Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Call me a Pansy, but......

Default Call me a Pansy, but......

What do you all think? I recently purchased a Sako in 270 WSM and topped it with a Zeiss 4.5-14X44. My issue is that I cannot see bullet impact in my scope as it jumps when I shoot. I usually shoot a muzzle-breaked 300 RUM and can watch bullet impact on my target through the scope; maybe I got spoiled. ANYHOW, my buddies call me a "PANSY" because I'm breaking my .270 WSM. I just want to watch that sheep and goat this year take the hit (wishful thinking, huh?). I don't necessarially need the shoulder cushion. By-the-way, that rifle and cartridge smokes clay pigeons at 400 yards like butter, puts groups less than 2" at 300 yards, and stacks holes at 100......problem is that I can't watch it happen. I will after next week with my new "chick" rifle.

hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do! if it makes you happy and more comfortable then more power to ya bud!!! besides, now you have a rifle your kids can shoot or your ol' lady can shoot one day!!!

I absolutely despise muzzle breaks ! But, what I or anyone else thinks of them has nothing to do with you having a comfortable shooting rifle. The more comfortable you are with it, the better you will be able to shoot it. That is a good thing.

Have you tried a high quality recoil pad yet, or is this just an attempt to witness bullet impact by reducing muzzle jump ?

Its your rifle, do what you want to be comfortable with it. If you believe the break makes you more accurate, you should put it on. I quit worrying about what my buddies think a long time ago.

What are these muzzle brakes doing to your hearing? When I'm at the range, I set up as far away as possible from the magnum guys with the muzzle brakes. Some of those recoil reducing things are hearing reducing things also. Ken

I did the same thing on my Kimber 270WSM. It's worth it to not anticipate the punch.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Engel View Post
    What are these muzzle brakes doing to your hearing? When I'm at the range, I set up as far away as possible from the magnum guys with the muzzle brakes. Some of those recoil reducing things are hearing reducing things also. Ken
    Ken hearing loss and shooting are synonymous in nature...care should be taken when ever shooting..my hearing was damaged LONG before i heard of a muzzle brake. most you guys may not realize the few quick pops off your hand gun or small call rifle.. are really hurting yourselfs..carry ear plugs. when shooting.. big magnums. ear plugs and muffs ..

Sound is logarithymatic... it does not just step up in decibals... each step basically doubles the last. any thng over 85 Db should have protection on.. as a safety Engineer. i could go into a long and ardious speal... but you guys get the drift...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have a .270WSM with a break and a limbsaver recoil pad, I got it so my son will have something to hunt with, but I personally like shooting it. I took it deer hunting last year and it worked really good.

Yes, I do wear earplugs at the range. Even while wearing earplugs or muffs, you will notice a big difference between guns with muzzle brakes and those without. Ken

Smile what power....

Shoot it with the scope on the low power setting and see if you can. This may sound dumb but I try to keep the scopes reticle on target during and after the trigger press. Kind of like follow through if you can picture it. The gun stays on the shoulder and pointed in, I then cycle the action to chamber another round. During all this I am still doing all I can to keep the scopes reticle on target. Most of my shots with my .338 and the 2.5 x 8 scope are taken on 2.5 power. I can always see the reticle on the target after the shot no matter what the power range. Is it in the same exact spot, heck no, I just had an explosion in my guns chamber and a 250 grain bullet got launched! The exception for this is when I am on the bag at the bench and trying so hard to keep the scopes reticle from moving that I compromise some control of the rifle during and after recoil in an attempt to get the smallest posible group. I try not to let this happen. Proper shooting technique is a thing that takes lots of practice. I use Leupold scopes and though they have usually have the best eye relief they don't normally have the widest field of view. As far as a muzzle break goes that is up to you. I don't like the trade off in extra noise for less recoil and some of them add to the barrel length. I do believe if you spend some time with your rifle and concentrate on keeping the reticle on target after the trigger break you will find you can see the impact. Do a lot of dry firing practice and concentrate on keeping the reticle on target after the trigger break.

Default You are a pansy

You should just man up and stop flinching.

And if you can't do that give stan jackson a call.

Default ok

your a pansy

sorry someone had too

Quote Originally Posted by thehappyalaskan View Post
    your a pansy

sorry someone had too
    You beat me to it. I was just in the middle of typing almost the exact same thing!! Great minds think alike. Or smartbutt minds think alike...you choose
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Default I agree with your buddies,

though I doubt you really have any friends if you shoot with a muzzle brake.
    Gary

Default Muzzle blast should go down range.

Anyway, that's how I feel about it. I once went to the range with a friend who had a muzzle break. Once. It is however, your rifle and you should do to it what makes you happy.

"I absolutely despise muzzle breaks !"

+1

They are absolutely deffening! I made the mistake of buying a used .375 with a break. Never again. If you can't handle the recoil get something smaller or spend more money on a gun that fits you right so the felt recoil won't kill you. Limbsaver recoil pads work wonders just don't prop them in the corner on the carpet as the pad gums up on the carpet. Seems crazy to me especially on a .270, but if you're happy with it that's what matters.

Brett

Default 50/50 pansy

Fricking glad to see some of you broke your .270 WSM as well! I thought I was the only one, or at least the only one who admitted to it. I can't wait to shoot Mr. Blastie this week. As for all of you who think I'm a pansy, we're not even diving into what I do for a living (JAKLEDOC -hush!). I gots ta keep this fine piece of god-given body trauma-free (includes my shoulder), so as to enable me to maintain my near superhuman ability to pack critters out on my back . Anyway, most of you agree with most of my friends - I'm going somewhere else for support. ha, ha...

I had a muzzle brake on one of my .223 AK's....a lesson in PAIN!!!, and I was just shooting for fun. Took that off after the first mag and filed it under "junk"

In my personal experiance, Muzzle brakes and recoil are the last thing you'll notice when you have an animal to put the bullet in....the world stans still for a fraction of a second, as when I get level, I am already squeezing (Finn military two stage trigger)

If you dont actually "see" the bullet impact, you can tell that you hit the animal sure enough by the sound of the impact and the way the animal acts......some drop, some walk, but a good hallow 'womp" and reactive twitch tells me that the work is about to begin.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Seems you shouldn't need one, if you're hunting with someone else they almost always watch for impact on an animal and you should be able to tell if it is hit due to behavoir like everyone else said. If anything go practice with larger calibers too help with your shooting experience. Helped me a great deal by practicing with my dads .458 lot by reducing my flinch and helping my posture. Now my 30-06 is like it's never there....

I wouldn't have asked in public to break a .270 jk, whatever works for ya

Cant even imagine considering braking a 270, for gods sake my kid's been shooting a 270 since he was 8 years old! I'd really think that one through.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast