Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: saving black bear meat?.....

Question saving black bear meat?.....

If I remember correctly when I moved to the Kenai in 1980 you could shoot 3 black bears per year and there were no meat salvage requirements. There was also a spring and fall brown bear season that started to late in the spring and to early in the fall. It seemed as though we had more moose then and a lot fewer bear problems. Now after many years and lots of bear maulings and DLP shootings we have a brown bear season if you win a draw permit. How many of you would hunt black bears more often if you were not required to salvage the meat? Last time I checked it was believed the bears ate about 1/2 the moose calves every year. There are lots more black bears then brown bears so they have to be eating more moose calves. I for one would like to see the 3 black bear per year and no meat salvage requirement again. At least for a few years to help the moose population out. I just like moose meat more then black bear meat. And if black bear meat is such a prized meal does the meat have to be salvaged in the rest of the state? Isn't the West side of Cook Inlet a same day fly and shoot area for black bears? I am really not trying to start a argument about ethics, only shooting what you eat and how much better a berry fed black bear is then other meat. I am more interested in why in some parts of the state the moose population is a priority and it does not seem to be on the Kenai.

I don't know if I am right or wrong about this subject, but I feel I am in the right. There hasn't been a brown bear hunting season on the peninsula in awhile, not sure how long exactly. Also in the last few years, the number of DLP against brown bears has increased. To me, this says that the population of bears is growing. Now, ADF&G seems worried about the bear population and cancels the bear hunting, and there explanation for the increase in DLP is people aren't being responsible with their garbage, dog food, etc. I call BS, people aren't all of the sudden being irresponsible, people didn't just recently decide to leave their garbage and dog food out, they have been doing it all along, actually if anything with the heightened awareness, people are actually probably being more responsible. The fact is, there are simply more bears out there looking for an easy meal, and that is what has caused the increase in DLP's. I feel that if they would open up the bear hunting, the DLP's would go down after a couple years, it also couldn't hurt the moose numbers either. I don't want them to open bear hunting because I hunt them, I don't by the way, I just want them to open it so there isn't a bear problem.

Hey, you gotta good point.
    With a subsistance harvest, we must salvage the meat and can toss the hide. I just keep both. Kinda works both ways....~~LOL!!~~
    Not to rub anyone, but Im of the opinion that all meat should be salvaged, because it IS excellent eating.
    On the second hand, Blacks as well as Browns eat rotting Salmon or dead Whales, ect., that often makes the meat of the Bear something the fat bald guy on the "eats channle" would chuck up on.
    Guess it depends on what you want and what you got. I know from personal sniffing that sometimes a Bears carcass is better tossed.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

~~LOL!!~~

I really ment that all the "Sweet Black Candy" meat be salvaged, when I said It "all" should be.... soooo I'll lay off the homebrew and stop confusing myself.

Its like "Heaven or Hell" meat, tasteing one way or another.

Dont you get a bigger mesurment for your hide if you hunt them in the fall by a river or such?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I think there are enough, hunter donation programs out there that some one who Honestly does not want the meat. can still hunt with out having to eat it... Food banks, churches, soup kitchens.... and in the end you feel a little good for it too.

I don't think ANY meat should be left in the field. we ground up our Griz last year too... enough fennel seed and corander... it taste like sausage...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I take game for the meat,the rest is sometimes a bonus.

I think you are right that black bears, along with brown bears, eat a lot of moose calves. However, I think as responsible stewards we should eat the black bears we harvest, not just kill them and leave the meat so that we can have more moose meat. I too, would much rather eat moose meat, but during those times when there are more bears in an area, I think that we can kill two birds with one stone. We can thin out the predator population, AND fill our freezer with good berry fed black bear. If it means we have to live on bear meat for a winter or two while we (who are also predators) give the moose a chance to recover, well that's just part of living off the land. Just my thoughts...
    bobble

Default Bear meat donation

Just FYI, Alaska Food Banks and homeless shelters are prohibited from accepting bear meat.

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akst...section210.htm

http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/...section205.htm

I'm hunting bear out of Juneau in May and learned of this when I called the Juneau Food Bank to coordinate a donation.

Spring black bear has made some of the best hamburger I have ever had. I'm getting to the point where I'd like to get a bear (or two...) every spring just for the meat!

Fishy fall bears are a different story.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default bear meat in SE

We were surprised several years ago when the spring bear meat salvage law passed for us. Let me say that those who want meat in spring are quickly filled up with plenty and alot of the salvaged meat ends up in the nearest dipsy dumpster. It only has to be salvaged 'from the field' by law till the end of May. On June 1st no salvage is required; no salvage is required in Fall ......... Once from the field you can do just about anything with it. It can't be used as commercial bait but can be used as 'personal use' bait.

Our hunt in S SE has always been a 'trophy' hunt, mostly ... but even before the law was passed about 25% of Bear taken had some meat salvaged.

So what good is the law? The Brown Shirts already have enough to do ....

