Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This year's reg changes

Default This year's reg changes

Thought everyone would like to see a summary of the regulation changes by BOG this year:

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...hanges0910.pdf

enjoy.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Wow get a tier 1 caribou tag in 13 and ONLY hunt in thirteen... including moose...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Wow get a tier 1 caribou tag in 13 and ONLY hunt in thirteen... including moose...
    Not just the hunter with the permit, but their entire family is prohibited from hunting moose or caribou in any other unit for the entire regulatory year. Added to that, each family can only get one permit every three years, but must keep applying in the years that they are ineligible so that their score (years applied in a row) doesn't reset to zero. What a convoluted system. I would be highly surprised if this one stands as designed.

so if I'm reading this right, you have to leave the caribou antlers there, you can't bring them out?

Quote Originally Posted by summitx View Post
    so if I'm reading this right, you have to leave the caribou antlers there, you can't bring them out?
    Yeah thats how I read it. One less thing to pack out though. Take your pics at the site and just haul the meat out.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by summitx View Post

why do i feel this will cause a greater issue then taking the heart out last year?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    why do i feel this will cause a greater issue then taking the heart out last year?
    HAHA probably true vince. I guess those antlers are tastier than I was led to believe.

Default deleterious wildlife

Does that mean cats and dogs?

I bet there is a decent chance bonus points are too expensive to implement. Lets not raise those license fees juuust yet.

According to one gentleman representing Ahtna, antlers are quite tasty when cooked over a fire. No joke.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    I bet there is a decent chance bonus points are too expensive to implement. Lets not raise those license fees juuust yet.

According to one gentleman representing Ahtna, antlers are quite tasty when cooked over a fire. No joke.
    BBQ antlers? I find that hard to choke!

Pa, Palm is not kidding the guy actually testfed to that at the BOG hearing....

meet on face book here

Well i will have a antler cook out too all that would like to indulge. How do you like them cooked?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

Not just the hunter with the permit, but their entire family is prohibited from hunting moose or caribou in any other unit for the entire regulatory year.

What a convoluted system.
    Yep,
    Now they are pitting family members against one another. This could well end up tragically.

I agree with your assessment.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default ground antler

Dont they know, antlers can be ground into a fine powder and used to assist erections, cant believe i have to leave them in the field.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Dont they know, antlers can be ground into a fine powder and used to assist erections, cant believe i have to leave them in the field.

Terry
    Guess you'll have to take the wife hunting with you.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Default 2009 ADF&G New Regs and on the Teir II Hunt

Thought everyone that may have not yet read the new changes that they are coming out with on hunting and trapping across the state. They have gone to a new system on the drawing for the Teir II caribou hunt, and the part I'm not really enjoying out of it is that you have to cut the antlers off the skull plate or split the skull plate in two and leave them at the kill site, that is if I'm reading it right. And also if you or your household draws a caribou tag but not a moose tag can you still hunt moose elsewhere just not caribou in the state or does that count towards both? If anyone else has some insight I'd love to hear it.

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...hanges0910.pdf

Thanks,

Mike they way i read it was if you or a family memeber drew a bou tag.. you had to hunt moose in unit 13. no one in the family can hunt out side of 13.yet only one permit per household will be issued.

meet on face book here

Unit 13 caribou regs just keep getting better and better, at this point they either just need to give the entire heard to Ahtna or put a moratorium on them for a few years. What is the reasoning behind limiting an entire family to only hunting in Unit 13? Not like one caribou will feed a family for a winter. How many unit 13 bulls have made B&C? If the state wants to cut down on trophy hunters just trying to make the book or books then stick to enforcing the splitting of the skull plates.

the way I read it, theres going to be some seriously hardcore hunters if your going for caribou. .. cause if you apply and get a permit (weather or not you get a caribou) your SOL for the next three years, But you need to apply every year just to have a chance at it on year 4.

I don't see the likeliness of "common folk" here (unit 13) getting a permit. and 1 caribou might feed my family for ..uhh ..maybe a week..lol .. maybe I'll just go kill more moose to suppliment.. Flame on..lol

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

The moose regs are S/F 50" or 4 BT. at least they could have lowered it to 3 brow tines. As much as I love hunting Nelchina Caribou you won't see me till they change the regs.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast