Thread: tikka t3 trouble

Default tikka t3 trouble

a friend pulled his tikka out of the safe last week and couldnt open the bolt, I brought it home thinking it would be a quick fix.... it almost looked like the safety was half on half off, so i removed the complete trigger/safety assembly that made no difference so i forced the bolt open by hand, the gun looked clean so i applied some oil put it all back together and opening the bolt is still stiff, the worst however is the bolt doesnt seem to be camming over all the way. I dont know how to disassemble the bolt so am not sure what to try next. I have 2 of these guns myself and have had no problems. any ideas?? thanks

Yukon, there are bolt disassembly directions in the owners manual. I don't have it with me but if you can't get a copy of the manual, I will post step by step directions tonight for you.

Default thanks

i dont have any manuals so the step by step directions would help. i can see the problem but have no idea what the cause is... on the underside of the bolt is a hole that the saftey goes up into in the safe mode, the bolt is not camming over far enough for that hole to line up with the saftey , thats why the safety looks like its not right. funny thing is i took my bolt out of my 338 fed tikka and it worked flawlessly in his gun but his wont work in mine, so it has to be the bolt??

Here you go Yukon,

1. Ensure the rifle is not loaded and remove the bolt from the rifle
    2. Remove the bolt shroud by turning it clockwise until it stops and pulling it away from the bolt.
    3. Insert the tip of a screwdriver (approx 3 mm wide) into the gap betweenthe cocking piece and the bolt handle retainer bushing. IMPORTANT! Do not remove the screwdriver tip from this location until you are ready to reassemble the bolt shroud.
    4. Disengage the firing pin assembly by turning the screwdriver counterclockwise. Push the firing pin assembly forward until the locking cam of the handle retainer bushing touches the bolt's rear surface.
    5. Release the bolt handle from the bolt body. If the bolt handle feels stiff and does not immediately pull out, you can tap it with a plastic mallet at the receiver end.
    6. Remove the firing pin assembly from the bolt.

Reassembly:
    1. Push the firing pin assy. into place. Make sure that the bolt handle retainer bushing is in the correct positionh, so that you can ease the bolt handle back into place withoug obstruction.
    2. Reassemble the bolt handle to the bolt body.
    3. Re-engage the firing pin assembly by turning the screwdriver clockwise as far as it will go. Make sure that the terainer bushing locks the handle.
    4. Replace the bolt shroud by turning it counterclockwise until the cocking piece cam stops it in the notch before the cocking slope.

Hope it helps

C.C.

Default thanks

Moses thanks a bunch I printed that off and it worked like a dream! Then I found the problem, some idiot (at the store where the gun was bought!) put the wrong screw in the front hole! The lugs were only barely locking up, hence the saftey was only partly working! plus they used a hardening locktite and way to much of it so I couldnt get all the screws out! I did get the bad one out and filed it down so all is well now but it could have been a disaster!

No problem Yukon. Glad you got it figured out.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

yukon254:

SOOOO, you were right the first time, when you thought "it would be a quick fix".

And, wrong later, when you said, "it has to be the bolt??".

I'm glad you got it figgered out. I was. It was buggin me.

BTW, I've had that problem myself. (A stock screw binding the bolt) I even had one binding the hammer on my side-lock Muzzle-Loader, so you don't have all the luck.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default After market scope mounts can cause this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    a friend pulled his tikka out of the safe last week and couldnt open the bolt, I brought it home thinking it would be a quick fix.... it almost looked like the safety was half on half off, so i removed the complete trigger/safety assembly that made no difference so i forced the bolt open by hand, the gun looked clean so i applied some oil put it all back together and opening the bolt is still stiff, the worst however is the bolt doesnt seem to be camming over all the way. I dont know how to disassemble the bolt so am not sure what to try next. I have 2 of these guns myself and have had no problems. any ideas?? thanks

I had a similar issue on a new Tikka T3 .243. The bolt would open fine but it would not cam all the way over for the safety to engage. It worked fine when I bought it but not now and I have only owned it 2 weeks. I thought back to what might have changed. I had a Leupold VX-3 scope put on it last week and went ahead and bought after market scope mounts (instead of using the Tikka mounts that came with it). The guy at the sporting goods store obviously had no clue how install a scope. I pulled the magazine and the bolt and looked up through the breech under bright light. To my surprise, one of the scope mount screws (the front one) was too long and was hanging down and blocking the bolt. I removed it, swapped it with a shorter screw on the other mount, and now it works fine. It got me to thinking that your buddy's rifle may have the same issue and the scope may have been mounted while the bolt was closed which would account for the bolt not opening. Try removing the scope mount screws and see if that works. I hope that helps!

Default base screws!

Yes I did get this gun fixed, and yes it was the scope base screw (front one) turns out my buddy had mounted the scope himself.

Yukon, depending on what rings you are using I have had a similar problem. I know some Leupold rings have different length screws for some of the holes. On my rifle they mixed them up and the short screws were put in where it called for long ones so they didn't engage enough threads, eventually they stripped out and caused my groups to go to heck ultimately I had to run a tap through it and install longer screws. Just a warning, we know he put the long screws in the short holes so you may have trouble down the road with the short ones in the "long" holes.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    Moses thanks a bunch I printed that off and it worked like a dream! Then I found the problem, some idiot (at the store where the gun was bought!) put the wrong screw in the front hole! The lugs were only barely locking up, hence the saftey was only partly working! plus they used a hardening locktite and way to much of it so I couldnt get all the screws out! I did get the bad one out and filed it down so all is well now but it could have been a disaster!
    hate to suggest this... but loctite needs HEAT to break it... should the need arise again... perhaps a hot solder iron to the head will loosen it
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here