Thread: motor on double ender

Default motor on double ender

I've got a 20 foot old town tripper and would like to put a motor on it somehow. any advice on side mounts or other ideas??

I have a side mt. That would be glad to sell PM me. You need a very light OB and need to keep speed down to be safe.

I fabricated a "transom board" and c-clamped it to the side/rear of my aluminum canoe. I think its 3 or 5 hp. An old Elgin. It worked splendidly. I think however my next lightcraft will be a pirogue type hull. wider perhaps with a flat bottom and more stable

Bonanza,

I've done hundreds of miles with side mounts on 17-18' canoes.....keep horsepower down as the guys say.....less than 4HP would be my choice and that little Honda 1.5 would be OK.....

If you don't cut a deal with KK PM me and I have an Old Town bracket in the shed that I'll part with.....Like new......

Vern

Default Here ya go

Looks easy to make, actually.

The 20 foot tripper is a fast canoe. Back when I worked at the paddle mill I had upgraded a guy's yokes, thwarts, seats, and a side motor mount all made of white ash on his 20 footer. He had a little mercury that weighed about 24lbs. The little merc 3.3 didnt affect the center of gravity of the canoe at all. Since the canoe is so efficient and fast.......by himself with a couple of rocks up front he had to have been doing at least 12 mph. accross Grand Lake. Good luck, couldn't think of a double ender better suited to a side motor mount.

Default Proper setup

With a good setup, you can go any number of ways. I have seen it done just fine with a 15hp on a sidemount for a 20' double-ender. Just required the proper counter-balance weight (tool boxes mounted on the opposite side). Most won't need that kind of power, so you could get by easier with a smaller motor.

Here's an ebay link, I've been thinking about one these for my Guide 147.

?? they look like they'd work.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&
    _nkw=canoe+motor+mount&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Default Hellbender's

I used one of the Hellbender's on my 15ft old town and I like it. Simple to attach and cheap. No problems to this point. I only use a small troller on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANOE-MOTOR-MOUN...3%3A1|294%3A50

Default Revisit topic of motor on double-ender

I would like to use a small HP trolling motor (maybe a 2 HP Honda) on my double-ender but would like to have the motor on a stern mount as opposed to a side mount. Has anyone done this and/or is anyone aware of a factory made rear stern mount? I found a patent for one but could not find any place that sold a read motor mount.

I normally troll for rainbows by paddling but I badly injured my left arm this year and paddling with one hand isn't the best answer. I do have an electric trolling motor but the battery life sucks for someone that fishes 10-12 hours a day.

have seen one on a dubble end, a bar to mount the motor on a 2 rods going from the sides of it, to the gunnels one each side, so the bottom of the mount is attached to the canoe an the top of it on the outer edge goes to the gunnels arms are about 3 to 4 FT long,
    it is hard to stear because on where it is to where you sit but for a troling eng slow speeds should work,

We had my 2hp yamaha on a 20' tripper with a side mount this summer....cruised right along...good enough for trolling for rainbows.....

Quote Originally Posted by longtimealaskan View Post
    I would like to use a small HP trolling motor (maybe a 2 HP Honda) on my double-ender but would like to have the motor on a stern mount as opposed to a side mount. Has anyone done this and/or is anyone aware of a factory made rear stern mount? I found a patent for one but could not find any place that sold a read motor mount.

I normally troll for rainbows by paddling but I badly injured my left arm this year and paddling with one hand isn't the best answer. I do have an electric trolling motor but the battery life sucks for someone that fishes 10-12 hours a day.
    I hurt my shoulder and had surgery and had an electric on my 16' Penobscot with a side mount and had the same problem with battery life. I bought a Merc 3.3 and use it as a side mount on a homemade mount and it works perfectly. It has an on-board tank that needs to be filled about ever 3 hours when trolling at an idle. I mount it on the left side of the canoe and sit to the right side of the seat and it is pretty well balanced but it is sometimes a long reach to make a hard right turn, but for the most part I just set it and just make minor inputs as needed.

The 3.3hp works pretty well on my 17' Grumann and Esquif Cargo too....great little motor!!!

The thing I don't like about a side mounted motor is that it's in my way when I'm fishing. Looking at the side mount in Sayak's reply above, I think I could make one of those and attach the motor mount and motor behind me where it would be out of my way more. That would also keep the weight of the motor closer to the center line of the canoe and would be less tippy. I've decided to make a motor mount like that shown in the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimealaskan View Post
    but would like to have the motor on a stern mount as opposed to a side mount.
    I've seen homemade rear motor mounts, but the problem with a stern mount on a double ender is that it's hard to reach the motor for repairs and adjustments out on the water. Especially with an injured arm, look beyond the convenience and think carefully about the risk of something going wrong far from shore. If you really want a rear mount then you might be better off trading in your double ender for a square stern. Otherwise a side motor mount like in Sayak's picture really is the simplest solution.
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.