Thread: Average Shot Distance

Default Average Shot Distance

I will be moving to alaska soon, I have a 30-30 win 94 and a 06 Remington 700, I was just wondering what your average shot was on Moose and Caribou, it is a great deer gun but do you guys think the 30-30 is capabable close range moose gun with 170Gr. Flat Nose Partitions?

30-30 and 30-06 are both killers of Many many caribou and Moose.
    Most excellent Alaska worthy rifles as well.
    Put that 30-30 bullet where its gonna do the most damage and I wouldnt hesitate to shoot 150 yards with it. 250 with the '06 if you have alredy sized 'em up and decided on 'em.
    Caribou can put some distance between you and them,they like open country with lots of open space..... the '06 will serve you well.
    The Moose hang in the scub, willows and trees,river banks, lakes, ect. your 30-30 would do fine about there.
    Take out the one you can hit best with, and keep practicing untill you can use both very well.....
    You cant have too many rifles anyway....22lr and a 12gauge would serve you well ,too.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I would use the 06 for everything. A 165 or 180 grain load that is accurate in that rifle. The caribou I have taken have been anywhere from 40 to 450 yds. The 450 yd shot was a serious misjudgement of distance. I only realized my misjudgement when walking to the caribou and it was 160 steps .

I have never taken a moose at more than 250 yds. Most of the places I can shoot that far have antler restrictions and I like to be sure so I get close. The areas I hunt that don't have antler restrictions rarely have a openings big enough for longer shots.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

You should be fine with the guns you have. The 30-30 is a fine moose gun. When I was a kid, my dad's main hunting partner was an old guy who had killed moose for somewhere around 50 years with nothing but a 30-30. Its fine for black bears, too.
    For many years, the only hunting rifles I owned were an '06 and a 30-30. I never felt limited by them.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Cousin has gotten all of his moose with a 30-30 winchester trapper.
    Lots of caribou also.
    As others have said the 06 is a do all round.

Old fellas have taken plenty of mooose with 32-20 around here.
    Their guns have been handed down though.

capable pair of guns/caliber you have there. there are those here who might disagree, but many more who wouldn't. stranger gave good advice when he mentioned the .22lr and shotgun which would add some versatility. the only time you'll second guess yourself if you stick with those calibers is the first time you have a close encounter with a brownie/grizz. then you'll promptly go to the local gun shop, and purchase the largest over-the-shoulder bazooka they can locate...ha those guns will treat you fine. know your ballistics and capabilities, and enjoy the last great place.

An accurate 06 with a premium 180 bullet is where hunting firearms for an all round Alaska rifle prob starts. If you are going to specifically poke a coastal brownie there are much better choices but the ole 06 will get 'er done with a carefully selected and properly placed shot. Good luck and good hunting.

Good guns when hunted with-in their limits and there is nothing wrong with sneeking in for a closer shot.
    jkb wouldn't a 160 steps be more like 450 feet insted of yards?

With the math I used there I should become a bow hunter. I'm a lot closer than I think.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Smile 375h&h

I love my 30-30 and my 30-06, Both are great cartridges. I like using a 375 for Moose because I have plenty enough energy for long shot (350 yards) using 220gr Barnes TSX. If I should run into a brown bear I know I have enough power to stop him or her imminently. 375 works for me but you can use you 06 to take everything in Alaska shot placement is key.

PS I wouldn’t use a 375 for caribou, I use my 270 win for that using the 150gr TSX bullet.

Default Throw the 30-30 away!

Quote Originally Posted by onehook View Post
    I will be moving to alaska soon, I have a 30-30 win 94 and a 06 Remington 700, I was just wondering what your average shot was on Moose and Caribou, it is a great deer gun but do you guys think the 30-30 is capabable close range moose gun with 170Gr. Flat Nose Partitions?
    I had a friend come up from Colorado a few years back with a 30-30 and there was no way to make him understand that the 30-30 was of little use up here. We came up on a nice group of caribou at a reasonable range of 180 yards and I handed him my 7mm. Dead bou. I have taken a few moose also and never under 80 yards. A 30-30 is a saddle rifle used in the movies!

Your .06 is fine!

Welcome to Alaska man!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotaebue, AK
    www.northwestalaska.com

Talking Keep the 30-30!

Here's why I like my 30-30. I hunt in down in SE and it has always done a great job of dropping deer and because it's a short rifle, it's easy to use in thick brush. Its a good caliber for taking moose when you're up close in the willows. Are there other better rifles out there? Sure. Should you totally scrap the idea? I would say no. Of course, I don't have the luxury of being able to go out and buy the latest shoulder howitzer out there either so I make do with what I've got.

Default Average distance

Less than 60 yards. But used a bow instead of a gun. I would guess it all depends on your hunting ability. The farthest moose was 60 yards with a 300 grain Sierra from a .44 magnum S&W 629.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

if i had to choose 4 guns out of my gun collection, it would my .22 rifle, my 30-30 winchester 94, the 30-06 mauser custom built for me by my father, and my 300 win mag....and not in that order....anything 30 caliber will do just fine here with a 150 grain bullet or above. ive killed plenty of moose and black bears with the 30-30, gotta love it in the brush you cant beat em for open sight accuracy at long range...im pretty deadly with mine up to 350 yards and thats no exaggeration

Been hunting to Kodiak for blacktail 4 times in the last 7 years. Average shot was around 100 yds, Farthest was 189yds and shortest was 20 yds. You never know when you'll come up on an animal, hunt slow. Took me a long time of blowing stalks and my dad preaching for me to get that in my head. Those are good calibers, I would suggest looking at a ruger due to the fact that remington and newer winchester rifles have the tendency to build up ice in the trigger/ action causing the triggers to freeze in the morning. The older winchesters did not do this. Im sure a lot of people have problems with this. Helps to keep them outside the whole time hunting.

Also if you have seen those bogus shows on the outdoor channel when they try to take a moose 300+ yds away with the wind blowing, don't beileve the hype. Most moose i've seen shot or heard of were all under 100 yds. Just depends on where you hunt and what time of the season.

Happy hunting