Thread: Best way to get to Red Bay Lake?

Default Best way to get to Red Bay Lake?

Hi all,

a buddy and I are planing to rent one of those remote forest service cabins on Red Bay lake, this summer. Anyone know what would be the best and least expensive way to get there.....other than swim

We'll be coming from WA state.

Also any info on the area would be great.

msta999

Red Bay on Prince of Wales Island? Looks like Petersberg, Wrangell or Edna Bay would be the nearest population centers where you could get a boat or plane ride to Red Bay. I suggest contacting the chambers of commerce in those places.

http://ci.petersburg.ak.us/index.asp

Thanks, I did contact the chambers of commerce on POW and Ketchikan and they were helpful.

check out float operators out of Ketchikan. I know Taquan flies over Red Bay lake on their way to Port Protection. Wrangell is'nt so far away either.

Thanks, we emailed a couple different places in Ketchikan and looks like the cheapest is 1500 for round trip to Red Bay Lake. We are now looking for someplace closer to Ketchikan to try to get the cost down.

It so happens I'm chartering a floatplane to redbaylake cabin later this year out of Petersburg; since, as already mentioned, Petersburg and Wrangell are closer and cheaper to fly to redbay than Ketchikan.

I looked briefly into water taxi/dirt road/hiking etc. and it doesn't seem worth the bother compared to landing next to the cabin with a floatplane - so that's what I'm gonna do.

Other than getting there, I know nothing else about the place, so would appreciate a report if anyone else is going or has been there.

I'm sure you will have a great time. Let us know how it goes. I've never been and probably won't get to.

Lakes closer to Ketchikan
    McDonald
    Manzanita
    Ella
    Heckman
    Humback
    Checats
    Grace
    Salmon .... Prince of Whales
    Karta .... POW
    If you go to the Forest Service web site, I think they have a list of lakes with cabin rentals. Hope this helps.