Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Cod

Default Pacific Cod

There are plenty of fish eaters here on this forum. What you do think, are P Cod worth keeping and eating? They are very plentiful in Seward in May and June. no bag limit....

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

ive eaten them and they are good fresh. as long as they arent loaded with worms and i didnt get them from a reasturaunt or at carrs i can eat them. when i commercial fished halibut the skipper cooked some up and i complained but the choice was "eat cod or dont eat". that was some pretty good cod.

Thumbs up thumbs up on p-cod!!

i actually prefer them to halibut, so much that i bought #100 in the round and filleted/vac packed them.
    IF they are not wormy! the spring cod here tend to be pretty good, the ones i got were jig caught in the barrens and i only saw 2 worms in all the fillets, and they were in one fish.
    gotta keep them cool, and bled, but they are a great food fish!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I love P. cod. We fished out of Homer a couple of days ago, and outside of a couple of small cod we used for halibut bait (trading up, so to speak), we kept several nice sized ones. They are a little flakier and moister than halibut.

I saw where some early charters last year hit some places in Res bay for cod when the weather was kicking...I'd take a nice mess of cod over not fishing anyday, myself.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i actually prefer them to halibut, so much that i bought #100 in the round and filleted/vac packed them.
    IF they are not wormy! the spring cod here tend to be pretty good, the ones i got were jig caught in the barrens and i only saw 2 worms in all the fillets, and they were in one fish.
    gotta keep them cool, and bled, but they are a great food fish!
    I completely agree! Last year there was a giant school of them just south of Rugged Island. They would bite anything and numbered in the tens of thousands I am sure (if not more). Pacific cod have a very nice sweet taste when compared to halibut with a little better texture. But, fighters they aren't. They remind me of pulling in boot...... After you fillet them, they also make a very durable bait that halibut and ling cod seem to love.

I've never caught one, but have eaten them and they are an excellent tasting fish. I rank them a close second behind Halibut. I think they are very close to Burbot in taste and texture.

Yum! Yum! Yum!

I've heard that they make good halibut bait but are they legal to use as bait?

Quote Originally Posted by nbx03xlt View Post
    I've heard that they make good halibut bait but are they legal to use as bait?
    I never use the whole cod for bait as I love to eat them so much. But, just as you can use a herring for bait, I can imagine that you can use a cod as neither of them are sportfish. I prefer to fillet them out and then stick a circle hook through their mouth. Sometimes I put a little salmon belly or octopus on there too. I have (many times) felt something messing with my herring on the bottom and then to stop and I thought nothing of it as I figured it was a small bite. Moments later more of the little tugging that I just ignore normally, and then WHAMO a giant head shake and real tug. A number of times a little cod came over to inpsect the herring and got itself hooked and it became my new bait and it flailing attracted a large halibut. Other times, well it result in several minutes of fishing with no bait since the little cod stole it......

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default cod is king

as well as bait! whole is better but if your in a chicken hole small bait would yield more great eating small halibut
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Smile I will try it......

I need to try it. I usually toss them back and save some for bait.

Both P Cod and rockfish are better for deep frying than halibut. Halibut is better baked, but for fish and chips I prefer cod to buts.

That being said, cod is the absolute best halibut bait there is, bar none.

Cut it in strips and beer batter it. It flakes great and is really tasty. Beer battered cod seems to always be a hit with the kids as well, so it is a good option to have out while the adults have baked halibut or something else "icky" (as my son calls it).

Default Thats what i thought

We have been treating them like bait on the charters in Seward for so long and it is really a shame. At one point last year they were buying them for a buck a pound and I saw them on the menu at Simon and Seaforts in Anchorage and at a fancier resturant in NYC.

Maybe it is time to start keeping them as a bonus fish, instead of filleting them for bait.

We always keep a few if there`s room n the coolers. Some of my friends/family request it over rockfish and salmon.

Default Somewhere near the top of the list

My son caught a huge one out of Anchor Point a few years ago and has never forgotten it. We enjoyed that fish more than the Halibut. Good stuff. (some bones though).

they are great as bait or food. As soon as one comes over the rail I bleed it. A couple of minutes later i take of the fillets. If they are wormy they go in bait bucket, if not they go in cooler.

One of the biggest reasons they get wormy is because folks leave the guts in them all day long. Once the fish is dead, any worms in the stomach will migrate into the meat. The same thing happens with halibut, although usually to a lesser degree. I know folks don't want to get their boats bloody, but leaving the guts in fish all day long - particularly cod - is a surefire way to get worms in the meat.

Bait wise excellent, taste is so-so. About 10 years ago we put some fresh cod on our halibut hook and sent it down, within' a minute a tremendous bend in the rod happened as the fish stripped out yds and yds of line. then it just bit through our 500lb mono leader, Im guessing a big butt or shark............we'll never know.

Default Bait

How do you guys use it for bait? Do you simply put a fillet strip on the circle hook or is there something else you do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast