost bag a very nice fat boar. The snow was still pretty deep but these two little guys, (9 and 11 yo sons of my friend) climbed cliffs and postholed until we got up to and spotted the bear. They were too tuckered out to make it to a good shooting spot and the youngest kid ended up getting his feet wet and was colder than heck so we decided to make our way down the hill but they had a great experience and want to do it again. I hope to see them become fine adult hunters and hopefully they may end up helping me to pack some moose meat down the line.

I'll be heading over there in my bayrunner after things get a little greener and the weather cooperates. I'll stay in the bay and let the bigger boats go after the ones further out. Again, thanks for keeping us informed with your reports.

Dave, how does this compare to last year?
    I just checked a seismic trail that I access my bait station on. Last April 15 I drove down it to get my barrel in. Today there's still way too much snow.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

mmusahi2k - Keep us posted as spring progresses and the young hunters get after it again. I'm taking my nephew out chasing bears in K Bay in late May, right after he turns 10. Hopefully we'll both be posting positive reports and pictures in the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    so you are gonna ignore me
    Dave, Dave, Dave........I'm not so shallow as to put folks on ignore just cuz they say something on here I may or may not agree with. But then, I don't have favored member status like some do.
    No flying down that way for me. Why don't you get a plane to go with the landing craft?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Dave,

"Some people need to get outside or get a woman, or both."

Best to stay inside with women. That is unless you have a secret spot!

Brett

Default Brian M

You betcha. I hope to get another opportunity with these youngsters as it would be exciting to see that they become truly hooked on hunting. Good luck with your nephew and I'll be looking forward to seeing the pics.

Default snow levels...

vance we have so little snow here it ain't funny... maybe 1'-18" up on the ridge, and low snow across the bay. the ash fell pretty good all the way to aurora lagoon, so the snow is gonna melt off really fast in the park, too.

Default Homerdave.........

Dave,
    Have you been to the ramp recently? I am thinking of towing the boat down this weekend and was wondering what the roads and ramps are like. Whittier is now out of the question, so i am just planning on coming that way if everything is good for unloading the boat. Thanks

David

ramp is fine, no worries...

Thanks for the info Dave!

Default latest...

talked to a couple guys who spent a few days cruising the park, they were based out of china poot.
    reported a brown bear track near humpy creek (not unlikely, in recent years there have been consistent sightings in the fall when the fish are in.) but they only saw one blackie, up high in tutka bay, not sure exactly where... (but i have a good idea..)

Default Bear report:

Does anyone have any info to share regarding the S.E. area, particularily around Yakutat/Icy Bay? Heading that way May 1st. Have been told that may be a bit early as there is still a lot of snow in that area.
    Thanks