Thread: The new .375 Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan

Default The new .375 Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan

Well guys for a graduation present, I'm thinking about getting that new Ruger .375. I have done lots of looking at this gun, and done lots of reading and it looks like a great set up. Is there any downside, or reason NOT to get this gun?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

The only problem I see it is you missed my graduation YEARS ago. But better late than never. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Is there any downside, or reason NOT to get this gun?
    It depends on you... ammo costs are pretty high as Hornady is the only source of factory ammo at the moment. If you don't reload thats a factor and at $3.50 a shot it is something to consider.

Recoil is stout but managable. Get a scope with lots of eye relief and practice good technique.

I would get the black finish if I did it again. The matte stainless is hard to match a scope to and it shows every bit of wear you put on it. I positively hate the new matte stainless from Ruger.

Other than being spendy to feed, mine shot great. Very handy rifle with the 20" tube.

I have a black Alaskan, I love it! There are better rifles out there that will cost quite a bit of money but mine shoots as good as any 375.

Thanks for all the info. We hardly ever buy ammo except to target shoot, so we do lots of reloading. It looks like a B.A weapon
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Great minds must think alike because I just brought home a new Alaskan 375 Ruger as well. After I get rid of this clumbsy Hogue stock I'll take it out and see what it can do. havent decided which bullet I am going to concentrate on,either the 270gr TSX or 260gr Accubond. Either one will do the job I'm sure so we'll just have to see which one it likes.
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

I have a 3 week old 375 Ruger Alaskan, my first big rifle, not counting my Dad's 8mm Mauser German WWII rifle I shot as a kid. I'm moving to Anchorage from Las Vegas this winter, and hope to get some use out of it over the next few years. The cartridges are expensive, but I've never paid more than $2.50 per shell. I do plan on getting some reloading gear too, since I figure that will be cheaper in the long run, and I like to shoot.

Anyway, I love the rifle, I put a Nikon Monarch (I think, I'd have to check the box!) 3-9X40 scope with the BDC, which does a fine job of compensating for the drop in my initial shots.

I'm intrigued by the idea of changing the stock though. I've hunted around a bit on the internet looking for more info but have so far been unsuccessful in finding a stock for this gun. Any helpful websites out there you guys could point me to?

Anyway, I can't see a reason NOT to get this gun. I got mine for a song when Sportsmans Warehouse went out of business (same with the scope), so it was extra incentive to get this gun. The way I figured, with guns you generally can hunt anything 'smaller' than what is capable of your caliber, but start to run risks when your gun is too small for the game your hunting - so go big! If you can take down a Cape Buffalo, you should be able to take down a whitetail, and anything in between, as long as you're a good shot.

I'm just sayin...

Any stock for a Model 77 Mark II Long action will fit. You may have to open up the barrel channel with sandpaper but it will fit. I have a Bell & Carlson stock on mine for now.
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by 375rugerALASKAN View Post
    I have a 3 week old 375 Ruger Alaskan, my first big rifle, not counting my Dad's 8mm Mauser German WWII rifle I shot as a kid. I'm moving to Anchorage from Las Vegas this winter, and hope to get some use out of it over the next few years. The cartridges are expensive, but I've never paid more than $2.50 per shell. I do plan on getting some reloading gear too, since I figure that will be cheaper in the long run, and I like to shoot.

Anyway, I love the rifle, I put a Nikon Monarch (I think, I'd have to check the box!) 3-9X40 scope with the BDC, which does a fine job of compensating for the drop in my initial shots.

I'm intrigued by the idea of changing the stock though. I've hunted around a bit on the internet looking for more info but have so far been unsuccessful in finding a stock for this gun. Any helpful websites out there you guys could point me to?

Anyway, I can't see a reason NOT to get this gun. I got mine for a song when Sportsmans Warehouse went out of business (same with the scope), so it was extra incentive to get this gun. The way I figured, with guns you generally can hunt anything 'smaller' than what is capable of your caliber, but start to run risks when your gun is too small for the game your hunting - so go big! If you can take down a Cape Buffalo, you should be able to take down a whitetail, and anything in between, as long as you're a good shot.

I'm just sayin...
    McMillan will build you a glass stock that will be a drop in fit for this rifle. I have one on order for mine as we speak. Lead time is about 5-6 months for the stock and plan on spending just under $500 for it.
    Tennessee

This is mine sitting in a McMillan stock:

I can't wait to take a bear with it this year.

Matt,

That is one sweet looking setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Matt,

That is one sweet looking setup.
    That is so Bad *****. You are an inspiration. Is that stock glass?
    Last edited by pike_palace; 04-12-2009 at 22:26. Reason: question

Yeah, fiberglass construction. The stock is built like a tank. Solid as a rock. And it's lighter than the factory Hogue stock that came on the rifle. And McMillan offers just about any custom option that you want in a stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Yeah, fiberglass construction. The stock is built like a tank. Solid as a rock. And it's lighter than the factory Hogue stock that came on the rifle. And McMillan offers just about any custom option that you want in a stock.
    That's a great looking stock and I'm sure it's sturdier than the original hollowed out plastic Houge. It's hard to imagine that it could be lighter.

Does that McMillan have pillar blocks or any kind of bedding?

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    That's a great looking stock and I'm sure it's sturdier than the original hollowed out plastic Houge. It's hard to imagine that it could be lighter.

Does that McMillan have pillar blocks or any kind of bedding?
    You can order them with pillars and they can also bed your stock if they have your barreled action on hand. However, mucho cheaper to bed the rifle yourself. Pretty easy to do. Brownells will set you up with what you need.

I also have a couple of McMillan Edge stocks that weigh in the 22oz-24oz range, so they got the 'light' thing down.

I was at the Range a few days ago with a buddy who had one new in the box. He shot under and inch at 50 yards with iron sights. He did not have the same luck at 100 yards, mostly because the iron sights took-up most of the target. Still, minute of moose. It was a good feeling gun. I liked the short barrel. The recoil was a BIG push, unlike the slap with a 2x4 my 300 RUM gives you. He hated the RUM actually and shot a box of Hornady 270 grain pointy bullets happily. It looks like the 375 Ruger will be a big hit here in AK anyway. It has pretty good ballistics and feeds much nicer than the 375 H&H. As stated earlier, the ammo will be hard to get. There is reloading equipment available here in Anch. I saw dies and bullets at GNG. Brass is available online at Cabelas I think. Best of luck with the primers and powders.

I have the African model. It is easily one of the two best shooting guns I own. I had the factory walnut stock glass bedded and an extra crossbolt installed in the grip. With my reloads it constantly shoots 1/2-3/4" 5 shot groups.

I have tried the 260 Accubonds, 235 TSX, and the 270 TSX. I have a stout load for each that all produce groups well under an inch.

I now prefer the Barnes TSX after seeing an Accubond shatter after hitting bone in the moose I shot last year.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentC View Post
    I have the African model. It is easily one of the two best shooting guns I own. I had the factory walnut stock glass bedded and an extra crossbolt installed in the grip. With my reloads it constantly shoots 1/2-3/4" 5 shot groups.

I have tried the 260 Accubonds, 235 TSX, and the 270 TSX. I have a stout load for each that all produce groups well under an inch.

I now prefer the Barnes TSX after seeing an Accubond shatter after hitting bone in the moose I shot last year.
    I too have good results with the Accubond and TSX loads. Unfortunately I didn't have any luck last September, I got skunked so no holes in Moose to talk about.

I did pull my Houge stock off and weighed it last night just for grins. It weighed 33 ounces, I was quite surprised that it's heavier than the claim about the Fiberglass stock below.