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Isn't the West side of Cook Inlet a same day fly and shoot area for black bears?
    Yes it is. There is lots of bears too, just gotta get off the road some distance. Biologists did a study over there and the number of bears they saw was like 500+ in 3 days. People shoot alot of bears off the road system but they really don't get back in there due to lack of availability.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Interior bear meat...

just to put it out there... if some one up here does not want meat I will help find it a home..

I know many people that would be grateful for some fresh clean meat...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Personally, I like bear meat. I should clarify, however, that I am very selective about when/where I shoot bears. I won't shoot a bear that has been feeding on fish.
    My wife is not a huge fan of bear meat, so the last few years I have turned all of my bear meat (black and grizz) into about 50-50 hamburger (some of which also gets turned into sausage, pepperoni sticks, etc.) and stew meat. The stew meat gets browned and then canned in the pressure cooker, where it marinates in its own juices until used for either stew or taquitos. Theres nothing like a big pot of bear stew that has been simmering on the wood stove all day.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Default All edible meat should be salvaged and used

Legalizing the wanton waste of one kind of perfectly edible, protein-laden meat, in order to grown more meat of another kind...is not the responsible thing for hunters to advocate for or practice in my opinion.

When meat is edible, it should always be utilized. When there isn't enough moose to go around, but there is plenty of good bear meat, then bear is what's for dinner. When bear meat is not edible, that is another story, but here in the interior for example I have not yet taken a bear that didn't provide great, good tasting meals to raise a family on.

Inre the Kenai, we just shifted the brown bear seasons somewhat to assure the permit hunt could take place in spring regardless of DLPs from the previous year. That is my understanding. Inre the moose on the Kenai there are several other issues besides predation, like habitat, forage, and wildfire suppression. Until we get a solid density estimate of brown bear numbers we are just not sure how many bears we can sustainably take on the Kenai. We've been trying to get that density estimate but it is gonna cost several million bucks and so far the funding isn't there. If we were able to do more density estimates it's highly likely we'd have more hunting opportunities. As it now stands we are erring on the side of caution in what is the havestable surplus, but again we just changed the regs and I'll have to ask but I think we increased the harvest numbers too.

Increase of DLPs is not directly attributable to more bears. A lot of it is more people in bear areas. The human population on the Kenai has grown dramatically and humans tend to do things that can draw bears into areas. Just saying you have to also look at that aspect.

Default You have to try it at least

I married a City girl from Seattle, Washington and brought her home with me to AK. Cooking and eating bear meat was the last thing in the world she expected to enjoy. Now, we really like it. In fact, I prefer bear in stew, chili and roast over venison (blacktail). It's that good. In fact I went to the freezer looking for another bear roast the other night. I sifted past the venison backstrap, shrimp, halibut and salmon looking for it-all gone.

You owe it to yourself (not to mention the bear) to at least try to salvage it for food use-as long as it's a nice spring bear, I don't think you'll regret it.

When I got a bear a few years back I salvaged 100% of the meat. The wife tried it a number of ways, but it always caused her to have the Hersey squirts. There are organizations in Anchorage (and around the country) where you can donate any game to the needy. When I donated our meat they were almost in tears with gratitude both for the meat and the clean/usable way I left it.

If you ever harvest an animal and find for whatever reason you can not use the meat, please remember that you can always donate it. Don't every leave it behind IMHO...some one will appreciate your act of kindness.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Consider this

let my clarify to begin with that i am in favor of salvaging meat in most circumstances.................

1. for food is not the only reason to kill an animal

2. while the increase in DLP bears can partially be attributable to increase of human activity on the KP, so can the fact that those bears have not been hunted (predated) by humans for a while. thus, they have increased in numbers, and they know less fear of humans b/c many do not associate humans with danger. they are at the top of the food chain w/o human predation on them. that cannot continue unchecked for obvious reasons.

3. i spoke with a high ranking F & W dept member about 6 mon to a yr ago....this gentleman was, at one time, the head honcho of the KP for certain fishing management. he related to me that one of the last studies done on the KP for moose had 100 collared moose calves invovled. a single one (yes 1 ) survived the first year. if true, that is totally unacceptable. certainly bears were not the only reason for mortality. they did, however, contribute largely to this management problem. i do not care if you like bear meat or not, or if you like moose meat or not.....but allowing that kind of predation and massive predator/prey swings is not healthy and rational wildlife management in the modern, populated world. not saying that i have all the answers, just that the current down cycle in moose numbers on the KP and alaska in general cannot be ignored.

Question confused...

If black bear meat has to be salvaged on the Kenai in the spring why does it not have to be salvaged in the spring in the rest of Alaska?

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    If black bear meat has to be salvaged on the Kenai in the spring why does it not have to be salvaged in the spring in the rest of Alaska?
    sure as heck does up here...let me go look where NOT...

meet on face book here

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/regul.../pdfs/bear.pdf

Pretty much covers it all in the salvage requirements

1-7 / 11-17 and 20 hide skull and meat Jan 1 /may 31

9-10 /18-19 except 19D and 21-26 MEAT must be salvaged Jan 1-may 31 after June 1 hide OR meat must be salvaged...

bears taken Jan/may 31 may not be used for pet food or bait. must not be much black bear o Kodiak...unit 8 is the ONLY one with meat salvage requirements..

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast