Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Univ of Alaska Fly Fishing Class

  1. #1

    Default Univ of Alaska Fly Fishing Class

    The University of Alaska Anchorage offers a one credit titled Basic Fly Fishing. There are two session offered over the summer. The first starts May 19th. There are two classroom sessions, one casting session in the large gym, one casting session at the indoor pool and one full day of fishing with instructors. The cost for one credit at UAA is $134, making this the best value in fly fishing instruction in Alaska. Also, who else offers casting instruction indoors for two nights? There may be some small registration costs. Both instructors are certified with the Federation of Fly Fishers.

    For more information go directly to UAA on-line www.uaa.alaska.edu or contact Cathy, the program manager at ancmd@uaa.alaska.edu or call her at 786-4085.

    President Obama at his speech in front of the joint session of Congress encouraged all Americans to take a college class and make the country better.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Fisher View Post
    The University of Alaska Anchorage offers a one credit titled Basic Fly Fishing. There are two session offered over the summer. The first starts May 19th. There are two classroom sessions, one casting session in the large gym, one casting session at the indoor pool and one full day of fishing with instructors. The cost for one credit at UAA is $134, making this the best value in fly fishing instruction in Alaska. Also, who else offers casting instruction indoors for two nights? There may be some small registration costs. Both instructors are certified with the Federation of Fly Fishers.

    For more information go directly to UAA on-line www.uaa.alaska.edu or contact Cathy, the program manager at ancmd@uaa.alaska.edu or call her at 786-4085.

    President Obama at his speech in front of the joint session of Congress encouraged all Americans to take a college class and make the country better.
    y

    This class brought to you by.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spam-Can.jpg  

  3. #3

    Default fly fishing course

    The class would be good to remedy a tailing loop too, probably the most common casting error. There is good instruction out there, positive and supporting for the person who really wants to enjoy the sport. Please share ideas on class offerings to the audience, I'm sure we all will appreciate better information on what's available that you know of. Tailing Loop, don't keep the great stuff to yourself, tell us please what else there is... I'll be the first student!

  4. #4

    Exclamation Economic education

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Fisher View Post
    The class would be good to remedy a tailing loop too, probably the most common casting error. There is good instruction out there, positive and supporting for the person who really wants to enjoy the sport. Please share ideas on class offerings to the audience, I'm sure we all will appreciate better information on what's available that you know of. Tailing Loop, don't keep the great stuff to yourself, tell us please what else there is... I'll be the first student!
    I think after throwing the perfect tailing loop for 35 years, I can say without challenge that I'm well beyond help at this point, maybe a full blown intervention.

    I would love to have you as one of my students, but we don't provide an indoor casting range, or is it a gym, then a pool. I believe in real life fishing situations like wind, rain, moving water and those inconvenient things like wading in swift water. I guess I need further class details, like instructor to student ratio ,do you provide fishing equipment, rods, reels, waders and transportation. If not, can you provide a link to Cabela's, I hear their a wealth of information on fly fishing the state of Alaska.

    I'll call around and see if perhaps the local shop owners in town are offering any classes. You never know when you might need some good information,
    or can the students contact you after class.

    Classes in Anchorage http://www.akflyshop.com/reports/Fly...ool%202009.pdf
    Last edited by Tailingloop; 04-11-2009 at 00:19. Reason: Reason for Editing I'll take a shot..... to edit

  5. #5

    Default

    You might try out the Alaska Fly Fishers Spring Seminar they are starting in a couple weeks. They have been putting this on for several years and have tought many, many perople how to not only cast but all the in's and out's for fly fishing in South Central Alaska. It's a lot of fun. I have participated in in more then once and have had a blast each time, learning more each time.
    Last edited by Alaskan Fly Guy; 04-11-2009 at 19:32. Reason: Spelling challenged

  6. #6

    Default class offerings

    You are absolutely correct. Anyone should check the credentials of instructors. How many decades they themselves have not only been fly fishing, but also instructing. What certifications they hold from what authorities. What college degrees in teaching does the person hold? Do they hold a Masters Degrees, or just a Bachelors Degree? Are they a professional educator, or simply someone who has taken their hobby a bit too seiously?

    Some people, myself included, learn well in a controlled environment before having to deal with heavy current, wind, rain, bugs, etc. When I first leaned to drive I didn't start downtown and on the highway. They started me out slowly. I don't think combat pilots learn to fly at first by getting shot at. You're probably right though.

    I wish you the best, and another 35 years of wonderful fly fishing and of helping people into the art of fly fishing. Post any and all schools and let people decide.

  7. #7

    Default Alaska Fly Fishers

    You know, Fly Guy is absolutely right. They've been doing this for years, have 100's of years experience out there teaching, and the price, I think, is FREE. Can't beat that. Make a lot of friends too. Thanks. That is a GREAT place to learn and the price is right!

    Great input.

  8. #8

    Exclamation Public relations

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Fisher View Post
    You are absolutely correct. Anyone should check the credentials of instructors. How many decades they themselves have not only been fly fishing, but also instructing. What certifications they hold from what authorities. Are there authorities, I should be licensed through to continue to teach, educate or share information with. What college degrees in teaching does the person hold? Do they hold a Masters Degrees, or just a Bachelors Degree? Just a simple B.A. in criminal justice. I enjoy catching suspects, then releasing them on their own recognizance. Are they a professional educator, or simply someone who has taken their hobby a bit too seriously? I never take the sport of flyfishing to serious and to prescribe to the idea that it takes a Master's degree, to teach a flyfishing course is nothing short of laughable.


    Some people, myself included, learn well in a controlled environment before having to deal with heavy current, wind, rain, bugs, etc. Nothing quite like shock and awh and having students, not continue in the sport when they find out it's not tennis. When I first leaned (learned) to drive I didn't start downtown and on the highway. They started me out slowly. Did you address the question of instructor to student ratio. I don't think combat pilots learn to fly at first by getting shot at. I would agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Fisher View Post
    You're probably right though.

    I wish you the best, and another 35 years of wonderful fly fishing and of helping people into the art of fly fishing. Post any and all schools and let people decide.
    In all sincerity, I wish you the best as well. The sport of flyfishing is both an individual endeavor and at times a team effort. I put the responsibility of learning in the hands of the individual and that the individual will share his or her passion. Passion for anything, whether for personal achievement or acceptance among piers, is what drives one to succeed.

    How much for the Master's class. Just Kidd'n

  9. #9
    Member garnede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    soon to be back in Alaska
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    You might try out the Alaska Fly Fishers Spring Seminar they are starting in a couple weeks. They have been putting this on for several years and have tought many, many perople how to not only cast but all the in's and out's for fly fishing in South Central Alaska. It's a lot of fun. I have participated in in more then once and have had a blast each time, learning more each time.
    Any information on when and where the class is offered?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

    http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •