Thread: Primers in checked baggage on Alaska Air?

Default Primers in checked baggage on Alaska Air?

Just have a question to anyone with any experience on checking in primers in factory boxes on Alaska Air (or any other air company).

I found on the TSA site (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#9) that powder (black or smokeless) is NO-NO as well as percussion caps for the black powder guns. They don't mention primers though in the restrictions list. There is "EXPLOSIVES" section there, and "blasting caps" are mentioned as prohibited item, but my understanding this is hardly primers for ammo.

The same story with Alaska Air site (http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/hel...kedBaggage.asp). It mentions restrictions on Explosives (Fireworks, gunpowder, signal flares, sparklers, or other explosives) in pretty broad terms (other explosives, whatever it is). On the other hand, ammo in not so restricted amounts is permitted in the checked in luggage if packing is safe. Apparently, this is a gray zone.

So, any advice or experience to share?

Obviously, my reason asking this is to explore any reasonably priced options to get some primers from a trip to the Low 48. Perhaps, there is other way to ship it beyond forwarding, please advise on that as well.

Thank you,
    SERGEIMA

Default Primers

Quote Originally Posted by sergeima View Post
    Just have a question to anyone with any experience on checking in primers in factory boxes on Alaska Air (or any other air company).

I found on the TSA site (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#9) that powder (black or smokeless) is NO-NO as well as percussion caps for the black powder guns. They don't mention primers though in the restrictions list. There is "EXPLOSIVES" section there, and "blasting caps" are mentioned as prohibited item, but my understanding this is hardly primers for ammo.

The same story with Alaska Air site (http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/hel...kedBaggage.asp). It mentions restrictions on Explosives (Fireworks, gunpowder, signal flares, sparklers, or other explosives) in pretty broad terms (other explosives, whatever it is). On the other hand, ammo in not so restricted amounts is permitted in the checked in luggage if packing is safe. Apparently, this is a gray zone.

So, any advice or experience to share?

Obviously, my reason asking this is to explore any reasonably priced options to get some primers from a trip to the Low 48. Perhaps, there is other way to ship it beyond forwarding, please advise on that as well.

Thank you,
    SERGEIMA
    Primers like powder are considered HAZ-Mat. You can't ship primers or powder by air frieght, truck or barge only. I assume you can't check them either. BUT you can check ammo up to 10-11 pounds in a impact resistant box which has seperate compartments for each round.

For a definative answer call the airline on which you intend to fly and ask someone who knows about checking specific items like guns and ammo.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Primers are the same hazmat class as percussion caps so I don't think it's gonna work but call just the same.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    For a definative answer call the airline on which you intend to fly and ask someone who knows about checking specific items like guns and ammo.
    Save your call, Primers are HAZ MAT and a no go on a passenger flight! I'm an airline pilot and HAZ MAT documents pass through my hands on every flight. That's not to say that some stuff slips by the counter girls but declared HAZ MAT items are rejected.

Don't get any bright ideas about undeclared items, the penalties are high and not worth it.

Primers are classified 1.4 under IOTA.
    No they cannot go in your baggage.

Loaded ammunition is ORM-D and can go in your baggage.

Sticky from the shooting forum:
    Flying with your guns and ammo?

These two web sites cover the Government rules.

Airlines also have thier own rules.

Might be good to print all these off and have them with you when your travel.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

http://safetravel.dot.gov/index_ammunition.html

More:

May I carry ammunition components?
    • You may carry separate non-hazardous components of ammunition such as empty cartridge cases or inert bullets. You may NOT carry separate hazardous components such as black powder, smokeless powder, percussion caps, primers, wrapped charges used in muzzle-loading applications, or similar items

Rules is rules....but it doesn't make sense to me to be able to take LOADED AMMO in factory containers in your checked baggage, but can not take either primers or smokeless powder separately in factory containers in checked baggage!!!

The logic (and science) is that primers inserted in a cartridge are less likely to go off, and if one does, there will not be a mass detonation.

Loaded ammo does not have the tendency to explode, even in a fire.

Thank you for everyone who responded. Too bad, it is also NO-NO. Will wait for primers in AK.

SERGEIMA

Just 2 weeks ago, I flew Outside for 10 days and considered buying primers if I saw any. The Alaska Airlines representative, when checking in, told me NO PROBLEM bringing primers back in my luggage, that they were the same as finished ammo ...keep them in the original containers and NO NEED to declare them. And no, for the curious, I did not find the primers that I was looking for! Maybe the gal was wrong, or maybe not, but she sure seemed to know all about them. I got the impression that lots of travelers were wondering if they could bring primers home if they found some...

Brian

TananaBrian

What's up with your logo?

http://www.freewebs.com/jeffhead/lib...agdistress.htM

My bright idea was to fly down south with a bunch of empty 30-06 brass and a hand primer. If I found some primers I was going to insert them into the cases then transport them in the appropriate container. I would declare them as loaded ammo. I was hoping to load about 100 or so and that would get me by for this season. As it turns out, I found 300 Large Rifle primers at Mt. View Sports (the last 300) so I will not be executing my plan. And no, I don't want to sell them. Good luck.

