Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe heading North

Default Maybe heading North

Hi, My wife and I have been planning to move to AK for a few years now. Everything is finally falling into place. Initially I thought we would move to Anchorage but now I am not sure. We could possibly move to Anch, Seward, Kodiak, or Sitka. I have only been to Sitka and it is great. My brother lives there now with his family. Out of those possible areas what do the locals suggest. We should be able to get employment in any of those areas (Sitka could be difficult) so that is not a problem. I would like to maximize my access to fish and game. In Sitka we have a boat but not being able to drive anywhere could get dicey.

Los Anchorage would be my last choice...........The only reason to be in Anchorage is Medical care if your real old, or employment. I am more and more seeing Moose Pass or Crown Point as interesting places to live, and work in Seward, AK.

Brian, I'm assuming you're from Portland? Don't know your reason for leaving, but you'll find that Anchorage is pretty much the exact same city(excluding the weather), same good and bad. I agree with HopeAK; Seward for recreation and the road. In Kodiak or Sitka, unless you have tons of money for flying or the ferry, you won't be seeing much of Alaska but Kodiak or Sitka.

Thanks for the reply. I grew up in small town OR. I enjoy some parts of Portland but I really want to get out. I have only been here for two years and have always dreamed of AK anyways. My wife and I work in healthcare so we have good leads on jobs. We would probably like to stay with providence. I really like Sitka but the limited access would be a drag. I realize AK is huge. How long do you all dedicate to say a bou hunt? Moving up there will be very costly so we won't be able to pay for guides and such. All of our hunting has to be DIY. I am not interested in trophy hunting but would like to be able to put meat in the freezer most years. I also want to be able to fish salt. The ability to fish on the ocean in Sitka is prolly my biggest draw there. I think the distance to salt fishing is the biggest drawback from anch.

Well it looks like we are favoring Juneau. I have a 17' Boston Whaler. Should I keep the boat? Is it enough boat for the area? I understand that the straights can be pretty nasty with the tidal exchange. Thanks for the info.

I'd pick Kodiak as It's the only place I've been in the state that I've wanted to drop everything and move to, but I don't have any employment opportunities there.

I haven't been to Juneau, but the political climate would turn me off big time. You should find the 17' whaler useful down there though.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianPDX View Post
    Well it looks like we are favoring Juneau. I have a 17' Boston Whaler. Should I keep the boat? Is it enough boat for the area? I understand that the straights can be pretty nasty with the tidal exchange. Thanks for the info.
    An ex-Oregonian here.......I'd agree with Paul on both issues. Kodiak would be great, Juneau would be the last place I'd want to live unless you like politicians and greenies.

Default Oh Da Move

Depends on the reason you are moving.

Hunting & fishing only, retired and don't need to work, Kodiac, Sitka would be great.
    Live near ocean for saltwater fishing hunting, or freshwater fishing only then thats a diff story.

Looking for work and hope for the best fishing well then Anchorage is top pick.
    Where else is there lots of jobs all year around ?
    I have lived here since 1975 , have not shot anyone, have been to some super fishing places both fresh & salt where there is no one else there. along with been employed.
    So there is a lot of ways to look at it. Heck moving to Kenai might be like living in Or, plenty of folks on the river and jobs are not a dime a dozen.
    But to each his own idea of what alaska is to them. Me i don't want to fish with 500 other people.

Default PDX Vs. JNU

BrianPDX,

I'm not sure if this will help or not with your decision to move. First I'll say any move out of Oregon, especially PDX is a good move. Been there and done that and I didn't leave anything behind. Although, I do like visiting the various McMenamins establishments for a frosty beverage. Now, the only decision you have to make is where your new Alaskan home town will be.

I'm married to a health professional who happend to do the locum tenen thing for about three years all around SE Alaska. With that said, she doesn't consider Juneau, Ketchikan or Sitka as viable options for permanent employment for various reasons.

Seward, Kodiak and Anchorage are better options for health care careers. She's found her niche at Prov in Anchorage and loves it. She's also worked for Prov in Seward and thought it was great.

I say move to Seward. Great lifestyle, great community and plenty of recreation along with the abilty to foster a career.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    BrianPDX,

I'm not sure if this will help or not with your decision to move. First I'll say any move out of Oregon, especially PDX is a good move. Been there and done that and I didn't leave anything behind. Although, I do like visiting the various McMenamins establishments for a frosty beverage. Now, the only decision you have to make is where your new Alaskan home town will be.

