Thread: Dry Sausage

Default Dry Sausage

Anyone making dry sausage out of moose? I thought Id give it a try and started a batch yesterday. This is my first attempt so I dont know what to expect. But I dont want to waste 40lbs of moose/pork meat on a avoidable mistake so if anyone has tried this feel free to advise me. I am following a recipe from Len Poli web site "elk salami" http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/ So far things look OK. It should be done fermenting in 4-5 weeks. No refrigeration necessary when done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default dry sausages

I have not tried making any yet but am getting geared up to do so. I bought a book called "the art of making fermented sausages" by Stanley and Adam Mariankski. Lots of technical info about bacteria,acidity,ph,temp ,humidity.........

Default Dried SausagesI have found you need to

I have found one sometimes needs to make humity. This can be done by taking a stainless steel baking pan and putting canning salt into it and adding water. This is placed into you incubator with a humity gauge. This allows you to get a constant humity. Also one should use protein lined casings as they shrink as the meat dries. We have sewn muslin bags and wet them before you stuff them. Hope this helps. The sausage looks great. I would sure like more information on your smoker from your last posting pictures.

Grizz

Go to the len poli web site for all the info you need on this subject.

I use a humidifier controlled by a humidistat as per instructions by Len Poli

Default One Week Later

One week in the chamber. 5 more to go

The Finished product turned out pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Predator Control View Post
    The Finished product turned out pretty good
    You are sending out samples, aren't you?

Sorry No free lunches. This post is only meant to wet your appetite for a quest for more knowledge. When you learn something good report back.

Started second batch. Yesterday I added 28 more moose salami's to the chamber. I used the same recipe but cut back on the pork fat from 20% to 10% and adjusted the spices a bit. Took all remaining 36lbs moose roasts out of the freezer for this project hope they come out as good as last time. Now its time to let the mold grow thick and do its magic. 10 weeks from now they should be ripe and ready. Ha... Just in time for hunting season. Timing is everything!