Thread: Kenai Dipnetting from a driftboat

Default Kenai Dipnetting from a driftboat

I have never dipped from a boat and wonder if it would be practical and safe with a 17' x 60" drift boat and 10 hp 4 stroke engine. Never having drifted this section below the bridge in this boat/motor combo, would 2 people and gear be able to make reasonable upstream progress if launching from the city dock? Would the preferred method be to anchor up or "slow troll"? Thanks Wyatt

Default no problem

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    I have never dipped from a boat and wonder if it would be practical and safe with a 17' x 60" drift boat and 10 hp 4 stroke engine. Never having drifted this section below the bridge in this boat/motor combo, would 2 people and gear be able to make reasonable upstream progress if launching from the city dock? Would the preferred method be to anchor up or "slow troll"? Thanks Wyatt
    I don't believe that using a drift boat is going to be that hard and the best times to do it is the last 2 hr's of the out going tide and the first 2 hr's of the in coming tide. The biggest problem you will have is the big waves from other boats but what better boat but a drift boat for waves.

Have fun!

I did it with 2 + me in a 16' Scanoe with a 4hp kicker, launched from the Warren Ames bridge and went back and forth dozen times. We did have to beach to get the fish out of the net when caught but was no big deal. To keep on track try and have the same size nets and shape on both sides of the boat, we had a square and hoop and I was counter steering the whole time until we switched out.
    Yesterday I ran into an Old Girlfriend and I thought I missed her...
    So I backed up and hit her again, ya know sometimes I really do miss her!!

Default Here's what I remember about using the drift boat:

The Kasilof would probably be better. We used to use our 17' Willie's in the Kasilof and did well. The problem is trying to get back upriver, you know how those "footballs" do with a motor. You'll be able to do it in the Kenai, but I think the Kasilof might be a better fit for a drift boat. Watch out for the prop, if you are holding the net with your right hand and you steer right the net will go and get caught in the prop if you are not careful and that is a mess. Be sure and bring a bag of zip ties in case that happens. You'll have to use two nets, one on each side or you won't be able to keep it straight. Tie them off the same length if you can. That's what I can remember about using the drift boat, it was fun. Good luck.

Thanks to all that replied. I think I will start with the Kasilof and maybe move to the Big K if all goes well and I can round up a few brave souls.