Thread: Garmin 60CSX question

Default Garmin 60CSX question

Yesterday as I was standing out on the lake trying to find a piece of property for sale I turned on my gps and nothing. It worked the day before and when I turned it on the screen flickers and you can hear the sound of the buttons when you push them but thats it, you can't see nothing on the screen. Has anyone ever encountered this problem, I'm waiting to hear back from garmin but thought I would ask all of you.

Thanks,

Just checking the obvious... did you try some new batteries? Might also try pulling the batteries out and let the unit sit for a half hour (clear the RAM). Then power up with a fresh set and see what you get.

Sounds like you may have a defective unit, though I've never heard of this before as Garmin makes solid products. Call their customer service dept in the morning so you can actually talk to a person about it.

M-F 8-7 CST call 800-800-1020
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Yeah I tried two sets of new batteries but I didn't let it sit without. Thanks for the number, I've been searching onlie on their site to try to find some answers, I just hope I can pull off my saved tracks or that if I have to send it off to be fixed that they will not be erased. I have heard of where a magnet will screw them up if they are close to each other for any length of time, but thats the first time I've heard of that one anyone else heard that? I haven't had it next to one just had it in my pocket next to my cell phone on the snowmachine ride in, but that shouldn't do anything to it would it?

Unfortunately... any data you've got in the unit if you send it in will be lost.

Here's a question, if it appears to be powering on, but you just don't have anything to view on the screen (e.g. the screen itself is defective), you should still be able to plug it into your computer and use Mapsource to download all your data from the unit. It should have come with the basic Mapsource waypoint manager and the USB cable to allow you to do that.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I would think so as well, but the computer doesn't see it. When I plug it into the computer I hear the ping noise of it finding new hardware but thats it, it doesn't show up. It's very frustrating.

Check and see if the microSD card is making contact. I'd do a hard reset before I sent it back to Garmin. A hard reset will cost you all your tracks and other data.
    Did you save any tracks to the data card? Pull it out and check with a card reader.
    The battery contacts will sometimes not be making good connections. Pull you batteries and bend the tabs a little.

where did you buy it from?

I bought it from Cabela's in the Bargin Cave in Minn. when I was down there in Jan. I sent it off to Garmin as the hard reset didn't work, and they are stumped as well. Thanks for all the help though.