Thread: My SKS...is a dud...

Thumbs down My SKS...is a dud...

I consider myself lucky to even be on paper...at 30 yards today, my groups were HORRENDOUS! & then again at 50 yards...almost too embarassed to post this but I must...I will clean the bore & look through it wtih scope, & see what's the major malfunction with this JUNK!

I bought it used, & was pretty well, goaded into buying it, almost...it seems pretty old as well, & was pretty rusty with spots all over the place, I cleaned her up & cleaned out the bore as well as I could, & giddy as I was & finally got some ammo today, & I just wanted to toss this worthless peice of wood & metal in the river (too bad it's still FROZEN over)...I even told my son that this gun's WORTHLESS!

It's a NORINCO Chinese SKS, looks like it's been used since the Vietnam war...but is still pretty solidly built...

Was using a 30rd clip, & couldn't put the stock down firm to keep it from moving about, that could be an issue right there. If it is, I need to find a 10rd clip...& reshoot it with the stock down firm & the sights not moving much on target...if after that, & cleaning the bore again, & scoping it, & still shoots like crap, I'll use it for a fishnet anchor!

But shoot! What good's a semi auto that's only good for tossing lead down range? I did a rapid fire after the "precision" aiming & was hitting WAAY high (CREEP!)...If the AK-47 shoots the same way...

Then give me an M-16 ANY DAY!

I'm glad your sks is a dud.....maybe a few more Americans are alive because of it

I had an SKS years back and it was the same way, completely worthless to hit anything at all! I locked it down and at 50 yards the groups were like 14 inches so I took it back to the shop and picked up a Russian AK for twice the money. Twice the money did not get me twice as tight a group, it was around 12 inches at 50 yards, I can shoot a 1911 45acp better than that. So I got rid of it at a little less than I paid no more commie junk for me!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Yugo's

I bought a surplus Yugoslovian 59/66 and it shoots great (compared to the results you guys posted with Chinese stuff). My group was about 4 inches with cheap surplus ammo at 100 yards. I cant vouch from experience but I hear the Chinese guns are built with looser tollerances than the yugo's or the russian ones (if you can still find a russian). Give a Yugo a try.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Quote Originally Posted by ARKY View Post
    I bought a surplus Yugoslovian 59/66 and it shoots great (compared to the results you guys posted with Chinese stuff). My group was about 4 inches with cheap surplus ammo at 100 yards. I cant vouch from experience but I hear the Chinese guns are built with looser tollerances than the yugo's or the russian ones (if you can still find a russian). Give a Yugo a try.
    Both my brother and I my get similar groups with my Russian SKSs Arky. I just thought they all shot about 3 or 4" groups. Apperantly there is a big difference on where these thigns are made.

I've had 4 or 5. The Chinese made two types. One with pinned barrels and one with screwed in barrels. I kept the screwed in barrel ones. They seem to be tighter and were made in the 50's. I get about a 4" group at 100 yards using Chinese ammo. Had an AK that couldn't hit anything. Sold it.

I have a Chinese Norinko that I got back around 1990 and I have been very happy with it. I never "bench" shot it except when I first got it to zero it in. I think it was shooting about 1 - 1 1/2 MOA (factory open sites). After that I used it for plinkung, prairie dogs, shooting at steel disks etc., and I found it to be very accurate out to 300 yds/meters. I hit a steel disk at 300 yds, 6 for 6 offhand.

I've heard the Yugo's are good rifles.

sks, ak for close work are good to go but don't let me catch you from 1 foot to 600yds with my M14 because you ain't going to make it. Of course my M14 is American built. Oh, I have one of those spray everything SKS's form China as fast as you pull the trigger but need to be kinda close for me to have confidence with it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I had an SKS years back and it was the same way, completely worthless to hit anything at all! I locked it down and at 50 yards the groups were like 14 inches so I took it back to the shop and picked up a Russian AK for twice the money. Twice the money did not get me twice as tight a group, it was around 12 inches at 50 yards, I can shoot a 1911 45acp better than that. So I got rid of it at a little less than I paid no more commie junk for me!

What kind of "Russian AK" did you buy?

Pictures?

- Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)==)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacajun View Post
    What kind of "Russian AK" did you buy?

Pictures?

- Clint
    You got me, it was back around 1988 or 89 and G&J Sales in Prescott Arizona had about 20,000 of them. After cleaning 2 Junkers from their cosmoline I had no more interest in them and got a French Mass semi auto rechambered to 7.62 NATO, my brother still has that one I think.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Sorry to hear about your luck with the SKS. I had a Norinco as well, it shot about the same as you described, and it went down the road. My Hungarian AK with a milled-receiver will shoot as tight a group as I can manage with the stock sights, 1.5-2MOA. If I'm shooting at 100yds or more, then I want my AR-10 and some optics!
    Best of Luck,
    -J

There seems to be a lot of hatred for Russian designed small arms. The AK-47 and SKS were never designed to be precision weapons. They were designed to arm foreign military forces at a minimal cost. I would say for every single M16/AR15 rifle made there are three or four AK-47s made at the same time. If you wish to achieve 1-2" groups at 100 yards stick with your M14s, M16s, AR-15s, and bolt action rifles. If you want a basic no frills, go bang anywhere and under any conditions, get an AK-47 or SKS. There is no arguing the legendary reliability of the Kalashnikov design, plus ammo is still relatively cheap. I bought my Romanian AK-47 three years ago for well under 500 bucks, and I didn't expect it be on the same accuracy level as an AR15, but it has gone bang everytime I pulled the trigger, and I still manage to get 4-5" groups @ 100 yards. I think beyond that though the groups open up to 6-12".

I think the SKS still sees limited use in war time, but the AK-47 has been the weapon of choice for most communist and 3rd world nations.

I have a Norinco NHM 91. I have had no issues with it at all. I can get better then 3" groups at 100 yrds, but it does have a 21" long barrel. Sorry to hear about your issues.

Ron