Thread: smoked bear ham/pork jerky??

Default smoked bear ham/pork jerky??

Ok,!! now that I have some peoples att.--"what are you an idiot" etc. I have been gathering recipes for the real Virginia smoked, sugar cured hams. My question to this group is: why can't the same recipes-"rules"- apply to bear hams?? I am very aware of trich.. and am trying to see the differences between curing raw pork and raw bear. As another step, I got to thinking--what whould it take to make pork jerky?? How hot, for how long, etc to take care of the trich worm/cyst etc. haven't read about pork jerky, but "cured hams" were sure part of our heritage!! Our Founding Fathers sure loved Virginia cured hams!!
    I probably should have put this on the fishing forum, as it seems to go more with the "smoking fish" people, but here it is. IF, this has been discussed before, I couldn't find on a search, sorry to repeat. bob n
    alaskabob

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

smoked bear ham is great!!!!

I use a light game bird brine in mine and smoke it at 180, until the internal temp is 160, MMMMMMmmMMMM!

hungrey now.. what was the question?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default oooh.... i had forgotten..

how good bear ham can be!!!
    just one more reason to take a spring bear AND a fall bear!!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    how good bear ham can be!!!
    just one more reason to take a spring bear AND a fall bear!!!

spring and fall hams....

Dave.. that is 8 more reasons...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Delta Meat and Sausage will smoke bear hams and they're absolutely first rate.

Now if the dang bait station will ever thaw out enough...

I've had mat valley meats do them for me and its first rate! Now I do my own, and its almost as good but a whole lot cheapter! Now I just smoke everything i can.