Thread: Weldcraft Maverick and Sabre

Default Weldcraft Maverick and Sabre

I'd like some help. I've been shopping the boats for a couple months, and am pretty sure what design & size boat I want. I'm not set on Manufacturer's (like the Ford vs. Chevy battle).

There are Mavericks and a Sabre for sale, and to my eyes, their bow designs look more like a river boat design than one that would work well in salt water over here in Kodiak. The Sabre looks less suited for open water than the Maverick.

I don't want a boat that will slap the waves and pound the occupants. What can you tell me from first hand experience about these two models.

Thank you very much for all responses!
    Mike

I had a Sabre HT with an inboard jet. It was an awesome boat for the rivers, and worked well in the ocean when the waves weren't too big. It was very fast on the water, and handled like a dream!! But, it would beat you up a bit if the waves got big. The wife and I decided we liked the ocean better than the rivers, so we sold it for an ocean boat.

If you are going to buy a combo boat, for rivers and the ocean...I would not be afraid of the Sabre. If you are looking to stay in the ocean, I would opt for a deeper boat.

Hope this helps....AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

It helps a lot AkBillyBow! I suspected they'd bow slap a bit in larger seas, but thought I should check for someone with first had experience.

They sure look sleek, which is good for running rivers, but I was afraid the ocean performance would suffer.

Thanks again!
    Mike

Yep, it really depends on your usage. If it is mostly rivers and occasional ocean, you will be able to deal with it. But if it is mostly ocean running, it will get old fast. But, it does run way fast and exciting when the ocean is flat. I always thought it was fun when the larger ocean boats were running around 20 -30 mph, and I would jump their wake and fly by at 40 - 45 MPH !! Lots of fun by hard on the body if you do it too often!!! One good side is if the weather turns, you can run for shelter very quickly. But, you can do that with an ocean boat too if you have enough HP !!

AkBillyBow

Default river/ocean runners

If you go with a river boat which I believe both of those are and use them in the salt I HIGHLY recommend spending the money and getting some trim tabs, they're expensive but well worth it. I have a 20' Sportsman, now called sportjet and fish Valdez a lot out of it, after shrinking in height a couple inches and tasting my backside a little too often if you know what I mean I threw on some bennett tabs, makes a huge difference, not being able to adjust your trim with a jet you can stick that nose down a bit and cut the waves SO much better. You'll lose a few mph and slightly more fuel usage but it's well worth it.

That being said, I'm probably selling mine because all I do is spend time in Valdez anymore so I'll be looking for an ocean boat before long! It's been a great boat and did all I asked of it but looking for something I can stay out on the water with, they are good combo boats with a little common sense. Have fun with her whichever you decide!

My Weldcraft with a 14 degree dead rise does really well in the ocean. I go out of Seward with it and have hit 4-5 foot seas and cut the power a bit and she did fine. Just spray on the windshield. The suspension seat are a great help. With 1-2 foot sea its hammer down. I use it 95% of the time in the rivers.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Jimw...we basically had the same boat, except mine had the 3/4 hard top. Great boat and great fun!!! Wish I could have kept it along with my new boat, but couldn't afford them both!!

Here is a link to my old Sabre HT, if the link works:

http://thumb18.webshots.net/t/46/47/...8OuKEOx_th.jpg

Have fun...AkBillyBow

It does the job, and is truck load of fun on all water surfaces
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's