Thread: Kind of off topic - Motorcycle road test

Default Kind of off topic - Motorcycle road test

This is kind of off topic so I apologize if it is out of place. I just bought a 2009 KLR 650 dual sport motorcycle and can't wait to get it out on some trails in Hatchers and up north.

My question is on the DMV motorcycle road test. I already have my learners permit and have been taking it out as much as I can as I am brand new to riding bikes. I am jwanting to know what the road test for bikes includes and how hard it is? I looked online and couldn't find any specific information. I plan on taking the ABATE motorcycle class and I know that gets me my license, I just won't be able to take it until the end of May at the earliest, and don't want to wait that long.

Thanks for the help.

Wait to take the ABATE class. They will teach you everything you need to know to begin riding. Good course!

North Pole

Default Road test

First off, your bike is going to make passing the course MUCH easier. I passed it on a 2005 hopped up Victory Vegas and it was shall I say tough? You will have to do a series of S-turns, an obstacle avoidance at 15-20 MPH, a U-turn at parking lot speeds, an emergency stop at 2nd gear speed, a swerve at speed of about 15 mph. You cannot drop the bike. If you put your foot down you lose a point. Three points and you are terminated. Good luck!

Keep it shiny side up,

Palmer, AK.

Default Piece of cake

I did it on a XT350 Yamaha Enduro. Once you have put some miles on your training permit, I think it will be easy for ya!