Thread: First overnight float trip, need recommendations

Default First overnight float trip, need recommendations

Hi, I am starting to plan a float trip for the second half of this summer and need advise from the forum. Iím thinking about a ~ 7 day trip in the Katmai area (Alagnak River, American Creek, others?). Iíd like the trip to be rich in scenery, wildlife viewing and also have good fishing. Iím thinking 2/3 time fishing, 1/3 time photography. I have limited fishing gear and no river gear at all, so would like this first float trip to be fully guided. Iím thinking Katmai vicinity but open to all suggestions. Weíre not looking for luxury, just a great camping float trip to enjoy Alaskaís natural beauty. Can you give me recommendations for an experienced guide / outfitter that could provide a fully outfitted fun, safe and enjoyable trip at a reasonable cost? Thanks!

First of all, welcome to the forum

Never took a guided trip, but have talked with a guy, Chuck Ash, a few times. If I was to take a guided trip, he would be the one. He is very well thought of. He does the Goodnews River in late August. This is a 62 mile long gin clear river SW of Dillingham. That would be an awesome first float trip in my opinion. We did the Goodnews in late Aug/early Sept 2007. Great trip and I think you would really enjoy it. Below is Chuck's website. I see he has two openings for the Goodnews trips. Shoot him an email and get some info. Below is his site...

http://www.brightwateralaska.com/index.htm

If you have any interest at all in an unguided trip, let me know. My wife and I float a different river each year. I can tell you everything you need to know. Good planning is required, but it is easier to do than you might think. Happy to talk float trips if you want to know more.

Below is a link to pics from our trip on the Goodnews. Just hit "slideshow" in the upper right side of the page when it opens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...7603622658629/

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default thanks for sharing

I checked out Chuck's web site and I agree, the Goodnews river looks like a fun float trip. Chuck sounds like a good guide too. The trips are filling up quickly... I'll need to make a decision fairly soon.

Also, thanks for sharing your 2007 trip pics. You must have gone a little earlier in the year before the silvers were in? What gorgeous weather you had, very nice.

I think I will do my first trip with a guide, to make sure it goes smoothly and maximizes fun. After that, I may take the plunge and rent / purchase gear and give it a go. Lots of great info and enthusiasm on this site. Rafting seems to be a great way to see Alaska's back country. Can't wait!

If anyone else has a good recommendation, I'd like to hear.

Default Ouzel Expeditions and Brian Richardson as well

Ozuel Outfitters is also worth having a serious look they run trips all over the state as well as Russia first rate outfit with 20 plus years of serving all over

Alaska.http://www.angleradventures.com/news...aenews2005sep/

Brian Richardson who is also a fourm member use to run the American and has a wealth of knowledge to share you might want to PM him and get the skinny if indeed your running the Katmai area.

Best of luck and I know either way you will have a great adventure both options are worth investing in.

Tight Lines and Best Wishes

Blue Moose

Default First trip...

If you have limited experience, and want to become a rafter, I always suggest the GulKana River from Paxson Lake to Sourdough. A Five day or six day trip. Cheap. Safe. Good to great fishing.

If you want to buy a trip, then them other rivers are great, grand, and glorious.

And you might contact Brian Richardson. He is often at, and can be reached through, Alaska Raft & Kayak in Anchorage.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default Goodnews River info-

Quote Originally Posted by DaveFisher View Post
    I checked out Chuck's web site and I agree, the Goodnews river looks like a fun float trip. Chuck sounds like a good guide too. The trips are filling up quickly... I'll need to make a decision fairly soon.

Also, thanks for sharing your 2007 trip pics. You must have gone a little earlier in the year before the silvers were in? What gorgeous weather you had, very nice.

I think I will do my first trip with a guide, to make sure it goes smoothly and maximizes fun. After that, I may take the plunge and rent / purchase gear and give it a go. Lots of great info and enthusiasm on this site. Rafting seems to be a great way to see Alaska's back country. Can't wait!

If anyone else has a good recommendation, I'd like to hear.
    Dave,

Dan's trip was later in the year after the silvers were starting to turn. Several of the fish in his pics are colored-up silvers. I also saw some reds in there that were pretty dark; pre-spawning colors. I did the same trip around July 4th weekend and we found the river chock-full of nickel-bright sockeye, with chums, pinks and kings also in abundance. To me this is the best time to go if you want to cook fresh sockeye on the riverbank. Great stuff.

Of course just about any time you go, the rainbows, char, and grayling will be available. We even caught a lake trout just below Goodnews Lake. If you intend to release your fish (and you will release most of them) be careful not to remove them from the water; the mortality rate goes way up when you do that. Slime gets wiped off on your hands, fish get dropped, and they are stressed more than necessary. The Goodnews offers excellent flyfishing opportunities, but spin fishing works well too.

If you don't already have a copy, you might consider picking up Alaska Fishing by Gunnar Pedersen and Rene Limeres. You'll pull out a ton of info of use for your float trip, including information specifically on the Goodnews River.

If you go early as we did, you will find a lot fewer bears on the river too.

The Goodnews is an easy, slow class I trip that just about anyone could do. You are welcome to PM me with details; I'd be happy to assist you. Though I am a consultant for hire, I am willing to assist you within reason, at no charge.

Best of luck with your trip!

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Yeah, as Mike said, our trip was in late Aug/early Sept. The pics of the silvers you saw were 30+ miles up the Goodnews. We caught lots of bright ones in the lower river, but did not take many photos. Too busy fishing. The first few we caught we were eager to photograph for some reason. As Mike mentions, trip timing will dictate what you catch to a large degree. Especially as it pertains to the salmon.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default fishing guide

Dan is right on- Chuck Ash is the best i know- He has been doing this up here for over 30 years. We have fished over in Kamchatka, And even though i was guiding for his people there, i gathered a world of information just having him in my raft. Can't say enough good things about Chuck, he is truly a professional. Also it would be in your best interest to buy Rene's book.
    Goo Vogt
    ALASKA WILDWATER

Default guided trip

Thanks for info. This helps a lot. I do plan to "buy" this first trip with an experienced guide. It looks like much of the prime salmon fishing trips are already booked, I need to get a move on!

Since I'll be going along for the ride, I might try a river more challenging than class I. I'll let you all know what I end up with.

Great forum, thanks again.

Dave