Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fur things...

Default Fur things...

Anyone make things from fur?

I hear there's a person out in Chickaloon that makes an awesome fur hat.

nuh-uh!!! Where!!!

I'm not too bad with a needle & thread & have been interested in some projects. But short of buying the fur, I don't see myself getting on those projects for a couple of years yet. What do you make?

If it can be made from fur I can make it but mostly hats and mittens tho I have done pillows, checkbook covers, bra liners, thows and blankets and once a vest.

Go to eBay and buy some inexpensive rabbit fur and start there. It's terribly addicting once you get started

Default samples?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfwoman View Post
    If it can be made from fur I can make it but mostly hats and mittens tho I have done pillows, checkbook covers, bra liners, thows and blankets and once a vest.

Go to eBay and buy some inexpensive rabbit fur and start there. It's terribly addicting once you get started
    Have you got any pictures to show us?
    I've been interested in doing so, but I'm more of a "do it all" kinda guy and would like to trap/hunt the game and go through the whole thing. Have thought of buying and if it comes to that, I will be looking for the goods to make me a good set of beaver mitts and hat.

We work together , hunting tanning and sewing.
    Caribou is our main material.
    Mostly my wife sews for our family, though she make the occassional mega buck with a museum or two. She even has a little girls parkee in the Museum at 7th ave in Anch.
    sewing make hunting into a viable profession......

The caribou sled bag and various parkees all around.

Caribou, polar Bear and arctic fox mittens

Wolves into ruffs
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I understand, but it's cheaper to cut up and make mistakes on a few rabbit pelts than a beaver pelt that you worked hard to trap, and then either worked hard to tan or paid to have someone else tan

Lotsa pics www.alaskaspiritcrafts.com

But here's a bomber hat.... seems to be the style everyone likes, but not my favorite to make.

What does it cost, if I sent a detachable down filled parka hood to someone via mail, and they put a Durable ruff on it. Not for fashion, but for function. It appears to be 24" around the front of the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    We work together , hunting tanning and sewing.
    Caribou is our main material.
    Mostly my wife sews for our family, though she make the occassional mega buck with a museum or two. She even has a little girls parkee in the Museum at 7th ave in Anch.
    sewing make hunting into a viable profession......

Very awesome!! I was hoping to get some other skinsewers into this thread! I haven't had any requests for making parkas yet (well none that went through) but someday I'd like to try to make one!

I've made several hats, a few mitts (not my favorite), slippers and 1 pair of mukluks. I didn't like the mukluks, probably just the pattern I used. I made mitts for my wife out of arctic fox with a black and white suede trim. Slippers are fun, everyone gets a pair. I use beaver with a suede sole coated with sole saver for traction. A lot of fun.

Against my better judgement I made a friend a trapper hat from Sea Otter. Very hard to sew and way too warm. Racoon makes a nice hat. Easy to sew and not too warm.

Make a couple pillows from rabbit to get rid of the jitters. Ask around, community schools often have someone teaching a class.

Enjoy.

Default ruffs

I see the ruffs down below but does anyone have a "pattern" per se? Picked up a few wolverine and wolf....and figured it's about time to put some fur on my annorak, as currently it is just a windsock when on the snogo trapping.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Default Ruffs

Alaskan, as far as I've seen, ruffs are just fur backed with material of the sewers choice. Sometimes they are sew right sides together and turned, sometimes they are sewn by hand on the outside, it's all your preference. I've even seen a few put on with velcro, some sewn to the coat, some with buttons, again, it's all in what you want.

Hopeak, what kind of fur do you want? That will decide the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfwoman View Post
    Alaskan, as far as I've seen, ruffs are just fur backed with material of the sewers choice. Sometimes they are sew right sides together and turned, sometimes they are sewn by hand on the outside, it's all your preference. I've even seen a few put on with velcro, some sewn to the coat, some with buttons, again, it's all in what you want.

Hopeak, what kind of fur do you want? That will decide the cost.

The fur needs to be utility, not look pretty, it is a work coat.

Then you will be wanting coyote, wolf or wolverine, they are sturdier than fox, marten or a few of the other 'pretty' furs.

I had the wife drawing a diagram"patern?" to show where the ruff is cut from, and a few tips, problem is the copying machine is not sending messags to the computer.....
    My kids killed the computer, so I am using an Ipod touch and my daughters laptop when she comes home from school, lately...

I'll see if I can get it fixxed, and hopefully show where ona wolf you can cut your own ruff from, and sew.

Sorry 'bout that.

Here is where I am at so far.

Very interesting.
    Very good work as well, those are decent stitches....you dont want then small and tight with fox skins.
    Now Fox ruffs are alot like Wolf ruffs, not in pattern but in durabilty. They can tear easily, especially where the stiches are. My wife sews them with a bit wider stitch than other leathers.
    Now you need to toughen it up for attaching to your hood, and tougher skin is used to trim the Fox so it wont rip.
    You will need a "water fur" type skin as in Beaver or Otter, about 1 to 1-1/2 inch wide trim along the bottom of the ruff. This will get sewn onto your hood, and will be tough enough for use then.

Do keep us posted.

Default yup

The stiches are a bit small, but that is to take the stress off one stich, and put it on th entire strip, however they aren't "that" close. Also, they are not pulled tight. Migh tlook that way, but they aren't, I did my best to make sure no extra stress is addd to the stich. Also, the entire ruff will be reninforced because of the thin leather of a fox. And currently have a 1 1/4" section of beaver that will be attached to the fox hide, but I want to get it reinforced before I sew the beaver to it (as the beaver will be what is attached to the hood.

Now, my question. Does the beaver/otter get backing along w/the fox, or is it left "backless" of material and just sewn straight to the hood? I would guess it gets backed when I do the fox, and then the beaver is just the area that gets sewn to the ruff. Correct?

Looks good Alaskan, keep up the good work and make sure to post more pics as you go along. I'm going to be doing a bit of sewing today (as most days) and will try and get some pics if I do any hand sewing. Most of my work is done on the fur machine, but there are still some things that need to be sewn by hand

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast