Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackies are out in numbers

Default Blackies are out in numbers

Well, I have been getting the itch pretty bad. Work has been way too busy and we just got out of yet another excercise with 8 days of 12 hour shifts. I finally got a day off and decided to do some hiking. I have heard a few reports of blackie sightings and saw a few posts on here, but I was not prepared for what I found. I crossed the tracks of 3 different bears, one a sow and cub and then another larger set, and then at the end of the day found this guy. I hiked a total of about 6 miles round trip. I think next time I will head to a huntable area and take a bow or rifle.

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I think they would be sinking up to there butts in snow around here, and turning around for thier nests for another week.

Default S se

I haven't heard of one sighted yet here around Ketchikan or on Prince of Wales Island .... should be any time now. But it will be awhile before any 'numbers' are out.

The mainland to the east is still very deep in snow ....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up

Awesome shot huntn photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

ok and with that photo as inspiration, looks like ill spend my days off bear hunting till i get one.... good picture man!

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    I haven't heard of one sighted yet here around Ketchikan or on Prince of Wales Island .... should be any time now. But it will be awhile before any 'numbers' are out.

The mainland to the east is still very deep in snow ....
    My son and I were going to head up towards Neets today to do a little scouting, but the trip fell through. Maybe next week.

I just spotted what I thought was two bears, on the Mountain across Six-mile creek, However when I got the spotting scope on them they turned into two wolves. They have been there for about an hour. In 40 years of hunting Alaska I have never seen a bear in a tree, not once.

isn't that the little boar near the post gate?

Hopeck, try getting them out of the tree once they get up there.

Funny storys from when I was a kid. Talk about it in a book.

Them things can climb.

awesome shot. And not bad dude. Three bears in 6 miles.

Default POW Island

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    My son and I were going to head up towards Neets today to do a little scouting, but the trip fell through. Maybe next week.
    I am headed over to POW on Monday or Tuesday and wake up the cabin for my spring Bear hunter. I will be out and about ... I need to put up a little firewood and I think all the spur roads are still closed by snow ... probably be a skiff / beach wood detail ....

Something tells me I'll need snowshoes in that May 1st hunt !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    I am headed over to POW on Monday or Tuesday and wake up the cabin for my spring Bear hunter. I will be out and about ... I need to put up a little firewood and I think all the spur roads are still closed by snow ... probably be a skiff / beach wood detail ....

Something tells me I'll need snowshoes in that May 1st hunt !!!!!!!

More than likely, the snow came way down into Ward Cove last night.

One bear in a tree I saw was from a chopper while doing bird tracking work. He was sprawled out in an eagle nest taking a siesta, till we flew over, and he lit out like a scalded cat. Great pic!

Default not a happy camper

He does not look happy that you found him. Did he make any noise? That is an awesome photo. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    I just spotted what I thought was two bears, on the Mountain across Six-mile creek, However when I got the spotting scope on them they turned into two wolves. They have been there for about an hour. In 40 years of hunting Alaska I have never seen a bear in a tree, not once.
    That was the second bear I have seen in a tree. This is the first one I photographed 2 1/2 years ago.

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I am right there with ya hope... not once ever never.. I thought i spoted one in a cotton wood once... turned out to be the biggest porky EVER!!..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wink bears in trees are easy to spot

in the fall at the Wildlife Conservation center in Portage.
    I think I see them almost everytime I drive past in Sept.
    Gary

I drove to kenia and back yestersday there were a number of guys parks in differant parts along the road. Drove thru about 10am came back about 4pm. Got me thing about going hiking this week..

In 40 years of hunting Alaska I have never seen a bear in a tree, not once.
    First Blackie I ever ran into promptly climbed up a tree, about 5 years ago in Beluga.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Wink

In 40 years of hunting Alaska I have never seen a bear in a tree, not once.
    I have seen a lot of the black bears in spring, way up high in the Cottonwood Trees. They go up to eat the buds coming out. One flight over the Chulitna a couple years ago, we counted 18 in about thirty minutes. You can see them for a mile off, with the naked eye. Anywhere along river beds is a good place to look up in the trees.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast