Thread: Moose

Default Moose

How's moose hair for tying?

Any expamles (if any) of what you've tied with moose?

Being rather dense and stiff, moose hair tends to have a limited number of uses. It will not flare to any great extent and is pretty crappy for most applications, but as with anything it does have its pro's. If you're looking for tails and antennae for example it is hard to beat. Plus, a little creativity with a patch of moose mane and some very good wound bodies can be achieved. There are two kinds of moose commonly used:

Moose body - a straight, dense, stiff and very durable hair that makes a nice tail material.
    Moose mane - a very long (up to 8") wavy hair that is very flexible and durable. It has a nice black and white coloration that is very attractive when wound as a body.

If you have opertunity to get some then do. I found it works fine for most things. You may have trouble spinning with it, but other then that it works fine.

Thanks guys. I was looking at a road kill a few days back and thought there had to be something I could tie up with it.

I have yet to try spinning hair, so wasn't sure if moose was to course or even usable.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default humpies are a great option

I used to use moose hair all the time for tying mosquito bodies. the white hair and the black hair, wound side by side, was ideal. Tie on some hackle wings and wind hackle at the front, and you'll catch most anything feeding on skeeters.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default Just looking at one a few days ago...

Planning ties for a spring float:

Moose mane:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...w/3298fotw.php

jmg's skeeter suggestions sounds good too. Grayling seem to love mosquito patterns.

I use moose for tails on most of my dry flies, for mouse patterns, humpy backs, nymph wing cases, caddis wings, lots of stuff, I like it in place of deer hair for just about everything except spinning tight heads/bodies, I like it for mice because the body doesn't have to be super tight and moose hair is much more bulky making the mice faster ties.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I use moose for tails on most of my dry flies, for mouse patterns, humpy backs, nymph wing cases, caddis wings, lots of stuff, I like it in place of deer hair for just about everything except spinning tight heads/bodies, I like it for mice because the body doesn't have to be super tight and moose hair is much more bulky making the mice faster ties.
    Mice was kinda what I had in mind.

Thanks.

I light colored and one dark moose mane hairs wound around the hook make perfect misquito bodies. The hair is hollow so it is perfect from dries.