Thread: 338 or 300

Default 338 or 300

Just wanted to get some opinions on theese 2. My father in law is Giving us one of his extra hunting rifles and wondering which is a better choice for an all around hunting rifle. One is a S&W model 1500, 338 win mag. The other is A Winchester model 70 xtr 300 win mag. The 338 is in a little better shape but both in good cond. It would be used for Moose/bou and maybe a lower 48 elk once in a while. Thanks in advance

either caliber is good for all around use in alaska. It is all about personal preference. I have a .338, but I want to get a .300 too.

Default Decisions, decisions

I agree, both are excellent calibers. I honestly think either one will make a fine addition to your or anybody's arsenal. I personally have both. Both will have abundant choices of factory ammo. I think you should tell your father in-law its to tough of a decision, so he should just give you both.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Default Fit...

Pick the one that fits you better when you shoulder it.

Jake

Default What kind of S&W?

If the S&W is that subcontracted Japanese kind, don't take it. Go with the Winchester.

ss

Quote Originally Posted by salchastar View Post
    If the S&W is that subcontracted Japanese kind, don't take it. Go with the Winchester.

ss
    `

With all due respect... The S&W 1500's (Japanese Howa's) are great rifles. I have one in 7mm RM and it has shot everything I have put through it very well. Easily a sub MOA rifle and a great action. Howa makes the Whetherby Vanguard which is about a good a rifle as you will get for the $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    `

With all due respect... The S&W 1500's (Japanese Howa's) are great rifles. I have one in 7mm RM and it has shot everything I have put through it very well. Easily a sub MOA rifle and a great action. Howa makes the Whetherby Vanguard which is about a good a rifle as you will get for the $$$.
    They made the Mark Vs as well until 1997.

Yup, nothing wrong with a Howa action. Otherwise, the choice between the 2 calibers, I would opt for the .338. Bigger hole, heavier bullet capability, versatile, better suited to stopping that big ol bear ( we all know them critters are behind every bush in this state just waiting to ruin our day) if the need ever arises. Besides, you have a 30-06 anyhow, right ? Jump up a caliber.

If the S&W is that subcontracted Japanese kind, don't take it. Go with the Winchester. ss

I don't know about that. I've seen some very, very nice Howas that shoot unbelievable. I'd look a Howa .338 over very careful before I'd say no.

ss
    I'd take the Toyota over the Chevy. I wish I didn't have to but the Japanese maker is just better quality.

Thanks for all the imput. I know Japaneese made is not a concern. I think they put pride in their work. My Toyota Tacoma has never been in the shop except normal service work, My 5 year newer F-350 has been in how many unexpected times?

i shoot the .300 and my buddy shoots the .338 both are great cals .the .338 has slightly better energy trajectory is similar but MUCH higher recoil and it tough to shoot a gun ur afraid of

Thumbs up 338

Go with the 338 and don't look back. It'll hit hard up close and stretch out there further than some care to shoot, if desired... It's fairly forgiving if you reload and ammo is plentiful if you don't. My .02...

I'd feel better with a .338 in bear country, but....."Pick the one that fits you better when you shoulder it."...is great advice. I gun that fits you well is a beautiful thing.

Brett

Default my thoughts....

If I am mainly hunting Alaska I would want the .338 caliber. Most of your shots will be well under 300 yards so the much sought after super flat trajectory is a bit misleading for most Alaskan hunting and shooting situations. But, between the 2, I would much prefer the Winchester do to it having the best big game hunting trigger ever designed. Also, the bolt can be field stripped with out tools and the safety is very good as it blocks the firing pin and trigger. In view of that, take the .300 and load a tough bullet of 180 or 200 grain weight.

Default have to go with the Winchester....

Nothing wrong with the Howa... I'm a winchester model 70 nut. If for no other reason than for the 3 position safety.

caliber wise I'd go with the 338. Yes it kicks, but I personally don't like the sharp recoil of the 300, prefer the 338's recoil "style". That's just me.

SO, I'd be in a bit of a pickle........ have to say I'd stick with the winchester.....

(hoping this doesn't open a hornets nest!!!)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I have both.. the 338 only comes out when the 300 is not aval.. like getting anual check up after season. ... or wife is using it. actually i have 2 338's and 3 boxes of shells have lasted 5 years. i see no difference except comfort in them.. but use what your comphy with..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks, not sure if which I will take. Maybe will have to take both from him !