Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avalanche blocks way to Whittier

Default Avalanche blocks way to Whittier

We couldn't get through today and it sounds like we'll be lucky if it's cleared by Wednesday! Good thing there is still a couple of packages of shrimp in the freezer.

Default I thought all Alaskans....

were so broke in on their snow shovels by now a little avalanche wouldn't be a problem

Glad it came down before you went through, didn't hit you, or trap in on the Whittier side! We're all chomping at the bit to get out there and do something not associated with winter, hope you get through soon!

Just to clarify and make a little correction, It was a rock slide and NOT an avalanche. State is saying it should be cleared by wednesday. Rocks are to big for the machines the state has down there so there bringing in special machines that can handle the big boulders. One lady got really lucky. little rocks were raining down and she just got threw seconds later. Glad shes ok and home safely.

Dot currently says 4 to 7 days to clear the road

I know a couple of guys who went out Friday, a drag to be stuck in Whittier-could really run up a bar tab in three days there; would probable call in to work then fill up the tank and head back out.
    Won’t be heeded out tell next Saturday so should be open by then. Couple new pots and jigs hope to bring home some fresh rockfish and shrimp.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Was there today, state put the road clearing out this morning for bid.

Some rocks will have to be drilled then blasted. Equipment has to be brought in by rail due to wieght limits on the Seward highway. Going to be interesting, I do not see the road open by wednesday.

The gas line that runs right under the area poses some problems for blasting. Gotta love it.

Default No boating in Whittier Due to Rockslide 4/17&18&19/09

It's not likely you will get to whittier the next coming weekend they are telling us town folks that we are looking at 2 weeks maybe longer. Make sure you check out the DOT web site before traveling our way.

Well, the latest word from DOT for tentative reopening of the tunnel is Sunday the 19th, dang! Looks like Mother Nature through us another curve ball.
    http://www.dot.state.ak.us/comm/pressbox/arch_2009/PR09-2563.shtml
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I don't know about you guys, but this whole mess has made me so fricken sad! I had taken Friday off and planned on spending two days on the sound rippin' out the shrimp and fish. I had been planning this trip for about the last 3 months. The boat is in the driveway all geared up and ready for action...too bad there's no action to be had. I've decided to take Monday and Tuesday off in hopes of the tunnel being reopened for business, but I've got a crappy feeling that I may be SOL then as well.

Smile

I'm going to Seward to get my shrimp tomorrow. Nice alternative to Whittier.

Default Seward Shrimp - Take some Pics

Quote Originally Posted by kaisersosei View Post
    I'm going to Seward to get my shrimp tomorrow. Nice alternative to Whittier.

Hey - be sure and post some pic's of the catch - I would be curious to know if the average size is bigger over there - in comparison to PWS.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but this whole mess has made me so fricken sad! I had taken Friday off and planned on spending two days on the sound rippin' out the shrimp and fish. I had been planning this trip for about the last 3 months. The boat is in the driveway all geared up and ready for action...too bad there's no action to be had. I've decided to take Monday and Tuesday off in hopes of the tunnel being reopened for business, but I've got a crappy feeling that I may be SOL then as well.
    I share your pain; my boat is also sitting ready to go. We were hoping to head out Saturday night but now that seems like a pipe dream.
    Was hopping someone here may have insider news on road opining, the DOTs not commenting.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I didn't think you were allowed to shrimp in Seward. Are you traveling around the corner?

Recent DOT release via ADN is road opening was pushed back to Wed of next week at earliest (4/22).

Best of luck to all those trying to get a long weekend in.

Question Train

Back in the day (before the tunnel widening) you loaded your truck & car on the train to get to Whittier. Can't you do that now?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default Apparently Not

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    Back in the day (before the tunnel widening) you loaded your truck & car on the train to get to Whittier. Can't you do that now?
    "Vehicle-on-flat car service will not be provided to shuttle cars because the Federal Railroad Administration revoked the permit years ago after the road was opened to vehicles. Rail service will include two round-trips between Anchorage and Whittier with stops in Portage and Girdwood."

Bummer
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Unhappy

Here's the latest directly from the source:

Whittier Access Road: at Begich Peak Tunnel Entrance
    road closed, all lanes blocked because of a landslide — until April 22
    Comment: DOT&PF estimates that the road will be cleared and reopened by Wednesday, April 22nd. DOT&PF personnel and the contractor are working as safely and as quickly as possible to clear the roadway of all debris. The Alaska Railroad Corporation in cooperation with DOT&PF will continue to offer free shuttle service between Whittier and Anchorage twice daily through Tuesday, April 21st. You may contact the Alaska Railroad Corporation at 907-265-2494 for more information. Thank you for your continued patience.

last updated today at 1:50 PM

Just got back from Shrimping Seward. Went with Luke and he is still out there. I had to get back for stuff on Sunday. Shrimp seems about the same size as Whittier but we were not lucky in finding quantity. Just a small amount for two pulls. Got yellow-eyes, rock-fish and Dave caught about an 80 pound Butt near the pots. I would prefer Whittier and would have gone there if it was not for the rock-slide.

8 to 10 foot swells with 3 foot chops on top with an occasional 15 footer mixed in by the Chiswells on my way back in. Talk about a pucker-factor. Didn't feel threatened but was very uncomfortable. At least they were not close together.

John, the Stabi was great!

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    I didn't think you were allowed to shrimp in Seward. Are you traveling around the corner?
    There is no shrimpimg allowed in Seward but the NGC has been open for the past couple of years. That's a right hand turn around the corner when you leave Resurection Bay.

Thumbs down Whittier Tunnel May Not Open For April 24-26

They are telling us town folk, we may only get to leave and return 1 trip (out at 6:00am back in at 6:00pm) with an assist from a pilot car on Wednesday and that they are going to blast for another week. DOT will be updating us at 12:00noon Tues. I'd say happy boating but this pretty much sucks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast