Thread: Steese HWY float ?

Default Steese HWY float ?

Just wondering if anyone has done the trip off the Steese HWY VIA birch Creek. Mostly wondering on camp sites, other people and how many days.

any info helps and thank you

Default Birch Cr

Done Birch creek in a canoe a couple times. Great run! I did it mid-June both times. The run down Twelvemile Cr can be tight due to winter shelf ice remaining. The run can take between 6-12 days to the Steese bridge between Central and Circle, depending on experience level. It's about 150 miles. Took me 10 easy days. Water levels can vary DRAMATICALLY depending on weather. I was once nearly washed out of my tent on a sandbar one morning after a heavy rain. The water had risen about 5 feet throughout the night.
    There are plenty of places to camp and typically not too many people.
    You should expect Class III/+ rapids in two places, otherwise Class I/II.

I'd love to do it again someday, it's a great trip.

Default Thanks

SkinneyRiver,

Thanks so much for all the great information and that was what I was looking for. Would you say its a canoe only or do you feel a raft too might be OK? Also the last question is wondering howthe fishing is?

Enjoy the day and thanks for your words of advice.

A canoe makes it a bit more challenging. Any way you float it, it's a great run. The flats (the last 40-50 miles) is slow and meandering (much like the Chena river in downtown FBKS) so a raft would take some effort or more time to complete.
    Fishing is decent depending on water level. Grayling mostly. You'll find 'em in the usual spots.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyriver View Post
    A canoe makes it a bit more challenging. Any way you float it, it's a great run. The flats (the last 40-50 miles) is slow and meandering (much like the Chena river in downtown FBKS) so a raft would take some effort or more time to complete.
    Fishing is decent depending on water level. Grayling mostly. You'll find 'em in the usual spots.
    Thanks for all the help, and you are always welcome at our fire!!