Default Primers

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    Just 2 weeks ago, I flew Outside for 10 days and considered buying primers if I saw any. The Alaska Airlines representative, when checking in, told me NO PROBLEM bringing primers back in my luggage, that they were the same as finished ammo ...keep them in the original containers and NO NEED to declare them.
    Brian
    If/when TSA finds your primers, they would not allow them on the aircraft.
    Probably not worth the risk and the hassle.

see: http://safetravel.dot.gov/index_ammunition.html

May I carry ammunition components?
    • You may carry separate non-hazardous components of ammunition such as empty cartridge cases or inert bullets. You may NOT carry separate hazardous components such as black powder, smokeless powder, percussion caps, primers, wrapped charges used in muzzle-loading applications, or similar items

The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

Makes sense to me, maybe he is one of the newly crowned radical extremist's hoarder of ammo, guns and food.

Quote Originally Posted by rdrash View Post
    The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

Makes sense to me, maybe he is one of the newly crowned radical extremist's hoarder of ammo, guns and food.
    Works for me, he who don't stock up can't find any stock today!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    TananaBrian

What's up with your logo?

http://www.freewebs.com/jeffhead/lib...agdistress.htM
    From your link above:

"a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."

Can you convince me that your property (money, land, guns, ammo) is not in extreme danger from the current administration? And how about your kids? Your grand kids? How about risking the whole country with spending that makes all previous administrations pale in comparison ...spending so high that it has to have a huge impact on the value of the dollar, and is already risking that other countries will no longer finance us ...for that very same reason? Should the US dollar fail to be accepted as the currency of choice for cash holdings and the world's largest (oil, etc) trades, do you know what kind of uber-inflation that will cause, and the resulting crash of our economy? Our news media will never report on these things, but the information is out there. Study the economic cycles of countries that get in a spot like we are putting ourselves into. Rent Commanding Heights: The Battle for the World Economy for a study on the topic. You not only won't find this stuff on the news, you won't find in your kids' school either.

Yes, the "to life" part of the clause above is not met yet, but the property clause absolutely is. In any case, if you can justify the policies and economics of the current administration well enough, then I'll consider turning the flag right side up as I, a veteran, would prefer. I hope you can change my mind.

Brian

Brian,

I don't doubt the severitry of the current situation. I'm not a Dem! Last year my 401K lost 49%, this year another 12% so far. My home has lost 30% of it's peak value over the last two years. There are several homes in forecloser around here.

I have two kids that I worry about more than you can imagine. I'm not a veteran but my father fought in WW II and Korea, thanks for your service.

I just noticed your flag was up side down and wondered what was up in your world. Take no offense, I feel your pain.

marshall

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Brian,

I don't doubt the severitry of the current situation. I'm not a Dem! Last year my 401K lost 49%, this year another 12% so far. My home has lost 30% of it's peak value over the last two years. There are several homes in forecloser around here.

I have two kids that I worry about more than you can imagine. I'm not a veteran but my father fought in WW II and Korea, thanks for your service.

I just noticed your flag was up side down and wondered what was up in your world. Take no offense, I feel your pain.

marshall
    I have an interesting report, from McAlvany I believe, that shows how the US economy was boosted along by consumer credit, mortgage equity loans in particular, and how that came to an end because there wasn't much left to borrow ...equity that is. So those people, apparently a lot of them, who were living on a lot of credit and equity loans ran out of steam and were no longer big spenders. Gross domestic product was suffering along at the same time and not providing the income to back up the spending. Add the Community Reinvestment Act (I think that's the name) that as of Clinton when it got enough 'teeth', created the whole secondary or sub-prime mortage market and it's derivatives (credit default swaps, structured investment vehicles ...mortgage backed securities gone wild) and the resets that raised people's interest rates and payments, followed by their foreclosures ...and voila! You've got the answer to why we are here. Several people in Washington failed to regulate the sub-prime market and Americans in general were living well beyond their means, as is our country (even more so now) ...it couldn't last forever. The only answer is free market and a correction for these wrongs. The answer is NOT borrowing and spending more. At most, if that boosts industries, it'll delay the pain for some ...but hey, our lenders (China etc) area already balking at lending us more. The writing on the wall says that the CURRENT situation CANNOT go on forever ...unless we allow the correction and subsequent conservative growth to occur, we are merely setting ourselves up for an even greater failure. Get debt-free. Reduce your cost of living. And pray to God your job is stable... 2010 through 2012 are going to be interesting times. Oh wait ...the media said "recovery by the end of the year". Sorry! ...I forgot about that! I'm glad Obama is going to pose (hairless and) shirtless for a magazine cover. That'll fix the economy! And it'll scare the beejeebees out of Iran and make them change their mind about annihilating Israel!

Brian

I agree, I think a lot of people that couldn't afford to buy did so only because the restrictions were lifted and credit was available without even proving worth. The "stated income" loan was one of those.

People with good credit would say they made more than they really did so they could get a loan. They would pay interest only in hopes of make more money later or sell after the house or property rose in value. When the market tanked these people had zero equity and zero cash so they came tumbling down. It's happening all around me out here.

These same people didn't care for their property and ran it into the ground. Some of these nuts would take out 125% equity and buy boats, motor homes, luxury cars, etc. A house up the street that was bought 2 years ago for $675K just auctioned off for $210K. In reality it would cost about 150 bucks per square foot to build that house and it's 3150 square feet. A fair price would have been $475K but these house's are everywhere in the Phoenix area. Every time one sells for .30 cents on the dollar everyone else gets the shaft.

If a normal guy like me needed to sell and relocate forget it, we're stuck until this correction is over. Perhaps 2-3 years might be enough time to get housing back on track, maybe not. A lot of people have over spent and now everyone else will have to pay, that sucks!