I'm married to a health professional who happend to do the locum tenen thing for about three years all around SE Alaska. With that said, she doesn't consider Juneau, Ketchikan or Sitka as viable options for permanent employment for various reasons.

Seward, Kodiak and Anchorage are better options for health care careers. She's found her niche at Prov in Anchorage and loves it. She's also worked for Prov in Seward and thought it was great.

I say move to Seward. Great lifestyle, great community and plenty of recreation along with the abilty to foster a career.
    Prov is a great place, my wife works for them now. Juneau seems to have quite a few job opportunities, I'm not sure why it wouldn't be a viable option. There are certainly far more jobs in Juneau than there are in Seward. It does seem that Prov pays better than Bartlett though.

Thanks for all the replies.

+1 on the McMenamins; Crystal Ballroom, Grand Lodge, Edgefield- I could go on and on, but I'll leave it at this- St. John's Pub!!!

Default valley?

Whittier = 2 hr drive, Homer / Valdez 5 hr, Seward about 3 hr's. The Susitna drainage has all the river run Salmon. Moose and sheep diy hunts are less than a two hr drive. The Alaska range, Talkeetnas, and Chugach mountains are all in the backyard for exploring as well. (snowmachine, 4-wheeler, mining, skiing, hiking, ect..) My wife works as a RN at Prov. in Anch, and I work year round construction in the pop. base of Anchorage / Valley. I have worked in every major community on the road system, and many places off it. Homer being my favorite on the road, Kodiak the best off it, though neither compare to the total diversity we have here. The only downer is driving through Anch to get to the Kenai Peninsula. There are pros and cons to anywhere, but my freezers are full every year with salmon, Halibut, and meat, and there is always work to keep the checks coming. It is so much more than I ever found anywhere living in the lower 48. (WA, ID, MT, OR, WY.)

Well after looking at all of our options I have accepted a position in Anchorage and my wife will pretty soon as well. If anyone can give me tips regarding good areas to find housing please do so. We will prolly rent to begin with but hope to be able to buy a house soon. I am hoping to bring up our boat but it may have to wait a year as I have very little time to prepare for a huge move.

Daily Snooze Classifieds is the place to start looking for rentals.

I do not recommend Fair View or Mountain View and any "mobile home" situation in Anchorage. However if you are at Regional then Fairview is right down the road to the west. The Airport Heights area to the southeast is not bad and is slowly improving. There are lots of hidden "gems" on the east side in Muldoon, but folks usually make a face when you bring that area up. However it does have some seriously nice older neighborhoods hidden away behind the apartment houses on the main streets.

If you are at Prov or Native Health then there are more options since they are close to mid town and are accessed by three major roads.

Of course you can be like most poeple and drive 10 miles one way each day while living in the southern part of town.

Right now the Anchorage real estate market appears to be at a peak so buying now for the long term may not work too well if the market slows and reverses if the L48 economy ever effects Alaska. Rent for a while and then see what happens.

Default relocating

Temporally I would start in Anchorage. Los Anch is the hub for the whole state. It has the most resources. After settling in go fact finding to other towns based your own criteria. Then the next relocation will be a better informed one.--AkKevin

Well thank you all for the help. My wife and I are headed up July 5th. We should be arriving in Anch on the 11th. We have a lot to do in the meantime. I think we will rent a place in Eagle River for now and then try to buy a home a little later. I think that I only want to spend a couple of years in Anchorage and then move some place a little smaller. I hope to meet some of you and I assure you I will have a lot more questions.

We made it! The ALCAN is a very long road to say the least. I will be changing my handle on these forums and start exploring some of the other info on the site. Thanks to everyone who helped us along the way.

Congratulations!

So are you guys in Eagle River or Anchortown, or still looking? I'd suggest going through a winter before buying a house, as you'll get a better idea of how various areas are in the winter, as well as how they handle the spring thaw. While I love our neighborhood in Eagle River, having a house that is in the shade for over 2 months in the winter is a bit of a bummer.

If you have any questions drop me a pm or maybe we can get together for coffee.

Paul,

We went with Anch for now. I want to see how it fits and move on from here. Mostly right now we are trying to enjoy the summer while it lasts.

The funny thing is, after 12 years in Eagle River I want to move to Anchorage. Between the commute getting busier each year, and all the kids activities that seem to be in Anchorage, we spend way too much time driving.

Definately make the most of what's left of summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast